Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #1

Fifth wheel weight

Called a major rv dealer in my area to find out if they weigh rv trailers by axle so I could have info I need to be safe on the road. I was asked why would you want to do that!! WOW, the knowledge some rv salespeople have. Lol

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appy View Post
Called a major rv dealer in my area to find out if they weigh rv trailers by axle so I could have info I need to be safe on the road. I was asked why would you want to do that!! WOW, the knowledge some rv salespeople have. Lol
The weight on each trailer axle is rarely important. Any CAT scale will give you the weight on the combined trailer axles, front axle and rear axle of he tow vehicle, and combined weight of your rig.

In your case, use the CAT scale ticket to compare the combined weight on the front and rear axles of the tow vehicle to the GVWR of the tow vehicle. With your very heavy luxury trailer, that's the most likely area where you'll be overloaded.

Compare the combined weight on your trailer axles to the combined GAWR of the trailer axles. Breaking down the trailer axle weight to individual axles would be "nice to know" perhaps, but not necessary for safe towing. Any well-designed trailer such as your Mobil Suites is unlikely to have a problem with too much weigh on one axle but not the others.

Compare the combined weight of the rig to the GCWR of the tow vehicle. If you don't exceed any of the tow vehicle's weight ratings, then you're probably good to go.

The only way I know of to get individual trailer axle weights would be to put only one axle on the scale at one time. That can be done for two trailer axles with two trips across the CAT scale, but I have no idea how you'd weigh the middle axle of a tri-axle 5er. Hmmm. Maybe weigh the rear axle of the trailer, then weigh the back two axles of the trailer. Subtract the weight on the rear axle from the weight on the back two axles to get the weight on the middle axle?

More important on your luxury 5er would be to weigh the trailer axles on each side separately. Having more weight on one side than the other is a lot more dangerous than having a different weigh on each trailer axle.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
The weight on each trailer axle is rarely important.

More important on your luxury 5er would be to weigh the trailer axles on each side separately. Having more weight on one side than the other is a lot more dangerous than having a different weigh on each trailer axle.
X2, with a fairly level trailer and leaf springs, the equalizer will minimize difference between the front and rear axles. But nothing compensates for side-to-side differences, except obtaining the info and maybe changing how cargo is loaded.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #4

My new fifth wheel was weighed as it came out of the factory, and a weight sheet came with the trailer. It weighs 11K, with a pin weight of 2K.

The right side of my trailer has 2 small slides and 1 large slide (kitchen). That side was 700 lbs. more than my left side with a large slide with a oversized couch.

I'm switching over to Bridgestone Duravis R250's, and I have enough tire capacity for the heavier side.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Just have to find the right dealer with the right people who care.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
My new fifth wheel was weighed as it came out of the factory, and a weight sheet came with the trailer. It weighs 11K, with a pin weight of 2K.

The right side of my trailer has 2 small slides and 1 large slide (kitchen). That side was 700 lbs. more than my left side with a large slide with a oversized couch.

I'm switching over to Bridgestone Duravis R250's, and I have enough tire capacity for the heavier side.

and that was before you loaded your "stuff" and bowling ball collection into the Rv.

A reasonable assumption is to assume the two axles are split 45/55%
ALSO assume the heavy (55%) axle is split side to side 45/55%.
You select the heavy side to confirm that with full inflation (pressure molded on the tire) you have AT LEAST 10% reserve load.

ONLY after finding a scale that allows one side of an axle to be weighed and AFTER you use a worksheet like THIS or as found HERE can you make any other assumptions on tire loading.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:55 PM   #7
Commercial Member

How to weigh your RV for free
Old 02-27-2015, 04:57 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:

What? You expected them to know anything technical. You have got to remember that some sales people were selling washing machines last month.
Many (most?) SEEM ONLY CAPABLE OF SELLING THE "BLING"
Old 02-27-2015, 05:13 PM   #9

"My new fifth wheel was weighed as it came out of the factory, and a weight sheet came with the trailer. It weighs 11K, with a pin weight of 2K."

While it may not be relevant, I would be suspicious of any figures that come out even as those did. Was it a certified scale ticket, or a form from the mfg?

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:59 PM   #10

Quote:
I doubt you going to find any RV dealer that will weigh his trailers by the axle. The newer trailers have a shipping weight that is a scaled weight. Subtract the dry hitch weight from that number will get you close to the load on the axles.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Weight from factory is only of value if you do not carry any food, water, tools, propane or clothes.

To those that say "axle weight" isn't important I have to ask how you know you are not one out of every two RV owners with one or more tires in overload?

The facts are that there are many RV with 500 to 1,000 lbs tire to tire load difference.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:29 PM   #12

RV trailer manufacturers are not required to weigh their trailers before they leave the factory. Any options over 100# installed after the RV trailer leaves the factory require the seller (before first sale) to modify the cargo label. Propane systems installed as original equipment are part of the trailers certified GVWR.

The RV trailer manufacturer’s published hitch weight is necessary because it’s part of the FMVSS regulations. It’s value added to the trailer’s total GAWR values MUST equal or exceed GVWR. After the trailer is sold the hitch weight is the responsibility of the trailer owner.

Here is another link about RV weights.

http://www.trucktires.com/bridgestone/us_eng/press/zip/WeighForm.pdf

FastEagle

FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight