Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2015, 06:44 AM   #29

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
jburg,
I like the Lightning Edition, that's cool. One of the big problems with the Techs today is that there are very few mechanics among them, if they don't have the computer to tell them what is wrong, they are clueless. Most have no idea how to troubleshoot a system.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
I'll have better descriptions of what was replaced and the technical names of those things once the issue is resolved, but until then you'll need to settle with generic, meaningless descriptions.

The dealer collaborated with Chrysler as to what they thought the issue would be. The part came in this morning and was installed and now they have successful communication between the truck and their fancy scanner. However, it's still throwing a bunch of codes that apparently represent a truck that is not happy, so the dealer has ordered the requisite happiness parts and hope to have them Monday to finish the install and fix the problem. On a brighter note, I'll be taking their loaner on a trip we had planned, so I'll save a bundle on fuel!

CB, this truck has the proximity entry. If the key fob dies, the backup according to the owners manual is to hold the fob against the start button and then you should be good. This was a much more in-depth issue.

Double check what you put in your signature. On the 2014 year model, that truck combo was 37,500 GCVWR. I got the same setup with MaxTow and a 68 RFE transmission on a 2014 Laramie, and my sticker stated 30,000 lb GCVWR. Second Question, which GVW is your truck, the options were 10.5, 12, and 14K which changed the springs that were put in the truck. I scaled my new Trilogy by Dynamax, which is about the same weight as a DRV, and found that I have 3450 in pin weight, with just the dishes & household items loaded. No food or clothing on board. Third Question, what hitch are you getting for that camper. Personal recomendation from pulling my unit and the hitch people at Tom Johnsons Camping World, is to go to the 24K range. I put in the B&W companion for the Factory Prep setup with a 24 K head on it. No clunking and it is pulling SWEET. But all jokes aside, you are looking at a camper weight in the range of 16-18K depending on the options, the 2 DRV Mobile Suites that I was looking at all had a 21K PinBox on them, just like the Trilogy that I picked out. I hope you got everything fixed, and good luck on your new DRV.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinc2011 View Post
Double check what you put in your signature. On the 2014 year model, that truck combo was 37,500 GCVWR. I got the same setup with MaxTow and a 68 RFE transmission on a 2014 Laramie, and my sticker stated 30,000 lb GCVWR. Second Question, which GVW is your truck, the options were 10.5, 12, and 14K which changed the springs that were put in the truck. I scaled my new Trilogy by Dynamax, which is about the same weight as a DRV, and found that I have 3450 in pin weight, with just the dishes & household items loaded. No food or clothing on board. Third Question, what hitch are you getting for that camper. Personal recomendation from pulling my unit and the hitch people at Tom Johnsons Camping World, is to go to the 24K range. I put in the B&W companion for the Factory Prep setup with a 24 K head on it. No clunking and it is pulling SWEET. But all jokes aside, you are looking at a camper weight in the range of 16-18K depending on the options, the 2 DRV Mobile Suites that I was looking at all had a 21K PinBox on them, just like the Trilogy that I picked out. I hope you got everything fixed, and good luck on your new DRV.

With the lack of smiley or winky faces, I'm unable to tell where you are joking. Darn text causes us to lose so much emotion that would normally be passed on by facial expressions, body language, and tone, so I'll just respond to your questions as if they were all serious.

Based on the Ram website (http://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towi...ing_charts.pdf) I'm seeing a GCVWR of 37,800 for my setup. The payload and max towing in my signature are accurate to the Ram website for my VIN. I don't know what my true payload is yet with my truck loaded to reality as I haven't bothered pulling across the scales at this time.

GVW of 14,000 and I added air bags.

Looking at the Trilogy website, it seems that their units weigh a bit less than the particular DRV that we are getting. The DRV rep told me our 41RSSB4 will likely have a ship-weight of 17,500-18,500 pounds, and we have a gross of 21,000 hashtags, assuming I can get 5000 on the pin. We are full-time, and from what I'm being told, 5,000 on the pin shouldn't be an issue.

I too have a B&W Companion rated at .024MMLB (insert winky face) currently installed in the truck. It dropped in beautifully on our factory prep setup with only a couple kicks needed. A BakFlip F1 tonneau cover is on the way to protect the hitch from... whatever... when not pulling the trailer. Im looking forward to seeing how this unit pulls with the Mor-Ryde pinbox (not sure which weight rating) and Mor-Ryde independent suspension. Should be sweet.

So far the truck is running beautifully, we just need our (bigger) trailer to show up so we can really test it!

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 on order.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:31 PM   #32

I have 3450 lbs pin weight without the closet over the pin completely loaded with clothes, last trip that closet across the fromt was full, and I loaded the front baggage bins heavily as well. I have been unable to make my truck move down more than 3/4 inch when I hooked up the Trilogy. It too has a 21K Mor Ryde pinbox on it, and I went on the last trip with the water pump feeding the Ice Maker in the refrigerator on the way to the beach! With the 14k gvwr spring setup, I do not know how much you will need the Airbags.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:05 PM   #33

Jburg, I'm anxious to hear how that trailer behaves with the B & W hitch, IS Suspension, and MOR/Ryde rubber pinbox.

I am leaning toward that same truck, and suspension/hitch setup. I, too, would like to put a tonneau cover over the bed when not towing. The other hitch I'm considering is the Trailer Saver TS3. It is double the cost of the B & W, and I don't know how high it will sit (might interfere with the bed cover.)

With the Ram puck system, the TS3 needs to sit on a "picture frame" which adds several inches to the height of the hitch.

If anyone out there has the TS3 on the picture frame, I'd love to know if it still sits below the bed rail height.

Please let us know how your setup performs with that trailer!

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #34

Quote:
I have 3450 lbs pin weight without the closet over the pin completely loaded with clothes, last trip that closet across the fromt was full, and I loaded the front baggage bins heavily as well. I have been unable to make my truck move down more than 3/4 inch when I hooked up the Trilogy. It too has a 21K Mor Ryde pinbox on it, and I went on the last trip with the water pump feeding the Ice Maker in the refrigerator on the way to the beach! With the 14k gvwr spring setup, I do not know how much you will need the Airbags.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I would need it either, but I figured for $300 I would put them on there anyway and if I needed to I would just manually air up the bags. That's the big reason I didn't do the expensive kit.

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 on order.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayRanger View Post
Jburg, I'm anxious to hear how that trailer behaves with the B & W hitch, IS Suspension, and MOR/Ryde rubber pinbox.

I am leaning toward that same truck, and suspension/hitch setup. I, too, would like to put a tonneau cover over the bed when not towing. The other hitch I'm considering is the Trailer Saver TS3. It is double the cost of the B & W, and I don't know how high it will sit (might interfere with the bed cover.)

With the Ram puck system, the TS3 needs to sit on a "picture frame" which adds several inches to the height of the hitch.

If anyone out there has the TS3 on the picture frame, I'd love to know if it still sits below the bed rail height.

Please let us know how your setup performs with that trailer!

Roy

I was contemplating getting the factory airbags as the engineers removed a few leafs for the air assist. I was thinking this would make the ride much smoother, but wanted to experience it first hand before ordering the truck. After months of searching I found a dually with the factory bags, and luckily the dealer even had another truck in the same trim package without the bags. Neither myself or the salesman could tell any difference in unloaded ride quality, and with that being my primary concern, I moved on.

I looked at the trailer saver, and not only are they expensive but they are stinkin heavy! Those that have them sure seem to love them though.

I'll make certain to report back on how this setup tows.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:58 PM   #36

Thanks!

Having said all that, I sure love the look and design of the B&W Companion 24K hitch........

What's a girl to do?

I should probably try the B&W first, and upgrade if necessary. We'll only be carrying 19K, will have the Ram airbags back there too, and will have the MOR/Ryde rubber pin box and MOR/Ryde IS suspension for the benefit of the trailer.

Roy
Old 07-04-2015, 09:37 PM   #37

I've read somewhere on here that the factory Ram bags are a lot smoother when loaded up.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:25 PM   #38

I've also heard that the Ram OEM system is primarily for load-leveling as opposed to air suspension components like Kelderman builds, so we may not be able to expect them to "smooth out" the ride. Not sure, though. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Roy
Old 07-05-2015, 06:15 AM   #39

I have the B&w puck 24K hitch with a Roll-n-Lock cover on the bed. It allows me to cover up the hitch when not using it, then simply open the cover when I need to hook up. Gives me covered lockable storage in the back of the bed as well. I looked at the folding covers, but where do you put them when you are towing? Regards, Kevin
Old 07-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #40

Quote:
I have the B&w puck 24K hitch with a Roll-n-Lock cover on the bed. It allows me to cover up the hitch when not using it, then simply open the cover when I need to hook up. Gives me covered lockable storage in the back of the bed as well. I looked at the folding covers, but where do you put them when you are towing? Regards, Kevin

The BakFlip cover that I'm getting is supposed to be able to stay on the truck when towing. I have a weatherguard under-rail toolbox installed and I'm really hoping that I can leave it where it is with the cover. If not I'll just move it forward and drill more holes in my bed.

I'll post some pictures after installation

Old 07-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #41

Some of those nice tonneau covers roll up into a box right behind your cab, which infringes on some of the area up front where many people put an aux gas tank. For that reason, I am looking at the Bak Revolver X2 which is rigid when deployed, but rolls up and is secured behind and above the front of the bed when towing. It isn't quite as low profile, but looks like a good way to go without losing some bed storage space.

If you look at the Transfer Flow website, they even sell an aux fuel tank that has a cutout for the tonneau covers that roll up into a metal box.

Roy
Old 07-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #42

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a '14 equipped like yours. I have been on the Cummins forum for a few years and have never herd of this happening. Good thing you weren't getting in your truck when it happened. I like the keyless enter and go with push button start and I will trust it till it fails.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote