Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #1

I have a new 6.0 diesel with only 1500 miles on it, and the check engine light went on along with a "grinding" noise from the turbo area, loss of power, and almost no boost registering.
The dealer I bought it at found that the light was caused by "low turbo pressure" but that when they checked it today the pressure was 29lbs (normal?) They "checked everything that could cause the low pressure and "everything is OK. They can't tell me what happened and told me that Ford will not allow them to replace ANYTHING without being SURE that's the problem. I am very concerned about our upcoming trip from PA to FL. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this problem or how to deal with this dealer? or Ford?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #2

I have a new 6.0 diesel with only 1500 miles on it, and the check engine light went on along with a "grinding" noise from the turbo area, loss of power, and almost no boost registering.
The dealer I bought it at found that the light was caused by "low turbo pressure" but that when they checked it today the pressure was 29lbs (normal?) They "checked everything that could cause the low pressure and "everything is OK. They can't tell me what happened and told me that Ford will not allow them to replace ANYTHING without being SURE that's the problem. I am very concerned about our upcoming trip from PA to FL. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this problem or how to deal with this dealer? or Ford?

Old 10-25-2005, 05:45 PM   #3

Having warranty work done on my TVand we are also very concerned about leaving for our winter vacation.. The last thing I want to have is a breakdown,,,if its any consolation, if it breaks down and it has to be towed in, if you have to stay somewhere. Ford pays the bills..If it happens it happens..not going is worse.

2004 Keystone Sprinter LA 292FWRLS
Skip298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:37 AM   #4

Agreed! We WILL be going, and who knows, if we have problems, we might meet very nice people along the way. How's that for having a positive attitude?
Old 10-26-2005, 06:54 AM   #5

You might want to go over to http://www.thedieselstop.com & try posting your concerns over there. All Ford site with alot of people who may be able to help.

TankerYanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:08 PM   #6

Actually I have been there a couple of times...there is a post with similiar circumstances......Using the correct descriptive terminology is very important, I will be watching the thread very closely...good luck...

2004 Keystone Sprinter LA 292FWRLS
Skip298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:56 PM   #7

Thanks. I have already posted my problem on the site.

Update: Got the truck back from the dealer, and on the way home the "check engine" light came back on, the boost droped and the noise reoccured. I drove it right back to the dealer. This is strike two, and I have hopes that FORD MOTOR CO will now get involved. I let them know that I have no problem getting a new 2006 to replace this one. (Actually thats not true, as I have a pile of other money invested in this truck, and I need it to go down to FL in one month. I hope they get motivated and fix this one.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:55 AM   #8

Here's an article related to the topic that I thought you might want to read.
Click Here
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:52 PM   #9

Thanks. I read the article on Ford and am not suprised that their 6.0 diesel has adversly affected their bottom line. If the way they intend to reduce their warranty costs is to not fix problems, then they have learned nothing. You would have thought they learned their lesson from the thousands of buybacks they had during the first year of the 6.0 engine, but maybe not.....
Old 10-29-2005, 05:00 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just had my 2002 to the local Ford service to get the rear axle pinion seal replaced and was talking to the mechanic as he finished. I ask him how the 6.0L was doing and he told me to be happy that I had a 7.3L. He said they were still getting a lot of warranty problems on the 6.0L, even the newest ones. Felt it had a long way to go to get to the point of the last 7.3L engines. He had a 2001 7.3L and said noway would he get a new one wit hthe 6.0L. Said as much as he hated to admit it, he would go look a Dodge Cummins next.

Ken
Old 10-30-2005, 03:14 PM   #11

I am hearing the same thing from people around here that own various years of Ford diesels. If I did not own my Ford, I would instead buy the new Dodge "large" crew cab that they just came out with. I mainly bought the Ford because I thought that the cab was much nicer and roomier than the Dodge and Chevy. A mistake! Having said that, I need Ford to step up and fix their product. Does anyone know why Ford jumped from the 7.3 to the 6.0?
Old 10-30-2005, 04:19 PM   #12

I think the 6.0 was mainly intended to meet tightening emission requirements...

The problem I have with the Mega cab is no long box... My quad is actually reasonable for adults, but not for a long trip.

The other thing Ford has going is the F450 and F550. I'm eyeballing a bigger rig, which is above what a Ram 3500 is rated to tow... but don't want a 6.0 so that leaves GMC C4500...

Anyway, good luck with the Ford. Hopefully it will either act up before your trip, or not act up again.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 04:53 PM   #13

Thanks for the information on the reason for the 6.0 engine and the lack of a LB for the Dodge. I looked at the GMC, very nice. Thanks for the good luck wishes, we can use all we can get!
Old 10-30-2005, 05:36 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff_in_The_Dalles:
I think the 6.0 was mainly intended to meet tightening emission requirements...

The problem I have with the Mega cab is no long box... My quad is actually reasonable for adults, but not for a long trip.

The other thing Ford has going is the F450 and F550. I'm eyeballing a bigger rig, which is above what a Ram 3500 is rated to tow... but don't want a 6.0 so that leaves GMC C4500...

Anyway, good luck with the Ford. Hopefully it will either act up before your trip, or not act up again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will respectfully disagree on the 6.0 reasoning. I've heard that same reasoning a hundred times and I just don't believe it. So, we can land a man on the moon, but to further develop a 7.3 to meet emissions is not possible? Bull dookie. I don't know if this is true, but is my guess. The 7.3 was getting whomped for power, durability and fuel efficiency by a 5.9L CTD, and 6.6L DMax. I think they thought it would be appealing to customers to have one that is competitive in displacement, and up the ante for power. Which they did, but still can't get it to be dependable.

As for the LB MegaCab, its coming. Give it another year model.

Can't blame ya for looking at a C4500 though.

- JyRO

JyRO is offline   Reply With Quote