Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2005, 05:33 PM   #1

I have hooked up to my new 5er several times now preparing for my first trip, and find that in order to hitch up, the truck needs to be exactly in line with the 5er in order for the tailgate (in the down position) not to hit the front of the 5er. I assume that the "v" in the replacement tailgate will allow a hitchup without this problem. Is this the way to go?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2005, 05:33 PM   #2

I have hooked up to my new 5er several times now preparing for my first trip, and find that in order to hitch up, the truck needs to be exactly in line with the 5er in order for the tailgate (in the down position) not to hit the front of the 5er. I assume that the "v" in the replacement tailgate will allow a hitchup without this problem. Is this the way to go?
Old 08-17-2005, 07:09 PM   #3

I bought a "V" vented tailgate primarily for better visibility when backing up w/o the trailer. Being able to hookup w/o dropping the tailgate is an added benefit. BTW, with my stock tailgate down, I could approach at almost any anlgle w/o hitting the camper.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:13 AM   #4

I am probably more klutzy than most, but I put a ding in the door on the front of the fifth wheel with the regular tail gate by backing up at a bit of an angle. I bought a vented, v-notched tailgate from Camping World and am very happy with the ease of hook up and unhooking.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:57 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I have a low profile companion box from Highway Products that mounts in the back of the bed. I do not use the tailgate with the box installed. Gives me plenty of clearance at any angle. In 4 years of 5th wheeling, I have dinged the tailgate forgetting to put it down when backing up to the trailer, and dented a front storage door backing up at an angle to the trailer with the tailgate down.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:25 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies to my question. I am convinced that either a "v" tailgate or the neat low profile box would be a good investment. I am prone to live by the rule of Murphy's Law, so I plan to be as proactive as possible. I have found the Custom Flow brand tailgate in Camping World's catalog and was wondering if that is the one that is best to buy? I sure like the box at Highway Products but not sure it would be compatable with the things (EU2000 etc) I plan to place in the rear of the truck. Any other input on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks to all.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:03 AM   #7

I bought the custom flow tailgate and really like it. My clearance with my Alfa was to close for the regular tailgate so I opted to spend the $$$ on the cusom flow. It is very easy to change out as I don't normally leave it on. Takes about 2 minutes to change tailgates. Good quality, metal not plastic.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:44 AM   #8

In most cases, if your king pin passes over the center of vee within and inch, you'll be at the right hieght for hooking up.

It also helps release the hurricane thats going on back there, from the wind blast coming off the front of the fiver.

Mileage when not towing, not much if any at all with my truck. The cummins don't know its hooked to anything without the trailer.

Dave
Old 08-20-2005, 02:52 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Threevagabonds:
I am prone to live by the rule of Murphy's Law, so I plan to be as proactive as possible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just remember. The chances of dinging the tailgate are directly proportional to the number of people watching you.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 02:40 PM   #10

A true statement if there ever was one.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:20 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I use the 5th wheel turbo net gate, cheap, $75, works great, and last a long time. One ding in the front of the fiver was enough for me.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:39 AM   #12

Thanks Vette Racer. Is that gate strong enough to keep things in the bed from becoming part of the roadway? I have seen them on the road, but don't know much about them. How easy are they to put up and take down? I do like the price!
Old 08-23-2005, 06:42 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
turbo net

Here's a pict of it. When I removed my stock gate and put this on it ended the air turbulence back there. I always put stuff in the bed without a problem but I wouldn't recommend putting something real light back there or it might fly out anyway. It installs with drilling a couple of holes if you follow directions. I didn't, I found that there was holes I could use already there so did that instead of drilling. All you have to do to take it down, and/or out, is pull a pin or two and remove it. I've had mine on for two years now and it still looks great. You can't climb on it or things like that but you don't need to anyway. My 2 cents.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:04 PM   #14

Thanks for the information on the net. Now all I have to do is decide, net or tailgate, not always an easy thing to do.