Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #1

Firestone Airbags - Inflation

Good Evening

A question to the other members using Firestone Airbags on their tow vehicle;

We have had 3 5thwheels before and are fresh out of a Class A back into a 41' Landmark. Across the scales the trailer is just under 16,000, pin weight @ 3000 lbs. We are towing with a 2012 Ram CC, Long box, dually, 6.7 HO with 3.73 gears.

The truck was squatting alot with the factory springs so we installed the firestone air bag kit. As many know the operating pressure range is 5-100 PSI. If i set the bag pressure to 60 PSI the truck still squats too much and if I raise the pressure to say 80PSI it unloads the springs and they rattle and bang as I go over every bump!

Any other users have a method their using to find/calculate the pressure to find the sweet spot for the airbags?

Adam Hunter

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would try 70 .

You traded your Scepter ?

Old 08-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I would try 70 .

You traded your Scepter ?
Yes.....Don't hold it against me. The Scepter was a nice unit and we enjoyed having it alot. We strongly considered going into a Newmar and I even looked at 2 used Prevosts - but we just couldn't obtain the space we needed for the family at the pricepoint we needed to be at.
We had spent a considerable amount of $$$ getting the Scepter straight and decorated the way we wanted it but at the end of the day it just seemed like there was a hole somewhere in the middle of it where it consumed cash!

My wife and I had owned a Heartland Toyhauler before and we like their customer service but we wanted a unit with build quality on the upper end and a 5thwheel with a motorhome like feel inside - we think the Landmark is a good fit for us. By the time you add a decent tow vehicle to the trailer we have the same money tied up in the new rig.
It was a pleasant surprise though when I bought 6 new tires for the Ram for the same price as 2 steers for the Scepter!

At any rate to get this thread back on track;

I am off for the Labour Day long weekend I am going to try changing the pressure on the bags both to and from the camp site. I will start with your 70PSI.
And hopefully I find a sweet spot.

Travel Safe.

Adam
Old 08-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #4

"Good Evening

A question to the other members using Firestone Airbags on their tow vehicle;

We have had 3 5thwheels before and are fresh out of a Class A back into a 41' Landmark. Across the scales the trailer is just under 16,000, pin weight @ 3000 lbs. We are towing with a 2012 Ram CC, Long box, dually, 6.7 HO with 3.73 gears.

The truck was squatting alot with the factory springs so we installed the firestone air bag kit. As many know the operating pressure range is 5-100 PSI. If i set the bag pressure to 60 PSI the truck still squats too much and if I raise the pressure to say 80PSI it unloads the springs and they rattle and bang as I go over every bump!

Any other users have a method their using to find/calculate the pressure to find the sweet spot for the airbags?"

Adam Hunter

3K is nothing for that truck. There is nothing wrong with your truck sitting level when loaded. That is how they are designed. I have a 2011 RAM 3500 Dually and my Mobile Suites pin weight is 4,500#. I hauled for one year without bags. Some of the roads were really bad we traveled on. I installed Bilstien 4600 shocks and PacBrake bags. I run them 5 psi solo and when the RV sits on the truck the pressure rises to 30psi. That is where I run my bags. At that pressure the ride height is not changed. But the ride with the bags and shocks is really improved.

Seriously all you are going to do is make for a horrible ride with that much pressure.

I run 45 rear solo and 60 rear loaded. Fronts 80 all the time. I just checked the Michelin MS2's and they are all within 1/32" of being the same tread depth.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #5

I would measure your wheel gap before and after. Air it up based on your wheel gap, and not necessarily the level of the 5th wheel. Perhaps you have a height issue with your hitch and and pin which makes it not level. Ideally you want your suspension to be a little squatted for travel. If you are airing up all the way to get your 5th wheel level and at the top range of your suspension when you start down the road, you're going to have issues.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:37 PM   #6

Thanks for the input.

We previously pulled a Cyclone toy hauler with a 2008 F450 and it made the that truck squat too - airbags on that combination solved the problem. The Ram is new to me and I am trying to get settled into the new combination.

I might do a reweigh on the pin weight; empty it should be 2400 lbs and I came up with 3350 when I did it in July. But it might be worthwhile double checking my numbers, I am very fussy when it comes to loading.
I have a tool box, the pull rite hitch and a fairly solid Yamaha in the truck box too.

So just so we are clear, this new to me Ram is all stock except the airbags, it never pulled before I purchased it and only has @ 17000 miles on it.
But she was really nose high before I put the airbags on it when hitched.
And,
This is not about the coach not being level, the trailer front to rear is ok and the pull-rite hitch is at the correct height.

I think tomorrow I will hitch a little early before I head out for the weekend and try changing the air pressure. I'll have a go at rreducing the pressure way down so the truck just sits level.

Thanks again, I will update the thread next week after we are back home.

Adam
Old 08-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hunter View Post
Thanks for the input.

We previously pulled a Cyclone toy hauler with a 2008 F450 and it made the that truck squat too - airbags on that combination solved the problem. The Ram is new to me and I am trying to get settled into the new combination.

I might do a reweigh on the pin weight; empty it should be 2400 lbs and I came up with 3350 when I did it in July. But it might be worthwhile double checking my numbers, I am very fussy when it comes to loading.
I have a tool box, the pull rite hitch and a fairly solid Yamaha in the truck box too.

So just so we are clear, this new to me Ram is all stock except the airbags, it never pulled before I purchased it and only has @ 17000 miles on it.
But she was really nose high before I put the airbags on it when hitched.
And,
This is not about the coach not being level, the trailer front to rear is ok and the pull-rite hitch is at the correct height.

I think tomorrow I will hitch a little early before I head out for the weekend and try changing the air pressure. I'll have a go at rreducing the pressure way down so the truck just sits level.

Thanks again, I will update the thread next week after we are back home.

Adam
Post a picture of your combo on flat ground I will bet the truck is sitting level not nose high. The space between the top of the front tire and fender will not change since you will add less than 200# to the front tires loaded.

Set your bags at 30psi loaded and enjoy the ride. As I said get rid of the POS factory shocks with Bilstein's.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #8

I will try to fit in some pics before I leave this afternoon,

I swopped out the 10 Monroe shocks on our last motorhome for 10 Bilisteins and were very impressed - I guess that is a fall project for this Ram as well!

Adam.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #9

So here are some pics of the configuration;

Unloaded truck - no pin weight
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	72331  
Old 08-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #10

Pic #2

Truck with full pin weight - No air in bags.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	66
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	72332  
Old 08-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #11

Pic#3

Another view; 0 PSI in airbags.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	73
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	72333  
Old 08-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #12

Pic#4

Full pin weight - airbags at 40PSI.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	77
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	72334  
Old 08-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
40psi looks allright. I take back my 70psi recomendation .

I guess after replacing 10 Bilstiens, 4 will be pocket change !
Old 08-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #14

I think Cummins12V98 had it right;

30 - 40 PSI looks ok. I will give it a try this weekend and let everyone know how I made out next week with that pressure.
I guess I assumed I needed more air in them.....we all don't have automatic levelling valves like your Scepter!

And yes 4 will seem like a steal compared to 10!!!!

Have a great weekend.

Adam