Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2005, 11:32 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
What brand are you using and why?

I'm looking to out on in my `06 Ford F-350 6.0l PSD with the (44b) 5-speed Torque Shift Automatic Tranny.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2005, 11:32 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
What brand are you using and why?

I'm looking to out on in my `06 Ford F-350 6.0l PSD with the (44b) 5-speed Torque Shift Automatic Tranny.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:57 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
John,

I had a US Gear "Super Duty" D-Celerator exhaust brake on the '02 Ford I just sold. Also, I had one on the '99 Ford F350 I had prior to it.

The brake performance on both vehicles was satisfactory, the only problem I had was the shaft bushings seized up last year and I had to tear into it to repair it. According to US Gear, I was supposed to have been lubricating the bushings yearly with an anti-seize and I wasn't doing it.

The negatives with the US Gear is that an 8" piece has to be cut out of the exhaust pipe for installation and the loud metallic clacking sound each time the brake opens and closes.

On the positive side, they work well and they are installed downstream from the turbo which gives some space to dissipate any excessive heat. It has a spring loaded waste gate bypass valve which will allow back pressure to bleed off at a predetermined amount.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:29 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Although likely not applicable to your Ford, this may help some Dodge drivers. We use the Jacobs turbo-mount exhaust brake. This brake is Cummins-approved and available from either Cummins or Dodge as a Mopar accessory. We ordered our truck and had the Jacobs e-brake installed by the Dodge dealer as part of the deal before we took delivery - therefore, it was covered by the Dodge truck warranty. We've never had any problems whatsoever with it.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:02 PM   #5

I also own a Dodge. I have a Pac Brake PRXB. I checked their website and it says they have brakes for the 7.3l Fords, but not the 6.0.

http://www.pacbrake.com/products.php...%2FFord_Diesel

On the whole, I am VERY happy with the Pac.

Juan

2004 Dodge 3500 4x4 DRW HO/6 SPD B&W+Companion, Prodigy, Line-X, Pac Brake
JRMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 04:49 PM   #6

Like Rusty, using a Jake on the turbo, been there for 5 years, no problems yet. I must clean the air box(IAT)sensor every 10,000 miles to keep it clean as the exhaust brake will make it dirty. Once dirty it could provide the ECM wrong info on air temp and pressure from the turbo.

Don't know if back pressure would harm the varible pitch turbo operation on your ford.

Dave
Old 11-27-2005, 07:21 PM   #7

I have a PacBrake.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:11 AM   #8
CD

I have a BD. I had a US Gear on the first 01 ( early model). I liked the way the US gear worked but as stated above it would stick closed. (lots of black smoke) I had an appointment with CW to get it replaced when truck was totaled so that never happened. I really like the BD but it doesn't work with the cruise control. I don't like using cruise when towing anyway so it's not an issue for me. BD has probably changed that by now. If they have changed it to work like the Jake, I like mine better. I have a friend that has a Jake and it turns it off below 30 mph. Mine stays on down to an idle. He loves the Jake by the way. BD doesn't have a hole in it to relieve pressure so is more effective at low rpms. I use it all the time not just when towing. At 45K the Dodge dealer said I still had 60% brake lining yet.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:30 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CD:
I have a friend that has a Jake and it turns it off below 30 mph. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What year truck? Mine stays on at idle (I use it to warm up the truck) and functions at any speed - its control is tied to the ECM/PCM system.

Rusty
Old 11-30-2005, 05:06 AM   #10
CD

Rusty
He has a 2000 Dodge/6sp. but didn't get until about 2yrs ago. Maybe they have changed it before or after you got yours. It is hooked into the computor. When he starts engine it comes on at idle until engine is warm but on the road it drops out below 30mph. It also works W/cruise.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:17 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Something sounds amiss. I've never heard of one dropping out at 30 MPH. Almost sounds like he's picking up a torque converter unlock signal or something.

Rusty
Old 11-30-2005, 03:10 PM   #12

He may have a second market system installed in his automatic transmission. I have a DTT Smart Box which when the tranny is in third will not allow the tranny to shift to OD until the speed rises to 57 mph. When slowing using the exhaust brake the Smart Box down shifts to 3rd at 55 mph and keeps the torque converter locked until 28 mph. At that point it unloads the torgue converter and the engine braking essentually stops. If I am in 2nd it will keep the tranny locked up in 2nd down to 18 mph.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 04:15 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
According to Cliff's post, the truck is a 6 speed.

Rusty
Old 03-19-2006, 08:40 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:
Although likely not applicable to your Ford, this may help some Dodge drivers. We use the Jacobs turbo-mount exhaust brake. This brake is Cummins-approved and available from either Cummins or Dodge as a Mopar accessory. We ordered our truck and had the Jacobs e-brake installed by the Dodge dealer as part of the deal before we took delivery - therefore, it was covered by the Dodge truck warranty. We've never had any problems whatsoever with it.

Rusty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here: our Jacobs was installed by the dealer before we took delivery, it was covered by the "new truck" warranty and, IIRC, the extended warranty we got, as well.

One beautiful aspect about the Jacobs: it requires no maintenance whatsoever.
RAM³ is offline   Reply With Quote