Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #15

If I were buying tires today, I'd look at these: Radial Trail HD

I had good luck with a set of Maxxis, but the Carlisle are more readily available and have an 80mph speed rating.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
If you upgrade rims, I would go to 16" because there are so many more tire choices and ply ratings available.
Most TTs that came with 14" tires don't have room in the wheel wells, or enough space between the axles, to mount 16" tires on 16" rims. So measure carefully before you commit to a tire size bigger than the ones that came on your trailer.

If I'm goin to buy 16" trailer tires, they're going to be Michelin XPS Rib. XPS Rib tires are commercial truck tires rated for all-position service, including trailer service. Very few other brands have 16" LT tires rated for trailer service. Even the wonderful Michelin LTX LT tires are not rated for trailer service. XPS Ribs are available in 4 sizes only. Here they are in order of overall diameter:

LT225/75R16E = 29.4" diameter, 2.680 pounds max load @ 80 PSI
LT215/85R16E = 30.7" diameter, 2,680 pounds max load @ 80 PSI
LT245/75R16E = 32" diameter, 3,042 pounds max load @ 80 PSI
LT235/85R16E = 32" diameter, 3,042 pounds max load @ 80 PSI

Click on this link for prices and specs of XPS Rib tires from TireRack.com: Michelin XPS Rib

Size LT235/85R16E were common size on a lot of 3/4-ton pickups back in the 1990s. My '99.5 F-250 diesel had that size. I ran XPX Rib on the front axle and XPS Traction on the rear axle and wore out three sets of those expensive (but worth it!) tires.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
I bought new wheels and tires and sold the Chinese stuff on Craigslist. Just bypass all the controversy and move on.
That's exactly what I did. Bought a brand new Jayco in March and after two trips I changed wheels to 16" and put on a set of BFG commercial Ta's. I just didn't feel comfortable with the factory tires since they could carry 10,000lbs and my trailer GVW is 9,995. Also I cruise at 68 Mph, and on a downhill stretch I will go 70+ on an open highway with light traffic.

Everyone can debate the facts on ST's and how they are designed for trailers and are the best choice for trailers. The real facts are that ST tires BLOW and LT tires provide years of trouble free service loaded to the gills and over 65mph.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:19 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your Wind River came with 15 inch rims. Contact the Outdoors RV before trying to switch to 16 inch rims to make sure there is room for them.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:22 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for all the comments. Highway 4x4 is correct my Wind River came with Goodyear Marathon tires. I checked all my tire pressures before I left and made sure everything was spot on. I had noticed that the tire that blew looked slightly different than the rest of them. The center treads appeared to be pushed in and the treads were not even all the way across the tire. I think I am going to chalk this one up to a defective tire. No way to tell now. I think I will go to a load range E tire to give me some more breathing room. I do not know if Goodyear makes one in this size. Thanks again!
TST 507 TPMS system
N9GUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:08 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Maxxis makes a nice E for your TT. get the TPMS by TST for more peace of mind. You will always know the tire PSI and the temp.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:44 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9GUX View Post
I think I will go to a load range E tire to give me some more breathing room.
Maxxis makes the size ST225/75R15 in both D and E load ranges. I have Maxxis ST225/75R15 Load range D on one trailer and Load Range E on another. No tire problems with my Maxxis trailer tires.
ST Radial M8008 | Maxxis Tires USA

Discount Tire is a Maxxis dealer, but they don't push that brand because they make more profit on other brands. They probably won't have your size in stock, but they can order them and get them in a day or so.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:08 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Maxxis makes the size ST225/75R15 in both D and E load ranges. I have Maxxis ST225/75R15 Load range D on one trailer and Load Range E on another. No tire problems with my Maxxis trailer tires.

Discount Tire is a Maxxis dealer, but they don't push that brand because they make more profit on other brands. They probably won't have your size in stock, but they can order them and get them in a day or so.
Did you have Discount Tire mount them or did you have an RV dealer do it?
TST 507 TPMS system
N9GUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:35 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9GUX View Post
Did you have Discount Tire mount them or did you have an RV dealer do it?
Discount tire. Their stores are full-service tire stores, so trailers are no problem.. These Maxxis trailer tires were not on RV trailers. One trailer is an enclosed cargo trailer and the other is a flatbed utility trailer. The 5er also now has that size, but they were installed back when Cooper was still selling the Custom Trailer Plus in size ST225/75R15E. Cooper still makes good tires, but they no longer make the Custom Trailer Plus. The only trailer tires Cooper now makes are 22.5" and 24.5" big-rig truck tires.

When I needed trailer tires and Cooper no longer made them, I switched to Maxxis trailer tires. I've been pleased with the Maxxis trailer tires for several years.

Those Cooper Custom Trailer Plus tires must have been good tires. Mine were about 10 years old when I towed the 5er to Austin last week for it's final journey. No tire problems on that 300-mile trip through the Hill Country. The 5er now belongs to GrandDaughter, who plans to let 18-year-old GreatGrandDaughter live in it as a full time resident. (Yes, I'm old!)
Old 07-20-2016, 08:45 AM   #24

Replaced our Chinese Bombs and wheels. Come to find out the cheap wheels were also out of specs. Bought some higher quality aluminum wheels off of Etrailer. Bought the tires from Tirerack.com. Replaced our tires with the Goodyear G26 rib tire. Went with the 195/70R15 since we would have clearance issues with anything bigger. Night and Day difference between the sidewall strength and quality of tire. 12k or so on tires with no issues or problems. Figured I would invest $$$ now instead of money later to repair the damage from the cheap st tires.
BTW, found a place to install the tires through tireracks website. I try to avoid the rv dealers since they tend to overcharge.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:20 AM   #25

If you talk to Discount Tire (good outfit) ask them about the Radial Trail HD. Curious what they say and if they have them in stock.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
If you had a blowout for no reason, your tires were probably either overloaded or underinflated. And you haven't looked far enough to find good 14" ST tires that are not made in China.

I've had excellent service from Maxxis ST tires. For your trailer, go up one size to ST215/75R14, and be certain they are always inflated to 50 PSI cold. That word "cold" is important. Check the PSI in the tires the first thing before you move the trailer. If it's not 50 PSI, then you know you are underinflated. I have an air compressor mainly to check trailer tires the first thing in the morning. I park the trailer within reach of the air hose at night, then check the PSI the first thing the next morning. If the PSI is less than 50, I pump up the trailer tires.

I haven't had a blowout on a trailer tire since 1999, when my brand new fifth wheel trailer with Goodyear trailer tires had two blow outs on one long trip. For that trailer I upsized the 5 trailer tires from ST205/75R15C to ST225/75R15D with new wheels to reach the 6" wide minimum for the new tires. No more trailer tire problems, and I put about 100,000 miles on that trailer.

My 2012 TT also came with ST205/75R14C Goodyear tires. I was nervous dragging that trailer with those tires, so on a road trip I stopped in Charleston, South Carolina, and had them replaced with ST215/75R14C.

That size has weight capacity of 1,870 pounds per tire, or 3,740 per axle, or 7,480 per tandem axles. With a 25% fudge factor, that means you could have up to 5,610 trailer axle weight on a CAT scale without loading the trailer tires too heavy.

Discount Tire has Maxxis tires. They probably won't have your size in stock, but they can order them and get them in a day or so. So plan ahead.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...T%7Cpc%7C79782

ST tires are limited to 65 MPH, so if you are one of those speed demons legally cruising at the speed limit of 75 or 80 on I-10 or I-20 in west Texas, then don't be surprised if you have a blow out on a trailer tire, even with oversized and properly-inflated trailer tires.

My Maxxis trailer tires are made in Thailand. Still the "far east", but not China.
I haven't had a blowout, but I was looking at tires because of all of the stories I've read here and elsewhere. I have checked out local tire dealers, and all they have is Chinese brands for my size. I don't have a Discount Tire anywhere near me, so unless I can order it online and have it installed locally, that's out. Even the Goodyear trailer tires are made in China.

I'm going to take a look around for the Maxxis and other tires people have mentioned, and see if my trailer can handle getting a bigger wheel and tire.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2016, 12:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by daka320 View Post
Replaced our Chinese Bombs and wheels. Come to find out the cheap wheels were also out of specs. Bought some higher quality aluminum wheels off of Etrailer. Bought the tires from Tirerack.com. Replaced our tires with the Goodyear G26 rib tire. Went with the 195/70R15 since we would have clearance issues with anything bigger. Night and Day difference between the sidewall strength and quality of tire. 12k or so on tires with no issues or problems. Figured I would invest $$$ now instead of money later to repair the damage from the cheap st tires.
BTW, found a place to install the tires through tireracks website. I try to avoid the rv dealers since they tend to overcharge.
These look very interesting - much higher speed rating, load rating of D, and overall size is just slightly smaller than mine.