Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2005, 06:38 PM   #1

After two years of towing the C'van, we are looking for something longer. We walked through a new '05 Terry TT with quad bunks and a separate master bed (perfect), with everything in between. At 33'10" OAL, and GVWR tipping the scales at 9500 lbs., I knew a 3/4 ton TV would have to be in the mix as well. My main choice for TV is a GMC Yukon XL. Now, big questions here. Should I opt. for the 6.0 liter with the 4.10 rearrend or go for the 8.1 liter with the same rear? Second, what are the good and bad points of the Terry TT? If the Terry's truely suck. What line of TT's in the 30' range would you suggest?
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2005, 06:38 PM   #2

After two years of towing the C'van, we are looking for something longer. We walked through a new '05 Terry TT with quad bunks and a separate master bed (perfect), with everything in between. At 33'10" OAL, and GVWR tipping the scales at 9500 lbs., I knew a 3/4 ton TV would have to be in the mix as well. My main choice for TV is a GMC Yukon XL. Now, big questions here. Should I opt. for the 6.0 liter with the 4.10 rearrend or go for the 8.1 liter with the same rear? Second, what are the good and bad points of the Terry TT? If the Terry's truely suck. What line of TT's in the 30' range would you suggest?
Old 07-21-2005, 06:54 PM   #3

I say go with the 8.1, other product lines to consider: Sunnybrook comes to mind.

I have no complaints on my fleetwood,
Disney Campers - Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:13 PM   #4

Thanks for the heads up for Sunnybrook Scott. I hadn't thought of that. I personally have no problem with Fleetwood. I really like the look of the Terry lineup myself. I even looked long and hard at the Prowler line. It's just the fact when the same Prowler dealer explained to me about the numbers complaints that she has heard about Terry's TT. I began to wonder if she really knew what she was talking about. I mean, according to Fleetwoods web site, both brands are built by the same company. Scott is your TV a daily driver, or does it sit till it's called upon? Gas prices being the biggest factor in engine size now-a-days, is it better to go with more h.p. or more torque when it comes to towing? Looking at GMC's web site I notice the 6.0 has about 20 more horses the the 8.1. Versus the 60 or more foot pounds of torque the 8.1 has.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:07 AM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
A.C.:

You live in Pennsylvania. Get the 8.1. You won't be happy with the 6.0 on the first big hill you encounter. My Jayco weighs 8,500 GVWR and I pull it with a PowerStroke. I wouldn't settle for anything less. I'd really recommend the Duramax but since they don't offer them in a Yukon, go for the "big block".
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:29 AM   #6

the truck was my daily driver up until 2 months ago, I bought an old caddy deville for around town and to just lessen the mileage on the truck. I struggled with the 6.0 vs the 8.1, you can find the 6.0 all day everyday on the dealer lots but the 8.1 one is a little harder to find, I really love my truck and glad I got the bigger engine, I hope to upgrade the trailer in the next few years to something bigger,
Disney Campers - Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:53 AM   #7

We bought an 03 Pioneer 27' bunk house 2 1/2 yrs ago. not having a lot of experience with travel trailers I would have to say it was typical based on what I hear from this forum and friends that have RV's.
A couple of poor fit and finsh items inside and some sloppy wiring are all that I have had to contend with.
I ended up putting in backup lights and side turn signals on the trailer and while I was under it did some clean up on the wiring by fastening and looming some of the potential problems I saw.
The back bumper was made of thin square tube and poorly welded so I bought a sturdy 3/16 piece of 4" tubing and welded brackets to it, bolted it and then welded it to the frame (now I dont have to worry about my spare or the bikes back there)
all in all I would say we got our moneys worth, we were able to get a larger trailer than we thought we had money for without skimping on the quality of the systems (hvac, cooking, etc)

Scott
Old 07-22-2005, 02:43 PM   #8

I have owned two Fleetwood products. One was a piece of junk and the other was o.k.
Fleetwood typically makes an number of different units. Everything from the "entry" level to upscale units.
The thing I have discovered about Fleetwood is the spotty quality control. The biggest difference in Fleetwood products is the build location. Typically the West coast units are of lesser quality than the units built elsewhere.
Then that is just my personal experience and opinion.
Chet
Old 07-22-2005, 05:46 PM   #9

In a way I'd have to agree with you Chet when it come to Q.C. issues. Most of my area dealers seem to stock more of the TT's that are manufactured closer to home. When I mention the Terry brand name they just kinda roll up their noses at them. Then they remind me of the "better" quality of the "home grown" units. Does anyone here know about the Hornet or the Cougar brands? They look nice units.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:39 AM   #10

most dealers will turn up there noses when you mention a brand they don't carry, they want you to buy something off their lot, don't they? Anyway I almost bought a cougar, did lots of research and was telling everyone that was my next rig, then I saw the Wildcat. Quality was very comparible, options were comparible, I got my Wildcat for 10K less than the cougar so that's why I bought it but I don't think you can go wrong with the Cougar. John
2003 Dodge Crew Cab, 4X4, Ca. Cummins, Limited slip, 3.73, 48re, T-Rex nerf bars, Rhino Liner, B&W Turnover Ball, B&W Companion, Prodigy. 2005 Wildcat 29BHBP, 1987 HR Aluma-Lite XL 35', 1500W inverter, 3 solar panels, 3 furnaces, 4 Golf Cart Batteri
robertsonthego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 11:27 AM   #11

Our Terry is over 7 years old, still looks/pulls/performs like new, besides the graphic strips on the exterior that are peeling. No complaints what-so-ever. I pull it with the 6.0/4:10 and have been very pleased, but if you will be in mountains more than not, I'd get 8.1 if not a diesel.

Steve and Lori
ElephantNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 07:11 PM   #12

Do GM dealers normally stock Suburban types with 8.1L and 4.10 rearends? Or is that mostly special order? If I did find a good used unit on a lot how I find out what gearset was in the rear without asking a salesman?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:06 AM   #13

AC,

If you find one, grab the VIN then speak to the Service Manager. He can look up the VIN to get to what was built on the vehicle. One caution, previous owner mods won't be reflected.

So if the previous owner did a change out in the rear end.....
Old 07-25-2005, 09:10 PM   #14

Speaking of changing out rearends. How difficult or expensive of a job would that be? Would it simply mean switching out a few parts in the rear or is it more involved than that? Not that I would be doing it myself, but a local GM dealer friend might.