Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2015, 02:46 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
doesn't matter - not germane to the discussion at hand
425 HP BIG "C" Nice!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #44

The term 'Hemi' to me means very ancient design from the 60's. There are plenty of more powerful gas engines then the 'Hemi'.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:53 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The term 'Hemi' to me means very ancient design from the 60's. There are plenty of more powerful gas engines then the 'Hemi'.
I am no expert but the Name "HEMI" just sounds good but the engine design is nothing like the original engine.

You can't believe how many people asked if my 98 had a "HEMI" I would just give them one of these
Old 09-11-2015, 10:03 PM   #46

Ford 6.7L or GM 6.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
"hopefully nothing older than a 2015 unless they want it to be bought back, like to buy new front tires every few thousand miles or like the front end to shake."

The people that are eligible are getting a screaming deal!

I owned a 11 HO RAM Dually. I had ZERO problems. I did the tie rod recall did not notice a difference in the way it drove. Never had a steering problem it drove really good. The POS General tires that came on it only went 25k and had a tread separation, nothing to do with the front end. Replaced with MS2's 40K later traded truck on current RAM the tires looked great with 13 tread left easily.

The 13 and newer trucks are NOT part of the buy back.

I just spoke to an owner of a 2014 DRW RAM that said he was part of the buyback. Maybe he was incorrect but said he had received the notification. He explained the details, % of MSRP, $2000 for their trouble, etc. It might be a good deal if you were interested in trading for a new truck, otherwise it would suck in my opinion. A lot of people don't want to start all over with new truck payments. Their offer may be good for the trucks value but the owner still has to buy a new vehicle

I'm not putting the RAM down, Ford has had their issues in the past also. But, the 6.7 hardly has a bad reputation and as a matter of fact I'd say it has an excellent reputation. If you search the internet basically one can find lots of complaints on pretty much anything.

The whole J2807 compliant sales pitch is a joke. It doesn't mean anything and all three brands will haul and tow very similar. It's too competitive of a market for one manufacturer to be substantially substandard.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:35 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
I just spoke to an owner of a 2014 DRW RAM that said he was part of the buyback. Maybe he was incorrect but said he had received the notification. He explained the details, % of MSRP, $2000 for their trouble, etc. It might be a good deal if you were interested in trading for a new truck, otherwise it would suck in my opinion. A lot of people don't want to start all over with new truck payments. Their offer may be good for the trucks value but the owner still has to buy a new vehicle

I'm not putting the RAM down, Ford has had their issues in the past also. But, the 6.7 hardly has a bad reputation and as a matter of fact I'd say it has an excellent reputation. If you search the internet basically one can find lots of complaints on pretty much anything.

The whole J2807 compliant sales pitch is a joke. It doesn't mean anything and all three brands will haul and tow very similar. It's too competitive of a market for one manufacturer to be substantially substandard.
Your F450 is SAE J2708 compliant but the F250/350 are not. So that tells me they would have to lower their ratings if they tried to be comply.

I guarantee you they will be compliant when Ford comes out with a new F series platform.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:54 AM   #48

Ford 6.7L or GM 6.6L

Quote:
Your F450 is SAE J2708 compliant but the F250/350 are not. So that tells me they would have to lower their ratings if they tried to be comply.

I guarantee you they will be compliant when Ford comes out with a new F series platform.

Yes, I agree they probably will. No doubt there is some BS in their marketing for sure. The RAM's are very nice trucks and they definitely raised the bar. Ford knows they need to redesign the Super Duty line and upgrade their interiors. I like my King Ranch interior, especially my seats, but I'd say the dash and door panels, LED lights, for sure need to improve to compete with RAM and GM. As I've said before the RAM's are definitely on the increase in my area, I see new DRW RAM trucks almost daily. I still see more SRW Fords by far locally but F250/F350 SRW trucks are about 1 out of 4 vehicles here it seems.

