Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2005, 06:27 PM   #43

Good luck. I have a 01 with the 7.3 and couldn't be happier. I talked with my dealer about a trade, but he let me know the 6.0 is having tons of problems and if my 7.3 is doing well, then don't change.
I added a Banks Six-Gun and gauges. The truck runs great. Don't forget Ford is replacing the 6.0 with a larger engine. I belive it is a 6.5, but I don't know if it is just a bored out 6.0 or a new design.
DNR

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2005, 03:51 AM   #44
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I've been driving Ford diesels for 13 years and I just sold my '02 7.3 liter last month. Other than a few concerns with the brakes on the last two trucks, I really didn't have any problems with them. The 7.3 is a good engine and if it were available in an '06 model I'd probably consider another Ford.

When the the 6.0 was first introduced as an '03 model in December 2002, I followed the the 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain forum very closely and observed a lot of guys who bought these trucks were thoroughly disgusted with them due to major engine problems. Many were bought back by Ford, a lengthy process that requires a lot of time.

These original posts discussing the '03 and '04 Ford 6.0 liter engines are still available in the TheDieselStop.Com Archives, anyone can peruse information through it and make their own determination of the qualities or issues with the 6.0 engine.

I sure hope you can get Ford to resolve your concerns with the "low turbo pressure", it'd seem that after 3 years of production of these engines they'd have the bugs out of them.

Old 11-18-2005, 06:00 AM   #45

Thanks for the information. I agree that you would think that after three years, the bugs would be worked out. Not so. They decided to replace the turbo, after continuing to say that it was not defective. When Ford did that, they replaced it with a "Remanufactured" turbo. Ford does not have new turbo's for sale, or for replacement during warranty. I have learned that they have had so many issues with the "variable turbo" used on the 6.0 engine that they decided to send them back to the manufacturer for modification and reinstall on someone elses truck. I fought them to install a new turbo, but with no success. So I may have a vintage 2003 turbo installed on my 1700 mile 2005 truck. Needless to say, I am not happy with rebuilt parts on my new truck. Ford like any of the manufacturers, has issues, but I get the feeling that Ford is waiting for me to get more than 12M miles and more than 12 months on the truck and thus avoid having to buy back the truck.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:13 AM   #46

I had a chance to buy a super clean used 2002 F 350 with the 7.3, but opted to buy "new" so that we had a "warranty" and were not taking a chance on issues with buying "used". We made a big mistake! I wonder how many Ford people will look at other brands of truck when they need their next one. Many, I think.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:08 AM   #47

Appalachian Campers
I think the issues with the 6.0's has enhanced the resale value and/or saleability of the earlier 7.3's that are in good condition and have low miles.

My previously mentioned 2002 F350 dually 7.3 liter with only 47K miles on it sold last month for a price within $6,700 of what I paid for it when new. A fellow from Reno, Nevada flew here to North Carolina and paid me by certified check then drove it back to Nevada, a distance of over 2,400 miles.

After we did the deal, I asked him why he'd come so far to buy a truck, couldn't he find one out there that suited him? His response was that he didn't want the 6.0 liter due to its reputation and that all he could find for sale in his area was used '03's and '04's with the 6.0 engine. According to him, the few earlier years' 7.3's that he was able to locate all had the heck beat out of them and most had well over 100K miles, some with over 200k on them.

I realize the resale market can't be evaluated based on the sale of one used truck but it sure was easy for me to sell that truck and I usually like to get a new one every 4-5 years just to avoid problems associated with an older vehicle.

Again good luck on the repairs with yours and keep in mind that not all the 6.0's have problems. I'm certain there are tens of thousands of them running around with zero issues, it's the ones that break down that seem to get the negative commentary. Not too many guys will get on the Internet just to say their truck is running fine.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:31 PM   #48

My '05 6.0 F250 is running fine. (Knock on Wood)
TTT1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 04:05 AM   #49

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My '05 6.0 F250 is running fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had any oil leaks?
Old 11-19-2005, 07:41 AM   #50

I have a 2003 f250 6.0 bought it in feb 03 so its a new one RUNS GREAT
Old 11-20-2005, 02:15 PM   #51

I agree that there many 6.0 Ford diesels out there that are running with no problems. My MAIN problem is with the way FoMo Co and its dealer are responding the my problem. It goes without saying, that someone with a "good" 6.0 does not KNOW how Ford handles problems. I would never have thought that Ford would treat a customer in this way, and by way of posts on various sites, have found many others with the same experience as I am having.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:19 AM   #52

In June we took to dealer(5th time)for service re. loss of power,etc.. At that time they could not duplicate the problem and of course nothing showed up on their computers. Service tec Told us to pick it up..and we would probably encounter same problems.....We had a vacation planned to South Carolina. From Michigan to South Carolina no problems. Coming home lost power, and we pulled off the road shut it down and waited a bit. Ran fine the rest of the way. When we came home contacted Ford Cust. Service. He set up appointment with dealer. Again they could not duplicate the problem. We have had this problem while towing our 5th wheel and without. Since (visit #6) we have not encountered any problems..We too feel Ford Motor is aware of this problem but does not know how to deal with it or correct it. Our attorney suggested we have a video cam with us and "film" what happends when loosing power etc. (what the tac reads, speed, on a hill,or whatever.)We will be leaving Michigan for Arizona in December.....have our fingers crossed....Wish we had kept our 02 7.3 250HD disel Ford......
Old 11-21-2005, 05:32 AM   #53

Ed & Cherel,

Good luck on your trip. We are leaving for FL on Dec 2nd, and also have our fingers crossed. Let me know what happens. I'll do the same. There may be "strength in numbers" when dealing with Ford.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:02 AM   #54

You too have a safe and uneventful trip! We will update any problems...hope there won't be any!!!
Old 11-21-2005, 10:59 AM   #55

I tried to make mine do the metal scraping/rubbing sound and it wouldnt...oh well...then I was just pulling on to the freeway in 3rd gear and I kicked it down into passing gear and it just meandered along..with my foot pushed thru the floorboards, it did absolutely nothing.......so i let off nad kicked it down again and it took off like a rabbit...I seem to lose the power when I am accellerating and then kick it down to really accellerate...did it several times..is tht what they call turbo lag??

2004 Keystone Sprinter LA 292FWRLS
Skip298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:30 PM   #56

Ed & Cheryl,

No sooner did I send the post this morning and drove to the store, the problem struck again. The truck is back at the dealer with the exact same symptoms. The owner of the dealership gave me a ride home, and on the way, he admited that ne is frustrated by the lack of support he is getting from FoMoCo. I do believe the dealer is trying, but gets no help from Ford. He promiced to keep me posted day by day. He got a first hand look at our fifth wheel, and also a very angry wife when he pulled into our driveway. This is getting way to close to our departure date....but what can we do.....