Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2019, 05:49 AM   #1

Ford 3.5l TS Performance Ecoboost Ecopro

I've been researching this. Does anyone have experience towing with a TS Performance Ecoboost Ecopro for a 2011-2014 3.5L Ecoboost. If so, what say you bout the good &/or the bad.
It's suppose to
. increase HP 50+
. improve fuel economy
. more responsive throttle
if true

Would appreciate any feedback.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2019, 06:00 AM   #2

You can go to YouTube and FTL (Fast Lane Trucks) tested a turned eco-boost (not the tune you mentioned) and it was faster in the 1/4 mile by 2 seconds I think. They also pulled a trailer and it was faster acceleration.

Maybe YouTube search 'FTL drag race trailer'.

The 2.7 turned eco-boost broke the drive shaft. But the 3.5 eco-boost held up.

Incase you do not know the F-150 with the 2.7 eco-boost is the F-150 lite. Lighter frame, lower GVWR etc. Really was build so Ford did not need the Ford Ranger...or so they thought

You do know tuning an engine will lower its longevity right?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #3

Thanks for your feed back. This and other sites tell the same tale. Evidently nobody has actually installed one so that tells me allot. tuffr2..I have seen You tube videos bout this and other tunes.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnfool View Post
Thanks for your feed back. This and other sites tell the same tale. Evidently nobody has actually installed one so that tells me allot. tuffr2..I have seen You tube videos bout this and other tunes.
Most people towing are looking for durability and tunes kill durability. Most likely why there is little experience with the tunes
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:27 AM   #5

Quote:
I've been researching this. Does anyone have experience towing with a TS Performance Ecoboost Ecopro for a 2011-2014 3.5L Ecoboost. If so, what say you bout the good &/or the bad.
It's suppose to
. increase HP 50+
. improve fuel economy
if true

It is getting easier and easier to "tune" vehicles, especially turbocharged ones. My buddy doubled the output of his little Mitsubishi turbo 25+ years ago, just crank up the wastegate. Thing is, he needed an engine before hotting 40 000km.

You can only push so much before things start wearing or breaking.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #6

I think if I were going to tune an Eco-Boost I think I would try doing it with just software.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #7

Al lot of the 'chip tunes' just tell the ECU to expect a higher octane fuel than standard pump 87.

This allows for a more advanced timing and higher max boost...

Although, I'm afraid that it'll hurt longevity.
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:48 AM   #8

I am not sure what Ford did to the 3.5 Eco-Boost since 2011 when it had 420 ft. lbs. of torque to now 510 ft. lbs. of torque in the Raptor an 470 ft. lbs. In the regular F-150.

I think they added port injection along with the direct injection but that does not add power that I know of.

Ford is also using a graphite iron block for the 3.5 Eco-Boost which makes the block lighter and stronger.

Ford also contracts with Roush to soup up there cars and trucks. But I think Roush will super charge the 5.0 but does not soup up the 3.5 Eco-Boost.

5 or 10 years from now we can look back at all the turbo charged cars from Honda, Nissan, Ford, Chevy, etc and see the longevity of these new turbo engines.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:59 PM   #9

Quote:
It's suppose to
. increase HP 50+
. improve fuel economy
if true

FWIW, I tow a 7K trailer with a 3.5 Ecoboost. Don't have any issues with power. Stability is more of an issue than acceleration. Having said that, any of the Ecoboost tuners (Fiverstar, Livernois) can get more power out of the Ecoboost. It's turbocharged, so it's relatively easy to add boost, timing, or lean out the A/F ratio and make huge gains. Not sure about durability though, so I stay stock as long as my warranty is intact.
Jghall00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:48 AM   #10

Personally, having owned a tuned 2011 3.5EB F150, I wouldn't tow with it on a performance tune. The 6R80 just can't handle the low end torque. In 2015 they updated the transmission and fixed a bunch of the condensation issues with the intercooler.

I went through multiple 5# and Livernois tunes, as well as custom tunes from local shops. Seriously impressive numbers with some bolt ons and tuning. It's easy to get another 100 HP and 150 ft/lbs of torque without much parts investment and a 93 octane tune. But, weak link 6R80 just can't handle it. New clutch packs, built valve body, still it would **** the bed. I bought the truck new and at 45k mile when I traded it the trans had been cracked open 6 times.

Like mentioned, boost is not your friend when you are looking for efficiency. Your fuel economy will tank hard the more boost you give it.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:14 AM   #11

But boost equal smile. It is a bad drug and not fun at the high 93 anti knock nozzle. But fun while it lasts.

I am trying to squelch the want to buy a Eco-Boost ever since I test drove a 2018 Ford Raptor about 6 weeks ago.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #12

The easiest and probably SAFEST way to get more "power" out of any vehicle is to change the final drive ratio. If you have 3.55 go to 3.73. Got 3.73, go to 4.10. The dealer can correct the speedometer reading.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
Personally, having owned a tuned 2011 3.5EB F150, I wouldn't tow with it on a performance tune. The 6R80 just can't handle the low end torque. In 2015 they updated the transmission and fixed a bunch of the condensation issues with the intercooler.
I had not heard about transmission issues with the tune, so I looked up specs for the tranny. According to the link below, it's 590 lb-ft.

Ford 6R80 Transmission Specs & Ratios

If this is accurate, there should be some headroom. But I guess this is why manufacturers frequently limit torque output at low RPM. If I had to guess, i would say the rate at which torque ramps is probably more problematic than the actual peak torque. Wish I had the funds to find the limits of this engine/transmission combo, but the stock combo does its job well. Thanks for the warning. Maybe one day.
Jghall00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jghall00 View Post
I had not heard about transmission issues with the tune, so I looked up specs for the tranny. According to the link below, it's 590 lb-ft.

Ford 6R80 Transmission Specs & Ratios

If this is accurate, there should be some headroom. But I guess this is why manufacturers frequently limit torque output at low RPM. If I had to guess, i would say the rate at which torque ramps is probably more problematic than the actual peak torque. Wish I had the funds to find the limits of this engine/transmission combo, but the stock combo does its job well. Thanks for the warning. Maybe one day.
Yeah I don't think it's peak torque, but rather how fast it comes on. It's fine in high HP N/A V8 applications, like the Mustang and 5.0 F150. The 6R80 is technically a 4R70 case with 2 extra gears. Everything was shrunk to make it all fit. In 2012 they modified it from a 6 to 7 plate clutch due to 3.5 EB's eating them up. Line pressure and valve body components were also changed.

Most people never had any issues. But for those of us that drove the truck with a heavy foot, well, there's a massive thread on F150Forum about these transmissions having all kinds of issues. The first sign being when coming to a stop it feels like you get rear ended. Basically the clutch plates sticking and over pressure on a plunger valve until something breaks free.

Don't even get me started on the condensation in the intercooler that Ford refused to acknowledge until late 2013.

I'm sure they've worked out most of the kinks in new trucks. This motor mated with their new 10 speed must be an awesome ride. There's just nothing "Eco" about them unless you stay out of boost. Might as well get the N/A V6 if that's what you're looking for.

Tags
ford