Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2005, 11:04 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not a real difficult job if you know what you're doing. Need to change the ring and pinion gears. Gets a little more difficult, and more costly, if you have 4WD.

BTW - I have a Fleetwodd/Wilderness 5er for about 5 years. he trailer was very good to me. Only problem I ever had was that the water pump was mounted too high.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2005, 11:43 PM   #16

Hey John. I see in your signature the banner for the 2005 irv2 rally. When is or when did it take place?

Old 08-02-2005, 02:15 PM   #17

I got my Terry because it was the only trailer light enough for my old 1/2 ton pickup to tow, that had an acceptable floor plan. Aside from the roof not being sealed from the factory (they replaced the entire roof for $0 and about 4 months in the shop) and a flakey water pump, I have no complaints. I recognize that it has 'flimsy' elements, but I've been very happy with it. Wish I didn't have to give it up, but the new DP needs its parking space and its value (thanks to the great deal I hammered out when buying it, I only lost about $1000 over the 4 years I had it).
Old 08-11-2005, 06:15 PM   #18

Our 3/4 ton van with the 6.0L engine and 4.10 axle does a good job in OD on the highway with our Prowler 320 DBHS, but when the hills get big and steep, I do wish that GM still had the 8.1L in the vans.

This is our second great Fleetwood trailer, our first was a Terry.

Mike.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:05 AM   #19

Sweet looking rig Mike. Do you think you've ever reached GVWR on your TT? If I recall (correct me if I'm wrong) that floor plan is around 9600 lbs. I wondered if anyone really reaches that heavy of a weight. I looked long and hard at that layout, but I think I may go with the 300FQS. I would loose the quad bunks but the Dinnette and the couch are long anough for 6 footers if need be.

Del Monte
Old 08-12-2005, 06:07 AM   #20

Hi,

We have the 6.0 with the 4:10 rear in our Suburban. I don't have any complaints with it. But we are looking to upgrade our trailer next year and are closely watching GVW. Since it's my primary vehicle to lug kids in-I chose the smaller engine because I do a lot of running to field hockey games, Girl Scouts, etc. The 8.0 for me would have been overkill. But now, I wish I had ordered it for the extra pulling power-I had to order my suburban because there wasn't any 3/4 ton 4x4's with what I wanted out there when I bought it in 2001. Since I live and camp near the area you live in-I'll tell you that the only place the truck doesn't maintain 65mph because of the weight we tow is the hill going east on I-84 by Port Jervis. I've towed with it find everywhere else in and around NY/PA.

We did a lot of looking for trailers-doing it again for the same set up as you are looking into. Add the slide this go around too. I always test doors-why? Because kids are rough on cabinet doors and I hate to see them bow when pulled on . Once too hard and somethings bound to let loose. I've so far looked at Jayco Flights-too flimsy, Keystone Sprinters-sturdy, Fleetwood-Terry-slightly flimsy, Wildwoods-sturdy. We are going to the Rockland show next month to see what's there and check on brands. The Harrisburg RV show is coming up, so I'd suggest going to that to see campers too.

Nell

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:16 PM   #21

I agree with Nell you regarding quality of the RV. I want to spend my hard earned cash on a good unit but not through the nose for it. I have about 20 brands of RV's to pick from in my area, but floor plans make the choice tough. Not all have the layout you need. Some plans IMO are just plain stupid. They would have most of what your looking for then have an option that just doesn't belong. The Harrisburg Show is on my list of "to do" the year. Although I hope most who are ready this know that the show will be in Hershey this year. From what I'm told the BOD at Harrisburg raised the rental fees nearly 50% for this year, and so the Show planners told them no way and moved it to Hershey. I also agree that the 8.1 would be overkill more so on mileage. But in my case, my place of employment is only 6 miles from home, so fuel consumption would eat away at my billfold. So, dealing with the thought of poor mileage is far and away outweighed by the knowlege that I have enough HP for towing when the time comes with the 8.1. I reall hope I can locate a used Yukon XL when the time comes. I dreed the thought of special ordering one to my liking.

Del Monte
Old 08-16-2005, 07:50 AM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by A.C.:
Sweet looking rig Mike. Do you think you've ever reached GVWR on your TT? If I recall (correct me if I'm wrong) that floor plan is around 9600 lbs. I wondered if anyone really reaches that heavy of a weight. I looked long and hard at that layout, but I think I may go with the 300FQS. I would loose the quad bunks but the Dinnette and the couch are long anough for 6 footers if need be.

AC </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks AC.
No we have not yet reached the trailer's 9600 pound GVWR yet. I have weighed 3 or 4 times and the most to date was 8800 - 8900. For longer trips, we travel a little lighter 8200 - 8400#.

Mike.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:51 PM   #23

A little update regarding my choice of TV. After a short trip to a local GMC dealer to "check out" a 2500 Duramax extended cab PU, I have come to the conclusion that the diesel fanactics have won the toss. I know.... my first pick was another Yukon XL, but because of some friendly advice from co-workers and a convincing salesman, the diesel is built to tow. Great! There goes my well laid plan shot to h*ll. OK. So a diesel it is. But the extended cab won't do. I sat in the back seat for size, and my 6'2" frame fit alright, but I wouldn't be comfortable for very long. Luckly for me they had a crew cab next to it. Nice! That fit just right. So when will I get one? As soon as this other one is paid for. One question though. Does the Duramax perform well right out of the box? Or will I have to tweak it a bit?

Del Monte