Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #15

I Ben looking on the ford forms and the have minor issue like turbo at pitcher bs stuff here the thing I'm only buying to tow my trailer so my mileage is not going to be high I love the cummins and durmax biz don't like the trucks love ford but had problems with the 03 But was just cause it a 6.0l but that makes me not want to buy anther and just buy older model with a 7.3l but they getim hard to find in good shape and when u do find it they think it gold and want top doller I was also looking into mini frightliner cause this trailer huge 40ft and weighs around 19,000

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt9903 View Post
I Ben looking on the ford forms and the have minor issue like turbo at pitcher bs stuff....

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #17

Rusty I total agree I have no clue what there .
Old 06-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Ken
Old 06-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Apologies Matt,
but we aren't sure what you are saying in your last few posts here....

is this a case of English as a second language ???
(as some of the Audi sites I visit the language barrier gets in our way of helping )
Old 06-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I sit here reflecting back to 1999. When Ford came out with the 7.3L PSD the Ford Diesel forms were all a buzz about the new motor. Not too long after the 7.3L, with all its' problems, became the biggest piece of crap Ford ever put into a motor vehicle. These conversations continued until 2001 (???maybe `02, don't remember) when the 6.0L was announced. It was the saving grace for Ford. Not too long after that the 6.0L became the biggest piece of crap Ford ever put into a motor vehicle and some were wishing they had their 7.3L back; even tho they were supposed to be crap too. I guess they weren't as crappy as the 6.0. Ford always blamed it on Navistar while Navistar blamed it on the Ford add-ons. In the end, the customers were hurt. Well then came along the 6.4L. It was to be Ford's saving grace. Albeit the 6.4 had some issues, as well as lousy fuel mileage, but not as many so the 6.0 remained to biggest piece of crap. Now the 6.7 is out and it seems to be the most solid of the 4 motors.

Knock on wood I've been lucky. I had a `99 7.3L and had no problems that caused me to break down. I did take it in for an oil change and they replaced the turbo; said it was making a funny noise. but I did not experience any problems with that motor. it even had good fuel mileage (I got 19-21 solo, 12-14 towing). I then had an `05 6.0L. Only issue with that one was the whistling noise it made on hot days towing uphill. Sounded like a tea kettle. Of course the dealer could not duplicate and I wasn't willing to take the service writer on vacation with me to hear it first hand. My fuel mileage with this motor was about the same as my `99. Now I've got the 6.4L. I have had the radiator replaced, 2 exhaust sensors replaced along with the lousy fuel mileage. Enough to wish I had my 7.3 or 6.0 back? No !! All in all I had no where near the problems I read others to have so I guess I am fortunate. Again knock on wood.

Now I have a 2012 6.7L on order. It should be in end of June or early July. I hope my luck continues. It seems Ford has had ups and downs at the expense of their diesel customers, but looks like they finally got it right.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #21

I hope so. Before this the last diesel I owned was a 1979 GMC.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #22

Ford starting placing the 7.3L powerstroke in the super duty's in 1996. Prior to that there was a 7.3 IDI, and there 6.9 NA diesel. The 7.3L or T444e (international's) was the best diesel motors that was ever put in a Ford Truck. Im not sure where "the piece of crap" comes in. They had some changes in 2000 to materials that the internal motor parts were made of, the addition of the intercooler, and obviously others. But by no means was this motor ever a piece of crap. Low mileage 7.3L's with good bodies and interior fetch 20-25K on the market today. For trucks that are at least 9 years old, thats pretty good. You dont see any 9+ year old dodge's or chevy's getting that money.

As far as your 6.7L, I love mine, and Im sure you will too. The power is remarkable. Obviously like in any motor, some are going to have problems. When talking with the service techs at my dealership they say these motors are strong, but they do have some come in for problems.

2010 Holiday Rambler Campmaster 28 RLS - SOLD
Fyrman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrman25 View Post
But by no means was this motor ever a piece of crap. Low mileage 7.3L's with good bodies and interior fetch 20-25K on the market today. For trucks that are at least 9 years old, thats pretty good. You dont see any 9+ year old dodge's or chevy's getting that money.
I have a mint 99.5 7.3 with only 89k on the clock. (i use my motorcycle for transport) the truck mostly for towing.
id have trouble parting with it.. and a harder time replacing it w/20k.

I seen the sticker in the window of my neighbors new powerstroke.

sweet truck.. but c'mon!!
lynn boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrman25 View Post
Ford starting placing the 7.3L powerstroke in the super duty's in 1996. Prior to that there was a 7.3 IDI, and there 6.9 NA diesel. The 7.3L or T444e (international's) was the best diesel motors that was ever put in a Ford Truck. Im not sure where "the piece of crap" comes in. They had some changes in 2000 to materials that the internal motor parts were made of, the addition of the intercooler, and obviously others. But by no means was this motor ever a piece of crap. Low mileage 7.3L's with good bodies and interior fetch 20-25K on the market today. For trucks that are at least 9 years old, thats pretty good. You dont see any 9+ year old dodge's or chevy's getting that money.

As far as your 6.7L, I love mine, and Im sure you will too. The power is remarkable. Obviously like in any motor, some are going to have problems. When talking with the service techs at my dealership they say these motors are strong, but they do have some come in for problems.
Actually Ford started putting the Powerstroke in Super Dutys in 94.5 not 96
Old 06-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #25

I drive a Dodge but love the Ford cab and ride. The problem with all the ford engines is trying to pressurize standard motor oil to 3 to 4 thousnd psi in the High press oil pump that fires the injectors. That much pressure just shears the oil. If in California, the reformulated diesel is also to dry for any Diesel. Motor oil needs to be synthetic and diesel needs a lubrication addative. Look up" Archoil" P.S. I don't sell it.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek
I drive a Dodge but love the Ford cab and ride. The problem with all the ford engines is trying to pressurize standard motor oil to 3 to 4 thousnd psi in the High press oil pump that fires the injectors. That much pressure just shears the oil. If in California, the reformulated diesel is also to dry for any Diesel. Motor oil needs to be synthetic and diesel needs a lubrication addative. Look up" Archoil" P.S. I don't sell it.
So do Ford dealers in CA have a supplemental sheet that tells you that? They only spec Ford dino oil not synth, in my manual (PA).
Old 06-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
So do Ford dealers in CA have a supplemental sheet that tells you that? They only spec Ford dino oil not synth, in my manual (PA).
No they do not tell you that. Back in the 80's I was a fleet manager and we had over 2,000 chevy pick ups. All of a sudden we started loosing camshafts and #6 rod brg. I contacted Mobil, Shell and Kendall oil reps. Found documentation that the big 3, Chry, GM and Ford had the American Petroleum Institute to change the specifications on canned motor oil. It previously contained Alkyl Zinc which is an extreme anti wear ingredient. Alkyl Zinc fouled the catalytic converters and they would not last the 5 year warranty, so it had to go. Alkyl zinc stayed in diesel oils for some time because they had no Cat converter.. Does this sound like they are watching out for you? While doing my research using hundreds of sampleings of used motor oil using various oils and synthetics, I found synthetics to last 3 to 4 times longer with out breaking down than Delo, Rotella and others. At that time Kendall super d3 was the best standard oil available. A site called diesel garage.com goes into this in a lot more depth.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #28

You'll find horror stories about almost every engine out there without even trying to look! I'm not here to get into a debate on why one is better than another for what ever reason.
The OP asked about the Ford 6.7 twin turbo and opinions.
Here's mine:
The current Ford 6.7 is a fine engine when left stock or reasonably stock. In its most current factory update/reflash it makes class leading HP/TQ.
BUT Lean on the current Ford 6.7L (like I have with my 6.4 twin turbo) and you WILL see premature engine failures. This is NOT to claim our 6.4 will not experience them also! I currently have almost 15K miles with this tune without a single issue. (knock on wood) We will be starting a 10K mile round RV vacation on 6/30. So we'll see how well it goes, I'll post a thread with daily updates during the trip if there is interest. We are planning our route to include a few of the "10 toughest tows in America" to see how our tuned F-450 compares to the stockers weighing about 5000+ pounds more total load. We should be rollin along in the 29,000 pound area.

10 Toughest Tows In America - Black Mountain - Diesel Power Magazine

If you were to read the whole story, there's more to it than a timed run up through Eisenhower tunnel. They take these 3 trucks pulling a 14K pound trailer on a 2000+ mile trip to see how they like these rigs and how they compare. Yes they say good things about each of the big three 1 ton duallys and I'm sure there are good things about each truck. But as usual they don't say much bad about any of them. (as usual) So I have to take what they say with a grain of salt. (and I like Tequila with my salt)
Here in Ak I am sure we have steeper, harder, longer, climbs than some of those listed but we don't have the altitude nor the heat added in there so this will be a fun 'test' for our 'lil 6.4L'

Back on task: I guess I'm saying get the truck you want, the engine will be fine no matter what badge is on the grill!

Lastly: not to offend anyone, but I never believe any MPG figures unless they specifically state they were 'hand calculated' and even then there could be errors.

Get what you want and enjoy the heck out of it!