Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2005, 03:13 AM   #15
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I recently sold my '02 Ford dually with the 7.3 and I'm shopping around for another truck. Even though I've had nothing but Ford diesels for the past ~20 years, my next truck won't be one.

Considering the fiasco Ford had with the 6.0 in '03 and '04, I'm not willing to gamble nearly $50K that they finally have it right. I'm leaning real heavy towards a GMC/Chevy with the LBZ/6 speed Alison combo and will probably be placing an order for one soon.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2005, 05:33 AM   #16

Ads like this have made me go "hmmmm" lately...

Link to E-Bay motors

Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:14 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Jeff,

Yep, I'm hoping the rumors of the 2007 Dodge 4500 & 5500 with the 6.7L Cummins are accurate. These large 5th wheels with GVWRs of up to 20,000 lbs or more are over the ratings of any of the 1-ton pickups.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:38 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rusty, I'm surprised that you don't already have a new FL70 as a minimum to tote your little trailer?

Ken
Old 11-04-2005, 07:52 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Actually, if I won the lottery, it would be a crew cab Peterbilt 335! I'm just wishing for a more cost-effective alternative somewhere between a 1-ton dually and a traditional MDT.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 05:29 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A friend of mine has an 03 Ford with the 6 ltr diesel. He had the same type of problems and the dealer had the truck for about 8 weeks and had the NAVISTAR zone rep in looking at it and after was all siad and done they told him to add some additives to the diesel. You know some, Cetane Boost or Diesel fuel conditioner. He has been doing that ever since and the problem has not returned.
Me perosnally would have told them to keep the truck. You shoule not have to add additives to the fuel to get it run correctly.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:42 PM   #21

Rusty, I hope those rumors are true, too, but I've heard those rumors for the last 3 years or so.

I've been thinking of a heavy 5er also, but it would overload a dually one ton.

Heck, when I bought my truck, rumors were that the new for mid 03 auto would be factory warrantied with the Jake... Took till 06 for that to happen.

That C5500 I posted the link to is looking pretty good...
Old 11-05-2005, 02:40 PM   #22

Thanks for the information. This morning I returned to the dealer for the forth time with the same problem. I was told that if I want to go the Lemon Law route, it would take at least 8 months to resolve. I believe the dealer is trying to intimidate me! I agree that having to add things to the fuel is rediculous. The service manager again stated that he will not "just change parts" and has no plan to deal with this problem. Point of information for PA residents: The dealer must notify the manufacturer of the second occurance of the same "nonconformity" in writing by certified mail, return receipt requested. If they don't, they are in violation of the PA Lemon Law. This dealer did not even know of the requirement, and disputed it until I provided them with a copy of the law. This dealer is just the pits. It is no surprise that Ford is closing plants.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:43 PM   #23

Sorry to hear them take that attitude.

If the turbo is really making a grinding noise and they say nothing needs fixed, I suppose when it acts up you could just romp on it.

Just make sure you have all your service records in order when you bring it back in blown...
Old 11-06-2005, 05:06 AM   #24

Threevagabonds

My Turbo made noise for about 1700 miles before it finally craped out. When it did it cost Ford big. I was 200 miles from home at 1A.M. Sunday morning towing my 33' camper. To top it off I ran it till it would run no more. Tow bill was huge, and they ended up replacing a lot of parts they could have avoided if they did the right thing. So when I hear about bottom dollar it just makes me laugh. We are playing the same game with an injector problem right now. I once again have decided not to fight, and run it till it dies.

You live in the best area to fix a turbo. Take the camper out for a ride on some of those hills for a while it may cost you tank of fuel but that should fix it right up. High temp, high boost, are not freindly to noisy turbos.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:35 AM   #25

Sorry to hear of your "new" problem. I have heard of injector problems from others. I would love to just take your suggestion and burn the turbo up, but we just retired (from Eastham on the Cape) and have reservations in FL starting in December. Ford (this dealer) has us over a barrel, knowing that we can't get there without using the truck. When I asked what I was to do if I had the problem on the trip down, they just said to take it to some other dealer to fix. If this is what I am getting from my selling dealer, I wonder where on the list I would be at some that did not know me or make a profit on the sale of the truck. Tomorrow I plan to get in touch with the Ford "zone" office and also the PA attorney general. I have no idea if it will help, but quite possibly I might get someones attention.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:20 AM   #26

Thanks for the info on these fords.
I have been looking at upgrading to a preowned diesel as the Toy hauler I want to buy is a little heavy for my 3/4 ton 6l suburban. I had no idea that ford was having problems. But come to think of it there certainly plenty of used ford diesels available!! Many more ford diesels than dodge or chevy in the trader mags. I've been looking at. I cannot afford to buy other peoples problems. Besides the ford dealer where I live is terrible when it comes to service.
Thanks I will keep up my research.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:43 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want a Ford, look for a 2002 with the 7.3L. This was the last full year of production of the old 7.3L and they had them working prety well. A few 7.3's were built early in the 2003 production year.

With Ford's stellar record on the 6.0L, I won't be looking for another one when it is time to replace this one.

Ken
Old 11-06-2005, 07:04 AM   #28

Whoya

I "love" my 2005 Ford truck, all except the engine! What I can't believe is that Ford does not get on the manufacturer of the engine and read them the riot act. Possibly they don't have anyone else to buy from? I am sure that if Cummins had so many problems, Dodge would have them by the throat. Also, I think that Cummins has better business ethics than either Ford or Navistar. Anyone have a large boat that needs an 8000lb anchor?