Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #1

Figures

Tomorrow AM we leave for our two weeks at the lake with the camper and boat. Today the TV goes kaput. Pretty sure it's the alternator. 2003 Excursion with 7.3 diesel. Battery light came on and voltage dropped way down. When I hooked volt meter up to battery with engine running they read just over 10V. Shut truck off and it barely started. Has two Interstate batteries that are less than 5 months old. Also, the OD light would blink. Ive heard that can actually happen with these vehicles maybe im wrong Got home OK and an appointment to get it fixed in the AM. Had to pay the guy an extra $100. But that's better than not having my vehicle for the trip.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2012, 03:10 AM   #2

Better now than on the road. That is one of the easiest alts to change out but I guess you don't work on your own rigs? Why is he charging you an extra $100.00? Are you on a deserted island with only one mechanic?

FishaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #3

Small town, only one repair place not open on weekends. Coming in just to do it for me. So in a way it kind of is a desert island i guess in fairness I offered it to him for his troubles and coming in on day he doesn't work. I know I hate getting calls on my time off. Used to do most of my own work, just don't any more. No reason, just don't do it. About time to look at replacing TV, but nothing I can find will fit myself, wife, four kids and two dogs and be a diesel. Until then I'll keep fixing Excursion. Besides, I love it.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I've got to commend you for asking for something from someone and not complaining that there is surcharge for the extra effort you request. Hope the TV gets fixed and you all have a great camping trip.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto on a good tip for good and timely service !
and you are actually lucky to find someone that would work over - MANY won't !

My choice too to pay others -
I do other things well, so I pay people to do the things I don't want to do

fyi, I absolutely LOVED the three Excursions I had, but with the latest being an 05 with MANY miles on it, we opted for a new crew cab Superduty and haven't looked back...

We didn't NEED the space in the Ex, we just liked it, but you, on the other hand, NEED one good luck and hope it works out !
Old 07-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDJS View Post
Small town, only one repair place not open on weekends. Coming in just to do it for me. So in a way it kind of is a desert island i guess in fairness I offered it to him for his troubles and coming in on day he doesn't work. I know I hate getting calls on my time off. Used to do most of my own work, just don't any more. No reason, just don't do it. About time to look at replacing TV, but nothing I can find will fit myself, wife, four kids and two dogs and be a diesel. Until then I'll keep fixing Excursion. Besides, I love it.
All makes sense now. Thanks and have a great trip!

FishaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote