Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #15

I would buy a used 6.2 they are available cheap. Trades in for stronger diesels. They drop in value like a stone.
I bought a small car for my every day driving and my used diesel has been keeping it's value very well.
The OP could have saved a lot if he had owned a 7.3 instead and could keep it longer to tow the heavier unit.
Lessons learned from my past experiences.
Only diesel for towing is my moto. In the long run it can't be beat. I own a 6.0 diesel and it's 9 years old and have no intention of trading it yet and I tow a 15k lbs unit 10k miles each year.
Plus the truck is used all summer for my business. Could not think of doing it with a wimpy gas truck.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #16

If you're only going to use it to tow, expect to get 100k out of the motor before it starts to get tired.

Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #17

The new motors in the past years have proven to last significantly more than you know. I'm a diesel love too but on the other hand I don't want to drive a daily diesel costing not pulling. Ones that work them all the time seem to get better life on them.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #18

Thanks for all the feedback here guys...

I should have contained all of this to one thread rather than two. Lesson learned..

From what I posted on the other thread
While I would not want to be in a situation where I was using the engine at its peak power for extended durations, I would have no problem with doing it for 30 minutes to an hour at a time with similar durations of lower power settings. At peak power, the cooling systems and oil should be fine, even for extended periods of time if they were properly designed and functioning to their expectations and design spec.

When I see huge class A motorhomes that have to weigh close to 20k# or more pulling boats, SUVs, etc behind them and all with the older 6.8liter V10, I am reassured that expecting gas engines to perform under heavy loading for extended periods is not folly..
My local Ford Dealer has 3-2015's in stock. One of them is diesel the others are 6.2's.. I plan on taking a couple of test drives soon..
Old 05-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We expect to see a tow report here before this thread gets buried.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Thanks for all the feedback here guys...

I should have contained all of this to one thread rather than two. Lesson learned..

From what I posted on the other thread
While I would not want to be in a situation where I was using the engine at its peak power for extended durations, I would have no problem with doing it for 30 minutes to an hour at a time with similar durations of lower power settings. At peak power, the cooling systems and oil should be fine, even for extended periods of time if they were properly designed and functioning to their expectations and design spec.

When I see huge class A motorhomes that have to weigh close to 20k# or more pulling boats, SUVs, etc behind them and all with the older 6.8liter V10, I am reassured that expecting gas engines to perform under heavy loading for extended periods is not folly..
My local Ford Dealer has 3-2015's in stock. One of them is diesel the others are 6.2's.. I plan on taking a couple of test drives soon..
You want to know why your local dealer has the 6.2's in stock? Because Ford told him he's going to have to take a bunch of low demand gas units in order to get diesel engine truck order allocations--the trucks he really makes the money on.

Ford will also tell dealers if they want their factory orders on SuperDuty diesels processed, they're going to take a bunch of Ford Fiestas. That's how Ford gets dealers to stock low demand units.

(I worked at Ford for 24 years, and dealt closely with dealer services.)
Old 05-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #21

I ordered a 13 F250 CC 4X4 just for work and some occasional towing. It is fully loaded with 4.30 locking gears in the rear and overload springs. Factory fiver and gooseneck prep package, which is a bargain. Factory bed liner and trailer brakes. Backup camera and rear crash sensors. Factory wheel liners in the rear, which should come on all pickups, but Ford doesn't see it that way. We have a V10 motorhome and two other V10 F350 SRW pickups. This truck will run with a V10 all day long. The six speed really helps over the V10 five speeds as does the select shift feature. It has more HP then the V10s, 385 verses 362 but a little less torque. I tow a fifth wheel flat bed about 5K with a 10K John Deere loader tractor on it. This truck weighs 8K empty at the coop scales. Can weigh for free at most coops. That makes for a gross weight of 23K. It tows very similar to the 08 F350 with the V10. I took the tall blocks off of both F350s and replaced with shorter F250 blocks as I didn't like the rear height and rake of them. That's the only difference between the 250 and 350. I didn't want to do another one so I just ordered the 250. When you change to lower blocks you have to readjust headlights as they will now blind people, but are good for coon hunting. these gas engines do a all-right job towing, but they can't tow with a diesel. They are probably more reliable then the new diesels with all that urea and emissions crap on them. And they will run for hundreds of thousands of miles if you take care of them. This truck is mostly my daily driver and part time tow rig. Used to pull a fiver and boat with the 08 V10 and it did a good job. You know, 50 miles to the lake one way, and back. If I was touring the country, would have a diesel. But the urea, and only a 25 gallon tank on the diesel, verses 35 on the gasser, and I only drive it about 4K or so a year. But for work are play, they have many advantages over a diesel. They are rated to cold start down to 35 below. Don't try that with a diesel. I don't designate F or C as this is America. And I only type in English. And speed is always mph. No need to designate!
Old 05-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #22

