Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #29

Towing 197,000 with stock Dodge auto tranny seems to work for me..... combined weight of 17,500.....

bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2018, 08:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I watched the Lolo honeymoon videos...again as I have seen the video years ago. Probably the 1st vlog that I watched.

Anyway the owner (Sean) says a few things about his truck. He says it is kinda fun to drive and has plenty of power. That is about the way I would describe my experience of driving the old 2012 6.7 Ford diesel. Kinda fun.

Mobjack is looking for a less expensive truck than 2011, that is the 1st year for the gas powered 6.2 litre truck.

What Mobjack is doing makes sense to me. He is not brand specific and just wants a pretty good truck. If he reads the Internet he will get fake news. This forum is part of the internet. Forums by their nature are just opinions with just enough fact thrown in to keep me interested in reading the posts.

Mobjack - I have been to Fredericksburg Va. alot of times. They have a ton of trucks there. Actually there is a used truck dealer in King George Va. with a dozen or so trucks. Trouble is it takes time...ugh.

Thanks! In fact I have been to Fredericksburg, warrenton and Stafford he last 2 weekends. Here are a lot for sale but many are rusty from road salt.

I must say I am warming up to the idea of an older diesel

Old 07-10-2018, 06:49 AM   #31

No timing chain on a B series Cummins.
bov67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:41 PM   #32

I have had no problems with my 2007 6.0 F350. I have seen some people have issues but I have seen more happy owners.
bookem15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:08 AM   #33

Mid Atlantic Campers
I laugh everytime I read these forums. I have an 03 6.0 owned since new. It has been as dependable as my 1953 John Deere tractor. It has pulled heavy everytime it was started. It has sat for months and hit the key and fires right up. It has never been in a shop never been modified and it is all stock. Regular maintenance and drive it. People have problems when they " tinker" with them. I have ran a tuner on mine since new, not for performance but to monitor the engine. Retired now and travel across the country. On our sixth coast to coast trip loaded up 20,000 lbs combined weight. Runs like a dream pulls like a beast. I would not even consider a new model. I would drop another engine in the truck first. I know many people who are over 400,000 miles on their stock 6.0. So final thoughts. 15 years old this old Ford owes me nothing and has been a pleasure owning it.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180710_155417681_HDR.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	210479
Old 07-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #34

Hi Mobjack22

I have a 2006 with 11400 miles. I I purchased it with 11200, I did all the updates, egr delete and installed a remote oil cooler and oil filter. No head work. It's been running great. My trailer is about 10k.
Good luck.
idahofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog2you View Post
I laugh everytime I read these forums. I have an 03 6.0 owned since new. It has been as dependable as my 1953 John Deere tractor. It has pulled heavy everytime it was started. It has sat for months and hit the key and fires right up. It has never been in a shop never been modified and it is all stock. Regular maintenance and drive it. People have problems when they " tinker" with them. I have ran a tuner on mine since new, not for performance but to monitor the engine. Retired now and travel across the country. On our sixth coast to coast trip loaded up 20,000 lbs combined weight. Runs like a dream pulls like a beast. I would not even consider a new model. I would drop another engine in the truck first. I know many people who are over 400,000 miles on their stock 6.0. So final thoughts. 15 years old this old Ford owes me nothing and has been a pleasure owning it.Attachment 210479

There is always one unicorn in a group of donkeys.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
There is always one unicorn in a group of donkeys.

We know that's right, the proof is in this very thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Towing 197,000 with stock Dodge auto tranny seems to work for me..... combined weight of 17,500.....
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #37

What weight requires a diesel or what weight is too much for a gasoline engine. The OP has a trailer that has a GVWR of 10,000lbs.

It is bad being right in the middle imho.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:02 PM   #38

Forest River Owners Club
I bought an 04 6.0L used. All stock. It was blowing coolant out the reservoir so I took it in to the diesel shop. Blown head gasket, faulty EGR, 2 cylinders chewed up the valves, etc. A new used engine and $8k later I found out there was a leak in the oil pan. Only way to repair it was to remove the engine because of the cross member underneath the pan. I traded it in on a Toyota Tundra and never regretted it.

You can buy the after market oil cooler and EGR and this bullet proof the engine but almost every expert (read diesel mechanics, not owners) I have read says to buy a 2012 or newer as the 6.7L is far more reliable in the Ford category. There are good 6.0s out there (my neighbor owns one and he's had no problems with it) but it's a hell of an expensive gamble that I certainly would not take again. If you are set on the 6.0L then look for an owner with maintenance history and pay to have a diesel certified mechanic do a prepurchase inspection on it. And if you smell coolant, run away.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:30 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanion2 View Post
I bought an 04 6.0L used. All stock. It was blowing coolant out the reservoir so I took it in to the diesel shop. Blown head gasket, faulty EGR, 2 cylinders chewed up the valves, etc. A new used engine and $8k later I found out there was a leak in the oil pan. Only way to repair it was to remove the engine because of the cross member underneath the pan. I traded it in on a Toyota Tundra and never regretted it.

You can buy the after market oil cooler and EGR and this bullet proof the engine but almost every expert (read diesel mechanics, not owners) I have read says to buy a 2012 or newer as the 6.7L is far more reliable in the Ford category. There are good 6.0s out there (my neighbor owns one and he's had no problems with it) but it's a hell of an expensive gamble that I certainly would not take again. If you are set on the 6.0L then look for an owner with maintenance history and pay to have a diesel certified mechanic do a prepurchase inspection on it. And if you smell coolant, run away.
I traded my '06 F-350 for a Tundra as well.......but we're fake news because the 6.0L has never ever had one documented issue

Maybe there's a few rare cases of failures, but the failures always seem to be the same issues. This doesn't mean that every 6.0L is bad, but just because yours has never had an issue in 400k miles also doesn't necessarily mean that they are all perfect and everyone else is a liar either.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:01 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog2you View Post
I laugh everytime I read these forums. I have an 03 6.0 owned since new. It has been as dependable as my 1953 John Deere tractor. It has pulled heavy everytime it was started. It has sat for months and hit the key and fires right up. It has never been in a shop never been modified and it is all stock. Regular maintenance and drive it. People have problems when they " tinker" with them. I have ran a tuner on mine since new, not for performance but to monitor the engine. Retired now and travel across the country. On our sixth coast to coast trip loaded up 20,000 lbs combined weight. Runs like a dream pulls like a beast. I would not even consider a new model. I would drop another engine in the truck first. I know many people who are over 400,000 miles on their stock 6.0. So final thoughts. 15 years old this old Ford owes me nothing and has been a pleasure owning it.Attachment 210479
Thank you. 6.0 owners who experience no problems....(other than what happens to other trucks....ask my brother who jumped off the Ford ship to Dodge, then jumped that ship to GM then back to Dodge) don't post on forums. They drive their 6.0s, doing regular maintenance, don't install tunes, to boost already questionable HP tuned by Ford to compete in the HP race, and generally enjoy their 6.0.

My mechanic was weaned on the 6.0 and says it's one of the better engines out there. Of course the youngest of the 6.0s is 11 years old now. And YES, there were some major headaches early on....casting sand clogging oil coolers, which did a domino effect on other systems.....techs having no clue about this new high tech diesel, diesel fuel in the US being dirty and who knows what cetane rating it is....just go in and ask the manager of your favorite fueling stop. He will have no clue. New owners using after market filters and not changing them at correct intervals. I attended a diesel seminar by Navistar and the rep said right off the bat, "The 6.0 ain't your grandpa's diesel." 7.3 owner's were in for a shock.

But the 6.0s out there now have well over 100,000 miles minimum. I will admit I do get aggravated with mine, it's like having another wife...they're each jealous of the other. But this baby will out pull, out run the last 3 7.3s I've owned. Plus the 5r110 transmission..... I can't imagine going back....or forward to a $65,000+ new truck.
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #41

Mid Atlantic Campers
You must have several of those so called Unicorns also. I guess that's why the thief rate is so high on these models now. The na Sayers will always be here. So sorry for the pain.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:16 AM   #42

That is one buying philosophy that makes some sense to me. Buy a Ford 6.0. Hold $$$ back to get it fixed. Drive it until or if it breaks. Then get it fixed so you know what was done. If you get a extensive rebuild you will an ok truck.

Note: any diesel will have much more torque than any gasoline engine. Torque is what you need to tow 9,000 - 10,000 lbs.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, ford