Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #1

fifth wheel vs bumper pull?

We're thinking about buying a Weekend Warrior toyhauler - either a 37 fifth wheel or
36 foot bumper pull. I worry that the 36 foot bumper pull is too long? Also - what are the advantages or disadvantages of both? Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The answer is.......it all depends. What will you be towing the toyhauler with? A 5th wheel transfers ~20% of its loaded weight to the tow vehicle, where it counts against the tow vehicle's GVWR and rear GAWR. On the other hand, a TT (or "bumper pull") design transfers ~10%-12% of its loaded weight to the tow vehicle as hitch weight, counting against GVWR and rear GAWR.

Therefore, if you're thinking of using a SRW heavy duty (either a 3/4 ton or, preferably, a 1 ton) truck as your tow vehicle, then you'll be more likely to fall within the truck's ratings with the TT design. If you're using a DRW "dually", then the 5th wheel might work.

Both of the toyhaulers you describe are on the large end of the scale - they're going to be heavy, so you'll need a tow vehicle that's capable of handling whichever one you select. Also, you'll need a hitch that's adequate for the total weight and the pin/hitch weight of the loaded toyhauler.

Rusty

RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2....like Rusty said.

First off do not believe a word the dealers tell you about what you can tow.

Visit this site for help on the tow terms and ratings.RV and Tow Vehicle Weights

There is a easy to use spread sheet at the bottom to make it easier.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will second that "Do not believe" To a dealer there is one and only one problem, that is a blank signature line on the contract.. "Can I tow it" is thus answered "No problem" because, that is the answer that gets the signature on the aforementioned line.

A 35 foot 20,000 pound trailer can thus, per the dealer, be towed by a Chevy Luv pick up or an S-10 (no way on earth that's gonna work well but to the sales person "No problem", Well, not his problem anyway)

Chevy 30.. HD options and tow package.. Perhaps.

I would see if you can ride with both a TT and a 5er owner for a few miles, no need to drive, just ride shotgun.. I know some folks like the TT because they will put a topper on the pick up and use it like so many use their garage (Storage) or for their golf car.

Some prefer the way a 5-er handles.

This is (in part) why they make both, because choice is good and what works for me may well not work for you.. What works for me? Class A.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On the towing and ride, we have had travel trailers and 5ers. In general a 5er will be easier to tow since the pivot point is ahead of the trucks axles. However, a properly set up and well balanced TT will do fine with the right tow vehicle.

My 34' Avion is a triple axle torsion suspension and I use a Reese Dual Cam Straightline hitch. Cross winds and trucks are not a problem with my set up.

One thing to remember is that I have never heard of anyone complaining about having too much truck....but you do heard about ones with not enough truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

As Rusty mentioned, you can tow a comparable TT with less truck than a 5er. So depending on your tow vehicle, you might have enough truck to tow a TT but not a comparable 5er.

Weekend Warrior did a belly flop in 2008 - after the website had been updated with info about the 2009 models. So not much info available for later than 2009 models. They are still working on a comeback:
Weekend Warrior | The Original Factory | Toy Haulers

2009 model CR3705 5er had a GVWR of 16,000 pounds, so a wet and loaded hitch weight of around 3,000 to 3,200 pounds. That will overload almost all SRW diesel-powered pickups, and it will overload a lot of the older DRWs too. So before you decide you can't live without that one, weigh your wet and loaded truck and be sure you have at least 3,000 pounds of unused payload for the hitch weight of a 16,000-pound 5er.

2009 model FSWL3200 TT had a GVWR of 13,000 and a wet and loaded hitch weight of 1,300 to 1560 pounds. So before you decide you can't live without that one, weigh your wet and loaded truck and be sure you have at least 1,300 pounds of unused payload for the hitch weight of a 13,000-pound TT, and be sure your receiver and all the parts of your hitch are rated for at least 13,000 pounds trailer weight.

A typical trailer toter rig is a 2005 or newer F-250 SRW diesel CrewCab 4x4. It has a GVWR of 10,000 pounds and weighs around 8,000 when wet and ready for the road. So it has a max unused payload for hitch weight of about 2,000 pounds. No way can it safely tow the 16k 5er, but it should be able to handle the TT okay - provided your receiver and hitch are rated high enough.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #7

One consideration is overhang behind the trailer axles, and distance between trailer and the ground. A "bumper hitch" trailer sits lower than a 5er. The 34' trailer might cause problems when negotiating uneven terrain, like deep curbs at filling stations, etc. I once saw a hot-shotter towing a long TT hung up on the curb at a Flying J station while driving back to the street.

« ford tow haul | Oil »