One word of advice to anybody wanting to tow anything, or just to haul a bag of groceries home from Walmart with a Ford Super Duty gasser. You gota get the 4.30 gears, as they need that in a big way. If 4.56 or 4.88 were available that would be even better. But there not. The 3.73 gears are nothing but a joke, but that's what most dealers have on their lots. Go figure.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:37 PM   #23

Go to youtube and search for 'Fast Lane Trucks'. The gas 6.2 Ford beat the Ram 6.4 gas and the Chevy 6.0 gas if I remember correctly.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:37 PM   #24

IMO you may find 6.2 towing heavy reviews few far between. not that it won't do it, it's that it won't do it as well a the 6.7 PS. I have hardly read any reports about guys towing 15,000lbs with the 6.2. Reason is cause it not really practical. Someone buying a 15,000 5'er isn't doing so for just a couple weekends of camping. Their using their 5'er for full timing or doing a lot of playing with ATV's and such. Maybe living in FL a guy could get away with it. But any part of the country where you have any kind of a mtn or hilly terrain it would be torture. Who wants to listen to a gasser wound out at 4500-5000 rpms? At the same time sucking gas @6-7 mpg.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #25

If you want to stay with gas, this may be a perfect option. Look at a F450 chassis cab with the 6.8L V10. There should be available aftermarket tow beds or some sort of bed to install. What your getting is a Superduty truck with the tried and true heavy gas hauler V10.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
IMO you may find 6.2 towing heavy reviews few far between. not that it won't do it, it's that it won't do it as well a the 6.7 PS. I have hardly read any reports about guys towing 15,000lbs with the 6.2. Reason is cause it not really practical. Someone buying a 15,000 5'er isn't doing so for just a couple weekends of camping. Their using their 5'er for full timing or doing a lot of playing with ATV's and such. Maybe living in FL a guy could get away with it. But any part of the country where you have any kind of a mtn or hilly terrain it would be torture. Who wants to listen to a gasser wound out at 4500-5000 rpms? At the same time sucking gas @6-7 mpg.
There is a moderator on FTE who ordered a F350 dully two wheel drive with the 6.2 and 4.30 gears. He pulls a large fiver and travels all over. He has done several write ups on his rig. He seems to like it and gets along real good. I can't remember his mileage as its been awhile since I've read his posts. That's on Ford truck Enthusiast. He goes by rvpuller. He pulls a 35 foot fiver weighing over 15K. He's been all over the mountains of Wyoming and Utah. Averaging 8 mpg. He just loves his 6.2.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
If you want to stay with gas, this may be a perfect option. Look at a F450 chassis cab with the 6.8L V10. There should be available aftermarket tow beds or some sort of bed to install. What your getting is a Superduty truck with the tried and true heavy gas hauler V10.
And I think they now come with the six speed select shift. When will the F53 get the six speed behind the V10? Would be a great improvement.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
And I think they now come with the six speed select shift. When will the F53 get the six speed behind the V10? Would be a great improvement.
The only option for the 6 speed right now is with the V10 in the medium duty truck (F650/F750). For as great as the 5R110W is, I have to believe it's days are numbered.

Tags
ford