Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2005, 09:16 AM   #29
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tomorrow I plan to get in touch with the Ford "zone" office and also the PA attorney general. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try this Ford Complaint Escalation Form, maybe it'll help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2005, 09:17 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Well, HERE is one possibility.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:00 PM   #31

Somehow as I was reading this thread I new the link Rusty put up was the FordCummins link.

The only trouble with the 7.3 in the 350 is it only has a combined tow capacity of 20,000lbs.

I'd look for a 450 or 550 with the 7.3 and a 4:30 or lower rear ratio. At least it won't have that varible pitch turbo.

If I go more than 16,000 GVW in my next trailer, I will have to consider either the 450 or 550 with the 7.3 or a used FL or International if dodge does not let the 4500 come accross the border.

Dave
Old 11-06-2005, 07:20 PM   #32

Thanks Richard. My message is already on its way to Ford. I will post Ford's response to it on this site.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:42 PM   #33

How about a Duramax in an 05' suburban
Any shops doing that? I tried a quick search on google but not much luck......
Old 11-08-2005, 10:10 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I think the problem with the Duramax/Suburban is that the Suburbans/Yukons/Tahoes are still using last generation platforms - that's about to change. The Allison won't fit under the last generation floorpans as I understand it.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:49 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:
Actually, if I won the lottery, it would be a crew cab Peterbilt 335! I'm just wishing for a more cost-effective alternative somewhere between a 1-ton dually and a traditional MDT.

Rusty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NOW your talkin!!!! I know of a place in Arlington named "Lone Star Trucks" that makes some FINE "Lil Pete's" for pullin fivers and such.

Spent most of a day there a year or so back. I was very impressed with the workmanship. (Had to go back to "Lil Red" twice to get a fresh "Drool rag"...........)
Old 11-10-2005, 04:36 AM   #36

We have been having same problems with our "04" F250 6.0HD Diesel. Has been in the "shop" 6 times. They have replaced the turbo 2xs and fuel injector. Contacted Ford Cust. Service. .... nothing is showing up when they hook it up to computer. We are headed from Michigan to Az. in December, and have decided that if it loses power, etc. will just push on and hope it blows....let Ford foot that bill.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:02 AM   #37

Thanks for the information, although now I am even more conserned. They just called from the dealership and told me that they have decided to replace the turbo. They now say that they saw the turbo "slow down" a few times. I also found out that Ford has been replacing failed turbo's with REBUILT units, not new units. As soon as I get done sending this I will be on my way to the dealer to be sure they plan to install a NEW turbo on a truck with only 1700 miles on it. It is also telling that Ford has that many failed turbos that they can start a rebuild program. I am sorry you are in the same boat, and wish you luck during your upcoming trip. We are due to leave for FL on Dec. 2nd (if the truck is returned to us in time) We feel that Ford is not equipped to determine what causes certain problems, so just stonewalls their "best" customers, hoping they will get away with it.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:49 AM   #38

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed and Cheryl:
We have been having same problems with our "04" F250 6.0HD Diesel. Has been in the "shop" 6 times. They have replaced the turbo 2xs and fuel injector. Contacted Ford Cust. Service. .... nothing is showing up when they hook it up to computer. We are headed from Michigan to Az. in December, and have decided that if it loses power, etc. will just push on and hope it blows....let Ford foot that bill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been following this intently,please keep us all informed..my truck occasionally makes the scraping/rubbing/grinding metal noise from upfront somewhere, when towing and not towing.. I called the dealer who advises that there isnt a problem....so its going in for a check up and service...I told him they better find it(turbo?) because Im leaving in January, It will grind itself to death before i get it stopped or to a dealer.........

2004 Keystone Sprinter LA 292FWRLS
Skip298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:18 AM   #39
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Three vagabonds:
They just called from the dealership and told me that they have decided to replace the turbo. They now say that they saw the turbo "slow down" a few times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you think them calling and all of a sudden deciding to replace the turbo might have any relationship to the fact that you escalated the issue to Ford in Dearborn a few days ago?

I wouldn't be too concerned about the replacement being a rebuilt unit, it's plausable that the rebuilt units may have an improvement incorporated during the rebuild process that the new parts don't have. Either way, both would be covered under your 5 year or 100,000 engine warranty in the event of a subsequent failure.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:50 PM   #40

**** thing runs like it never has. Still has bottom end lag but i can live with it as it's not nearly as bad as it was. Here is the lowdown:

ALL NEW BALL JOINTS:

2- 4C3Z 3049
2- F81Z 1S175
2- 3C3Z 3254
2- 5C3Z 3050

BOTH WHEEL BEARING ASSYS.:
2- 3C3Z 1104

EX. MANIFOLD GASKETS:
2- 5C4Z 9448

ALL INJECTORS
8- 3C3Z 9E527

FUEL PUMP:
1- 6C3Z 9F759
1- 6C3Z 9G282

SHIFTER KNOB:
F81Z 7213

FICM:
1- 4C3Z 12B599

AND 35 HOURS LABOR.......................

SERVICE MANAGER SAID THE TOTAL BILL TO FORD WAS NORTH OF 6k!!!!!!!

All of that on top of this:
Flashed 5 times, EGR cooler replaced, VVRT solenoid replaced, Turbo Ped Replaced, EGR valve replaced 2X

Got rid of my junk 03 6.0 diesel!!!!!!
mjstef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:06 AM   #41

I'm sure that the turbo replacement decision was in part the result of calling FORD, and the owner of the dealership. I have a friend whose father is the service manager at a Ford dealership (unfortunately very far away) and he asked him about the "rebuilt" turbos. His father told him that there are many many turbo's failing, and that Ford has decided not to sell any new ones, only rebuilts, with as many as four upgrades incorporated. This all well and good, but I wonder if the basic design, and the quality of the manufacturer still will be problems, now and in the future. I guess we are going to be used as "beta sites" for Ford engineering. Not exactly why I bought a NEW truck!
Old 11-12-2005, 05:19 AM   #42

Skip298

All I can recommend is as soon as possible put all the pressure you can on everyone you can think of. That includes the salesman, sales manager, one for sure the owner of the dealership. Then call Ford Customer Service and get EVERYTHING on record. Each time I call Ford, they called the dealer while I was still on the phone with them. In short, the more noise you make, the better your chances are that they will want you to "go away" and maybe do something for you. I can tell you that your description sounds very similar to mine, and even the mechanic at the dealer suspected the turbo, but by FORD MOTOR CO rules, was not allowed to replace it without PROOF it was the problem. I wish you luck, and as you read, I hope the rebuilt turbo they installed for me yesterday is the answer!