Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2016, 07:31 PM   #1

Flat towing 2016/15 two wheel drive GMC cannon

Looking for feedback on the need to disconnect the negative battery cable if a battery charge line is connected. The local GM dealer stated that the requirement to disconnect the negative cable he thought was because they have had experience with the transmission on four wheel drives going from neutral back to 4 wheel drive if the battery was connected. I have installed a drive shaft disconnect so I can tow a 2 wheel drive. the question I can't find a n answer for, does the battery need to be disconnected because of the electric power steering assist.
sumterjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 09:58 PM   #2

check on line with remco the towing experts and punch in your make and model,just checked on yours and you may have transmition issues. great site they have been bang on for me all the time 2016 thor Tuscany xte 36mq with Pontiac g5 toad
tombottcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:01 AM   #3

Flat towing GMC Cannon 2 WD

Per your suggestion, I went to the REMCO site and they indicated that the 4 WD must have the Negative wire disconnected. They did not state that a 2 WD with a lube pump installed required the negative wire to be disconnected. So I think I will be OK since I have installed a drive shaft disconnect, I'm hopping this is the case. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I have to disagree and think you will need to do the disconnect, but I don't have any specific knowledge of the Canyon. My GMC Acadia, though, needs to have electric power removed because of the way the vehicle electronics work. Mine is a FWD and it still requires 12v off (a major 50A fuse removed, in my case). That disables the Body Control Computer, which in turn manages several other electronic systems. Some possible things that might be affected include traction control assist (anti-skid), ABS, power steering (you mentioned that already), and just plain old battery drain. My Acadia will flatten its battery in about 3 hours of towing if the power is not disconnected.

Good luck, and check often if you decide to leave the 12v system "hot".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:31 PM   #5

Did you check the FMCA Towing guide? Canyon 2wd likely has the electric steering system like the 4wd version which is why the battery needs to be disconnected.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:38 AM   #6

My 2015 Canyon 4X4 owners manual says to disconnect the negative battery cable. The reason I have been told is due to the electronic steering.

If your 2 wheel drive has electronic steering I suggest you look into disconnecting your negative cable as well. I have a switch installed so I don't have to physically remove the cable each time.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies and comments. I guess it's better safe than sorry, so have decided to install a disconnect on the negative battery post.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumterjim View Post
Looking for feedback on the need to disconnect the negative battery cable if a battery charge line is connected. The local GM dealer stated that the requirement to disconnect the negative cable he thought was because they have had experience with the transmission on four wheel drives going from neutral back to 4 wheel drive if the battery was connected. I have installed a drive shaft disconnect so I can tow a 2 wheel drive. the question I can't find a n answer for, does the battery need to be disconnected because of the electric power steering assist.
"he thought"

Sumterjim,
First off, I don't know WHO you talked with at a dealer but, if it was anyone but a tech, the percentage of getting a correct answer/reason etc. for your inquiry is seriously DOWN. "He thought", which I assume means, HE DIDN'T KNOW the real reason. This subject of disconnecting the negative battery cable in the newer GM trucks, even in the full sized intended for towing, has been discussed just a few times on here and other RV forums.

As of yet, as many of the posts concerning this very subject that I've read, I've seen no, ZERO, authentic or, verbatim, or per-GM tech manual, reason(s) for disconnecting the cable. The most used reason (that most guess at) is the electronic power steering. I don't have one or, I'd have found out what the reason is. Our toad, an '11 GMC Sierra 4x4 Extended Cab, needs nothing to be disconnected when towing it.

As for towing a two wheel drive 2015 Canyon, REMCO or, Family Motor Coach or, Motor Home Towing Guide, DID NOT MAKE THE TRUCK, GM did. So, If I were you, I'd go straight to the "horses mouth" so to speak, to find out all the pertinent information regarding towing it. I'm also going to assume that, if it's a 2015 or newer one you'll be towing, that there will be some form of warranty with this too.

If you go by GMs info and specs for alterations etc. for towing, (since your not intending on purchasing an authorized to flat tow- 4WD model) and you have a problem, at least you'll have GM to fall back on due to the fact that, you consulted THEM for answers. If you have a problem and any damage is done and you consulted REMCO for towing, good luck on having GM cover any damages under warranty.

Remco may be in business to assist owners of non-flat towable toads and, I guess that's good for those that don't or, won't purchase an authorized flat towable toad. I simply prefer to purchase one that needs no modifications, no changes, nothing, right from the git-go, to flat tow it. It's a preference thing. Good luck on your Canyon.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:42 PM   #9

Hi Scott, as always great posts from you and I always enjoy them. I have not talked to a GM engineer and dealership service personnel cannot give me a definitive answer on the reason for disconnecting the negative battery cable.

However, my owners manual gives you step by step instructions in preparing the Canyon to be towed including disconnecting the negative battery cable. If course, it also says only 4 wheel drive trucks with a transfer case that can be shifted into neutral can be towed 4 wheels down.

Tom

Tags
tow, towing