Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #1

Figuring the weight of my 5th wheel

Hello All,
Embarrassing I must say about this weight distribution, pull weight on my 5th wheel. I am pulling a 5th wheel with a dry weigh (by plated located in the kitchen) of 9100 lbs. Not sure if that is correct weight as someone told me it does not include appliance etc. So I loaded up and went to the scales. My front axle weight is 4,250. My rear axle with 5th wheel hitch loaded is 5,800. My 5th wheel weight at the axles are 7,900. OK lol. This doesn't help me. I am admitted a little confused about the area and if I am overloaded. I have a 97 Dodge dually 12 valver. The GVWR is 11k. The GAWR of the front is 4,850. The rear is 7,500. Am I in trouble lol. And in this calculation is it close to the 9100 lbs of the 5th wheel GVWR. I know this is all approximate due to fuel, hitch etc. Any help would be appreciated in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
usually when you go to a truck stop and weigh your rig, they also let you drop the trailer and weigh the truck separately. The ones I've gone to did not charge any extra for that. Assuming you are no longer at the truck stop, gather your family together, load the truck with your gear, fill the tank and get the truck weighed. At that point subtract the truck weight from the combined weight (that you should already have from when you weighed the combination) and that will give you your trailer weight.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Rangerbob,
What is the GAWR of the trailer axles, if the GAWR is more than 7900# then you are good to go, if it is less, then you have to either remove some equipment, or rearrange things to get weight off the trailer axles. You are good on your truck, but not sure on the trailer.

Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The 9100# is the dry weight of the trailer, the GVW of the trailer should be on a plate on the outside of the trailer, it will also have the GAWR of each axle and the tire size and max. pressure that the trailer came with. I would make an educated guess that you are ok on your weights, but cannot be sure without the GAVW and the GVW of the trailer.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #5

Without knowing more about your truck weights and the trailer GVW, I can say this: I used to pull a 5er with a GVW of 10,500# with a 96 Dodge CTD 3/4T pickup. The truck and 5er were well matched, but I would not have wanted to tow a 5er with a higher GVW. Your 97 Dually should be fine for your 5er's weight.
BUT_ you should weigh your truck, loaded ready to go camping to be sure you are not exceeding the trucks GCWR.
This towing weights calculator will help with your calculations.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #6

Front axle 4250
Rear axle 5800
Trailer 7900 Total combined weight is 17950 if the weights are when hitched
up.

GVWR for truck is 11000? Front axle loaded + rear axle loaded = 10050, ok there.
GAWR front is 4850, loaded = 4250, ok there
GAWR rear is 7500, loaded is 5800?, ok there
Probably ok with total gross weight, but the Gross Combined Weight Rating on your truck is not known.

Other things missing are the unloaded truck axle weights and GVWR of trailer. Only way to get the unloaded truck numbers is take it to scale as loaded for camping. Then reweigh with trailer hitched up as loaded for camping. Then you will have everything you need for calculations.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #7

Location: Returned to home in CA to become a grandparent for the first time.
There is a much better weight calculator at FifthWheelSt.com
Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
What is the fifth wheel weight the PU rated to tow?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerbob View Post
Hello All,
Embarrassing I must say about this weight distribution, pull weight on my 5th wheel. I am pulling a 5th wheel with a dry weigh (by plated located in the kitchen) of 9100 lbs. Not sure if that is correct weight as someone told me it does not include appliance etc. So I loaded up and went to the scales. My front axle weight is 4,250. My rear axle with 5th wheel hitch loaded is 5,800. My 5th wheel weight at the axles are 7,900. OK lol. This doesn't help me. I am admitted a little confused about the area and if I am overloaded. I have a 97 Dodge dually 12 valver. The GVWR is 11k. The GAWR of the front is 4,850. The rear is 7,500. Am I in trouble lol. And in this calculation is it close to the 9100 lbs of the 5th wheel GVWR. I know this is all approximate due to fuel, hitch etc. Any help would be appreciated in advance.
You are real close to my specs. My 5th has a dry weight of 11,900. I have a 07 F-350 dually.
Weighed loaded it was:
FR: 4560
RA: 6000
3 Trailer axles: 11,740
Truck GVW hitched: 10,560 full fuel
Total GVW = 22,300

I'm well below all weight limits and since your rig is lighter and your truck a little older your rig should be good to go.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
What is the fifth wheel weight the PU rated to tow?
The towing capacity of any truck pulling a 5th wheel is the GCWR minus the weight of the truck when ready to tow....assuming you do not exceed the truck's cargo capacity with pin weight.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Dave View Post
There is a much better weight calculator at FifthWheelSt.com
Dave that appears to be a good website. The calculator is off in a couple areas IMO. It does not allow the provision of selecting the 20% safety margin most fulltimers use. It automatically assumes 25% pin weight, which is not the case for every 5er mfgr. Titanium for instance uses between 15% and 20%, if their published figures are correct.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #12

How come none of these newer guys come back to see the response to their questions after we all take the time to help them?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Dave that appears to be a good website. The calculator is off in a couple areas IMO. It does not allow the provision of selecting the 20% safety margin most fulltimers use. It automatically assumes 25% pin weight, which is not the case for every 5er mfgr. Titanium for instance uses between 15% and 20%, if their published figures are correct.
Ray, It is stated on the Truck & Trailer Weight Safety Report under "Hitch" the following:

"Automatically calculated at 25% (Industry Standard)"
"Never exceed manufacturer’s rating."

The industry standard for 5th wheel hitches is 25%. If you look at any of the published info for nearly all 5th wheel hitches you'll find that the maximum vertical load (VL) is calculated a 25%.

What is the other area you think is off on the report?
Old 10-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #14

Ray, there is a new line in "Section C - Report." Now you'll see "Vertical Load (Kingpin) Percentage." This is for those who'd like to know what is the percentage of the "Trailer Gross Weight" on the kingpin.

Tags
weight