Anyway, take care and enjoy that beautiful truck and 5th wheel you have. That is a stunning combination for sure! I just have to occasionally give you RAM guys a hard time and defend our Fords
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:07 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
Yes, I agree they probably will. No doubt there is some BS in their marketing for sure. The RAM's are very nice trucks and they definitely raised the bar. Ford knows they need to redesign the Super Duty line and upgrade their interiors. I like my King Ranch interior, especially my seats, but I'd say the dash and door panels, LED lights, for sure need to improve to compete with RAM and GM. As I've said before the RAM's are definitely on the increase in my area, I see new DRW RAM trucks almost daily. I still see more SRW Fords by far locally but F250/F350 SRW trucks are about 1 out of 4 vehicles here it seems.

Anyway, take care and enjoy that beautiful truck and 5th wheel you have. That is a stunning combination for sure! I just have to occasionally give you RAM guys a hard time and defend our Fords
Thank you!

Competition is great for all of us. If it weren't for the KR there would not be a LongHorn! It really is nice we have trucks that are ready right out of the box without having to add a bunch of stuff to do the job as in with trucks in the past.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:52 PM   #50
KC

Not to start anything, but I working in the Towing industry now and we have a fleet of fords with 6.7 with most now over 100k and had good luck with them. I have seen lots of towing companyís using the Ram, but I canít comment on them.

KC
Old 09-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #51

Quote:
All you have to do is drive up and down I-5 and take note of the RV and HotShotters.

Go to the popular weekend warrior RV parks and the opposite will be true.

Sorry no specific data other then this is something I have noticed over many years. I am not the only one who has noticed these to be true.

I am sure you know some things to be true without "DATA" to confirm what you know to be true!
Went to an auto auction and the majority of haulers there that night were Ford's with a mixture of Chevy's and Dodge's. Watched Shipping Wars on TV and they drove Ford's, Roy a Chevy and the girl went between all brands. The hotshot company right down the road from me runs all Chevy's, 6 of them, LLy's to be a fact.

Just got off I-81 a few hours ago, majority of campers being pulled by Ford's, then Chevy and then Dodge. Campground I lived in in NC, majority full timers Ford then Dodge. Campground I lived in in TN, majority Ford and then Chevy. Depending on time of year, Chevy outnumbered all.

Have been in campgrounds vacationing where Ford's outnumbered all brands, some where Chevy outnumbered all. Have never been in one where Dodge outnumbered all. Pretty much all I have seen mirrors the sales numbers posted, and that makes sense to me.

But, since you drove down I-5 and stayed in a couple of campgrounds that had more Dodge's, we won't go by sales figures. or any other samplings or surveys, etc. If you saw it, it must be true.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:01 PM   #52

We can debate this to death, I said "owner" operated hotshots and RV haulers.

Also a lot of tow trucks are going to RAM. Ambulances are going RAM or going Big with the Internationals.

This is my original statement. Notice how I said RAM GM being equal at the full timers parks.

Look around, most of the independently owned RV transporters and HotShotters drive RAM trucks, GM is behind RAM and Ford is a long way behind GM. Also look around at the full timers parks RAM and GM are fairly equal and ford is far behind. A few years ago GM and Ford were in opposite positions.

And this is how these debates usually turn out! I know what I have seen over many years camping and traveling south for the winter since 2005. I am correcting your mis statements about what I said and not twisting yours.

"But, since you drove down I-5 and stayed in a couple of campgrounds that had more Dodge's, we won't go by sales figures. or any other samplings or surveys, etc. If you saw it, it must be true".

I am not doubting what you have seen.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:09 PM   #53

In my "OLD" days,,, we called this "bench racing".... I've grown up being a Mopar guy,,, but after looking a couple weeks ago looking at new Ram trucks, (2500-3500 SRW) we just today went to Chevy and looked at the 2500 Duramax... I can't afford to spend that kind of bucks on a name,,, so I'm on the fence...... Sorry DAD,,, but I liked the Chevy more,,,,, so far....... This will pull a TT or 5th... and yes I'm a trucker for what its worth.... (not much I'm sure) ....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #54

There's a reason Ford outsells all other competitors and has for many years.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:31 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorfx View Post
There's a reason Ford outsells all other competitors and has for many years.
And why is that?
Old 09-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #56

I am on my second GM. Great trucks. Having said that though I will never buy another. I'm getting an HDT for towing. Trading 3500 for a Smart Car.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford