Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2006, 11:28 AM   #15

Check and make sure Ford will not void your warranty for adding an exhaust brake. Although Ford has most of the bugs out of the 6.0,(now that it is in it's last year of production) they still look for ANY reason to void the engine warranty because that engine has cost them millions in warranty work and truck buybacks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2006, 07:43 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
me to
i saw on us gears site that an electronic module is needed < which is not inlcuded and must be purchased from another vendor????
any clue as to what that is

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:27 AM   #17

The other electronic module they refer to would be the torque converter lockup module. This will keep the TC locked up down to 30mph.
Without this the exhaust brake has minimal value.

Mustang convertable toad
Matt Cassels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:10 AM   #18

IIRC Ford does not recommend an exhaust brake for the 6.0 and I would be very surprised if they would honor any engine warranty in that case. Check your diesel supplement that came with the truck and ask your dealer....
Just curious why you feel you need one with the torqshift Tow/Haul feature? I have towed about 45,000 kms with my 2004 (about 18,000lbs on the road) and have been down some pretty steep runs and very seldom even thought about using the trailer brakes . I do find that when I try to "outsmart" the TH mode to get into OD at 55mph , it starts relearnig and downshifts on the downhill are slower until the transmission relearns the strategy. I did some switch-backs at more than 10% last summer and it even dropped into 1st gear like it used to before the newer computer flash from Mother Ford.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:31 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Groveite how does that work? I know it downshifts but a diesel doesnt have much backpressure for braking. I still have to use brakes with my auto.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:02 AM   #20

It apparently (I'm no engineer!!) closes the variable vanes on the turbo to create the back pressure resulting in quite a bit of braking. To give an example , 2 years ago I was heading south and hit (as usual) heavy stop'n'go for about 20 minutes on I94 in Detroit . Had the CB on and a guy behind me told me my trailer brake lights were not working. I hit the brakes and he suggested that they had started to work again. In reality I was keeping a buffer space btwn me and the next vehicle and letting the T/H on the tranny do the slow downs.
That was with the original (more aggressive programing) that I liked but many didn't so.....
I am NOT a fan of autos and much prefer a stick however this 5 (actually 6 ) ratio seems to be great....we'll see when it has 200,000 on it!
My only other auto that I trusted was the Chrysler 727 non overdrive, non lockup that I had in the 1 ton vans. One went 1,100,000 kms (no typo) without any problems...the other spat out an output bearing (last on in the tail stock) at about 300,000kms and then went another 300,000 and as far as I know is stil in use. HUGE coolers and 50,000 km fluid changes always.
Ian
Old 04-09-2006, 07:00 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Groveite. That sounds like the best explanation I have heard. I asked a sales manager in Crestview Fl and he asked the service manager who thought the eng changed timing. It seemed to me neither knew for sure.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:05 PM   #22

I instaled the jake My self works like a champ went to Yuma Az.and back no sweat.13,654Ks not a flat or a glinch some high roads and some low 5 days out 10 days and 2 tornados one killing people 2 miles from us comming home. But will do it all again next year.We were lucky.But life is what You make it..Bushman
Old 04-12-2006, 06:14 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
groveite
Thanks for teh real world answer
My t/h does work really well, but my last trip downthe mountain, not sure of the grade but its a 600 foot drop in 1.8 miles, the tranny dropped into 4th and was turning close to 4k held the speed at 65 sih i tapped the brakes a few times to bring her down to 55-60 then it down shifted agin to 3rd and was screaming rpm wise,, this is after the latest reflash, the t/h now is very agressive compared to the pre-reflash.
thanks for the honest answers
Robert
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:56 AM   #24

I've also read the new 6.7 Cummins will use a similar system, using the varible turbo as "Groveite" explained.

Just for information, the jake on my truck in 5th gear (6 speed manual) will hold a 6% grade
at 55mph never having to touch the break with no
increase in RPM's above that at 55 mph. My combined weight is right at 20,000 lbs.

Dave
Old 04-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Western Diesel brake on my 2000 F350. I used it a lot. It works off the EBV system to warm up the truck. It worked for me and my 6 ton 5th wheel. I now have 113,000 miles on the truck and still running OEM brakes!
Chet
Old 12-10-2006, 08:21 PM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CyberVet65:
I have a Western Diesel brake on my 2000 F350. I used it a lot. It works off the EBV system to warm up the truck. It worked for me and my 6 ton 5th wheel. I now have 113,000 miles on the truck and still running OEM brakes!
Chet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Western Diesel - Diesel Stop

My truck is now out of warranty and I want to install one but I can not find a good link to the company. Tried Diesel Service as I have purchased items from them in the past.

Paul
Old 12-11-2006, 03:53 AM   #27
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Paul,

That brake was developed by Mark Craig while he was with Western Diesel. After he left them I think they went under or was dissolved.

He went to Diesel Performance Products back in the summer of '03, track him down and he'll likely have the scoop on who markets that brake now.