RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #1

Ford demos their electric F150

Found this on the Electrek website.

https://electrek.co/2019/07/23/ford-...w-train-carts/

radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 11:43 AM   #2

Oh yay... A product that I have no desire for or intention of ever buying. Yet they will continue to push this type of stuff onto the buying public. It's for our own good of course. sigh...

77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Oh yay... A product that I have no desire for or intention of ever buying. Yet they will continue to push this type of stuff onto the buying public. It's for our own good of course. sigh...
Well. I don’t think they are going to make you buy one. If someone likes the tesdrive they’ll buy it if not they’ll buy something else. But more and more regions of the world are voting to ban vehicles with tailpipe emmissions at a future date. Ford like other companies needs to react now so they need to have something to sell in these markets.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:56 AM   #4

Uh oh... didn't mean to offend. I personally loath electric vehicles of almost any kind. I don't even like my golf carts to be electric! lol
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Uh oh... didn't mean to offend. I personally loath electric vehicles of almost any kind. I don't even like my golf carts to be electric! lol
No offence taken. I think people should drive what they like and what suits their needs as long as it is within the law. We personally have our feet in both worlds. We went all electric on our personal vehicles about four years ago but still drive a diesel pusher for an RV.

Cheers.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #6

Quote:

You are facing a future of Electric vehicles whether you like it or not.

Motor Trend just did a head to head test between the BMW 3 seiries, the Genesis G70 (MT Car of the Year for 2019) and the Tesla 3.

The Tesla won hands down. Now these are CAR GUYS not Consumer Reports techs. I can tell you have not driven a really good EV. It is an eye opening experience.

Further Ford just invested 500 million dollars in a company called RIVIAN who is designing and manufaturing an all electric pick up.

EVERY MAJOR car maker in the US and in Europe has huge investment and considerable work under way into the production of EV's

Volkswagen says it will be ALL electric in 5 years.

And let me ask you this question: What is wrong with reducing our use of fossil fuels? With reducing emissions? With not having to pay for gas?

Experts are predicting that EV's will be the DOMINANT vehicle within ten years.

My suggestion to you is this: get some car magazines and auto industry press and read about these cars. You will find that the HARDEST group of folks to convince and the most unlikely to go for EV's, the Auto Press (like Motor Trend) have seen the light and realized these are great cars. Real "Drivers" cars.
BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:13 PM   #7

Quote:
You're welcome to drive what you want but it's market driven. If they were being "pushed" on to the buying public, they would stop selling everything gas powered and the government would have to force people to buy them. That's clearly not the case. People are welcome to buy what they want and when it makes sense they are buying electric cars. The major producers see this and offering products that meet buyers needs.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
You're welcome to drive what you want but it's market driven. If they were being "pushed" on to the buying public, they would stop selling everything gas powered and the government would have to force people to buy them. That's clearly not the case. People are welcome to buy what they want and when it makes sense they are buying electric cars. The major producers see this and offering products that meet buyers needs.

The note that this is market driven is dead on.

The generation of new drivers who are coming up behind us are going to buy Electric Vehicles. They get Global Warming. They do not have the same emotional attachment us old guys have for Fossil fuels. Even the oil companies see this coming and are positioning themselves to build stations that handle both. Car companies have seen this shift in perception by the younger generation for some time and are all engaged in designing self drive vehicles...

And yes these cars ( the best ones like the Tesla) are like driving a Ferrari in handling, acceleration, braking and speed, and the Big luxury Tesla sold more cars in the US than did the big three last year...

Now how many of you naysayers of EV's can say you have driven a Ferrari and a Tesla?

My guess is the Pickups will be just as exciting in their own way.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #9

I’m looking forward to the new Rivian truck. The front end is kind of ugly but it’s still better than the new Chevy HD.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:03 PM   #10

When I can travel 300-400 miles, refuel and resume travel in 15 minutes, and travel for another 300-400 miles, I'll consider it. I'll be dead before internal combustion is outlawed.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:09 PM   #11

This enthusiast are also the folks most likely to own many vehicles. If folks need one vehicle for do many tasks, the internal combustion is still King.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #12

[QUOTE=HDGoose;4878143]When I can travel 300-400 miles, refuel and resume travel in 15 minutes, and travel for another 300-400 miles, I'll consider it. I'll be dead before internal combustion is outlawed.[/QUOTE

You are describing a model 3 Tesla. V3 Supercharger average charge times expected to average 18 to 24 minutes. And you don’t have to stay with the pump. Go and get your coffee or walk your dog.

Even so, most people don’t travel like you unless they are wearing a diaper. Must stop for 10 or 15 for a stretch, a pee or a coffee every few hours. EV drivers just charge during these breaks.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
When I can travel 300-400 miles, refuel and resume travel in 15 minutes, and travel for another 300-400 miles, I'll consider it. I'll be dead before internal combustion is outlawed.

Most of the all electric vehicles out now from the Volvo to the Tesla can go more than 300 miles and recharge very quickly.

There is a big gap, a HUGE gap between the public Perception of where we are in EV design and performance and the reality. If you are a car guy like I am and have been since I was 13 or 14 and keep up and read constantly about this subject you might have a different view.

As for use...95% of car trips are less than 30 miles. The weighted average is 9.4 miles. Urban households average 8.5 miles, rural households average 12.1 miles.

As for road trips EV's are making cross country trips every day just fine.

As for outlawing the internal combustion engine. They won't have to. The market is shifting they will go the way of the buggy and it's whip...all on their own.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:29 PM   #14

BTFT is right on.

Electric and self driving cars/trucks are on the way.

There is technology available to link your bank account to your drivers license. There is also technology to measure your location and speed. So if caught speeding a withdrawal slip will be printed from your dash saying the state took money out of your account and 42% went to the local government and 58% went to the state.

That will stop speeding in it's track.

But a self driving car would not be speeding in the 1st place.

I am not sure electric cars are as green as people think. What is the pollution from making a battery and throwing a battery away. But even at that they are greener than burning fossil fuels

tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, ford