Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #1

Flashing (strobe?) brake lights

Good morning everyone,

I'll start this off with a little background story- I ride my bike to work most every day here in the beautiful state of Wyoming. I am fortunate to have wide shoulders on both sides of the road, so for life-saving reasons anytime that I'm forced to ride on the road (most of the ride but about two miles I take the dirt bike paths) I ride against traffic to allow me to see the driver that isn't paying attention. As a car approaches, I look at the driver to see what they're doing or if they notice me. You would not believe how many people are staring down at their phones. I was certainly blown away by it. I watched one driver almost lose it as they drifted out of their lane and then when they looked up, they overcorrected. SCARY!!! So with that, i think it is safe to say that many drivers are not paying attention while on the road, which brings me to the topic of the thread.

We plan on going full-time in the near future, probably January-April of 2016. We will only be moving every two or three months based on assignment duration, but this move does have me thinking-We are going to be in a vehicle that is traveling slower than traffic and braking much sooner than a normal car. With these people we share the road with not paying attention, it would certainly put a damper on things to get rear-ended. Besides all the normal bad stuff, our bikes will get crunched too!

I then had a thought that maybe a flashing light that came on with the brakes might help catch one's attention. Of course it is no guarantee, but it just might do something.

Thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 08:00 AM   #2

I could help, but it would, most likely need to meet some DOT regulations to be legal.

In my hometown the transit bus' have yellow de- accelerate lights, that flash when slowing. They are on both sides of the center brake light.

I Florida, school bus' have yellow strobes, on, all of the time.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:10 AM   #3
Commercial Member

There are modules available that will flash your brake lights for a second before the light comes on solid, just like many motorcycles. They are most effective with LED tail lights.

If you search the Internet I'm sure you can find them.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 06-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

RVs are much bigger than bikes, or motorcycles or scooters or even cars. Those small vehicles need all the help they can get to prevent being run over by careless drivers. But there's not much danger in a motorist not noticing this huge RV in front of them. I've been RVing for over 50 years, using ordinary tail lights, and have never been rear-ended.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #5

Over the years I've been surprised to find that 18-wheelers seem to be slightly larger than all of things you mentioned, including RV's. Isn't the Mansfield Bar a required device on all semi-trailers since 1998 due to cars running into the back of these large, hard to be missed big-rigs?

I'm simply thinking a flashing light might attract more attention than a constant light, and hopefully get an individual to look up from twitface or instabook long enough to hit the brakes, and not my home. Everyone likes to slow down and look at flashy lights...
Old 06-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #6

Please don't ride your bike against traffic. There have been multiple studies on bicycle safety and the ALL come to the same conclusion. Riding your bike against traffic is dangerous.
Some of it has to do with approach speed. When riding your bike at 12 MPH the approach speed differential is 24 MPH. In a 40 MPH zone riding against traffic gives you a 52 MPH approach speed. Riding with traffic gives a 28 MPH approach speed. This is a significant difference in the reaction time for both you and the car.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #7

Distracted, drivers are the new and more numerous , drunks on the road.

Unfortunately until laws and enforcement catch up ; they're trying here in Canada; we'll be forced to put up with, and report them.
Problem is so bad in areas that a $1,000 fine is in the works, in one province, others considering progressive licence prohibition , for those not using , hands free devices.

So for those members heading through Canada to Alaska this summer, let your co-pilot handle the calls and texts.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #8

Do you need this for the rear of your TV or the entire rig? Here in Wisconsin rural mail carriers and private snow plow operators use amber strobe, or flashing LED, lights that stick with a magnet to the roof of their vehicles. The mail carriers make frequent stops and the snow plows back out into traffic when plowing snow.
bluie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Please don't ride your bike against traffic. There have been multiple studies on bicycle safety and the ALL come to the same conclusion. Riding your bike against traffic is dangerous.
Some of it has to do with approach speed. When riding your bike at 12 MPH the approach speed differential is 24 MPH. In a 40 MPH zone riding against traffic gives you a 52 MPH approach speed. Riding with traffic gives a 28 MPH approach speed. This is a significant difference in the reaction time for both you and the car.

Thanks for the heads up. One more reason to find even more ways to stay off the road entirely.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluie5 View Post
Do you need this for the rear of your TV or the entire rig? Here in Wisconsin rural mail carriers and private snow plow operators use amber strobe, or flashing LED, lights that stick with a magnet to the roof of their vehicles. The mail carriers make frequent stops and the snow plows back out into traffic when plowing snow.

I'm thinking of just trying to find something for the back of the rig or some device that can be wired into a set of the brake lights.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:26 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jburg, as mentioned above, these devices exist for motorcycles.. search.. you'll find one.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:38 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm with the OP...want those modulated brake lights like on all the emergency vehicles I see near our home.

It REALLY catches the eye when they hit the pedel and brake lights micro-flash several times before going solid.

I have upgraded the brake lights on the RV and tow dolly to LED's. I wanted to use the modulated ones, but the suppliers wanted too much for the units with the built-in modulator. And, I didn't want an all in one that would have to be tossed if an LED failed in the array.

The RV has separate brake and turn elements, so should be easy to modulate, but the dolly is like most trailers and the turn and brake are on element...not so simple.

Anyone have a link for a place to purchase these standalone modulators?
One must be able to modulate 4 brake light elements (2 on each side) on the RV. The other (like for the OPs towable) needs to somehow split the turn and brake(?)

Thanks
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Here is many choices http://www.ebay.com/bhp/brake-light-modulator

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 06-24-2015, 04:58 PM   #14

Thanks!!

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 on order.

Tags
brake, brake lights, light, lights