Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
Well, I had heard the Ford 6.0 motors had problems but thought it was because of the EGR coolers. I found a truck that had the EGR cooler removed, a Banks inner cooler installed, a cat back 5" exhaust installed and new brakes and alt. I thought I was in fine shape,

......It seems Ford really screwed up this motor and you need a lot of after market products to keep it running. Different coolant, a coolant filter, banjo bolts, blue spring, EGR delete kit, stronger head bolts and the list goes on and on.
First Ford did NOT design that engine. However if left at a stock power level it is probilbiy quite reliable and long lasting.
Your 240f oil temp and it impending doom on the engine is most likely due to its modifications.
Add on power parts are usually what require more parts for the long run.
Just how long you want one to last, is in direct corralation to power level.
This is why the 400HP OTR trucks are 800-1000 CID and they last 500K-1M miles.
How long do you think the new breed of 400HP 1 ton pickups are going to last??

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #16

its taking 10 pounds of go from a 5 pound motor and expecting it to perform. Just like a race motor which has very little longevity. The basic motor is well made.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
First Ford did NOT design that engine. However if left at a stock power level it is probilbiy quite reliable and long lasting.
Your 240f oil temp and it impending doom on the engine is most likely due to its modifications.
Add on power parts are usually what require more parts for the long run.
Just how long you want one to last, is in direct corralation to power level.
This is why the 400HP OTR trucks are 800-1000 CID and they last 500K-1M miles.
How long do you think the new breed of 400HP 1 ton pickups are going to last??
First, I'm educated and I know Ford did not make this motor. Second, you have no idea what you are talking about. I suggest you read up on it... EGR coolers and oil coolers are the cause of major problems and are a well documented fact. It has nothing to do with chips or modifying the engine.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
its taking 10 pounds of go from a 5 pound motor and expecting it to perform. Just like a race motor which has very little longevity. The basic motor is well made.
I'm not talking about racing the motor or adding chips. I'm talking about a stock motor that has a lot of problems. You can keep your head in the sand until it blows up or correct the flaws. It doesn't matter much to me either way...
Old 09-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
...... I'm talking about a stock motor that has a lot of problems. You can keep your head in the sand until it blows up or correct the flaws. It doesn't matter much to me either way...
Quote:
Well, I had heard the Ford 6.0 motors had problems but thought it was because of the EGR coolers. I found a truck that had the EGR cooler removed, a Banks inner cooler installed, a cat back 5" exhaust installed and new brakes and alt. I thought I was in fine shape...
Well which is it? a stock engine or one that been modded??
And you say I don't know what I'm talking about??
What amazes me is why there is some many people Think they can add 40% more HP and TQ and yet expect no drop in lifespan.
To them I say use you head.
Its like running a chainsaw on a mix or gasoline and nitro,...it will run really great for a short peroid of time.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #20

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Anyone who mods or chips their 6.0 engine should have their head examined. What most people don't realize is that Ford uprated this engine far beyond what International intended in order to compete in the horsepower wars. Add a chip or aggressive tune and you can quickly take the engine beyond its design limits. Then when you break the engine, if you are like many, you remove the chip and/or tuner, go back to the dealer if the engine warranty is still in effect and start bitching to Ford about the "piece of $#!+ 6.0 engine", when if you left things alone your truck would still be running. Ford isn't stupid, they can tell when a truck has been modified. Many of the so-called "problem engines" were made problem engines due to chipping, tuning, and general abuse. An abundance of casting sand left in the engine when International shipped the engine to Ford didn't help, either.

If you are still running Ford Gold coolant in your truck to 100,000 miles, you are rolling the dice. The silicates in the coolant come out of suspension and form a gelatinous goo. Throw in some loose casting sand and the oil cooler clogs up. Then the EGR cooler, starved for coolant, fails.

Tips for a long life from a stock 6.0:

Change the coolant every 50,000 miles. 100,000 miles is far too long on Ford Gold coolant.
Add a coolant filter from DieselSite. Change the coolant filter at every oil change.
Add a set of gauges to monitor oil and coolant temperature. The stock "gauges" are nothing more than glorified idiot lights.
Don't add chips or tuners for "more power".

110,000 miles and no issues on my 6.0.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #21

You are so right Richard. Thank you.

And to Mekanic, my truck has the Banks inner cooler, larger tubes and a larger exhaust All which helps the truck to breath better and run cooler not gain HP. I also added the Cat EL coolant and coolant filter so the oil cooler won't plug up as fast again...

Yesterday I met another Ford 6.0 owner and we started talking. He mentioned he wanted to do a few things to his motor. I asked him if he had a set of gauges and he said just the stock ones. I plugged in my scan gauge and his oil temp was 289 degrees! He said it couldn't be because his coolant temp gauge showed normal...

Sand in the casting from the factory, coolant that gels up and plugs up your coolers, Idiot lights, no oil temp gauge, no volt gauge and the coolant gauge starts to move north off normal only after 245 degrees.... quite reliable.... And Ford is sueing International for it's problems.....
Old 09-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #22

I own both engines the 6.0l I have 188,xxx and yes I had turbo injectors and oil cooler and egr cooler with I have removed and had to do a computer but after all that she runs mint I mean the cost of parts are not cheap at all I also did all the stuff my self. And 7.3l just injectors
Old 09-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #23

Well to update this thread.... I just got a call from my mechanic. Seems the oil cooler was shot as well as the turbo plugged up, 2 bad injectors, the alt pulley is bent (from the factory) and tearing up my belt, the coolant thermostat is cracked, and the coolant sending unit is not working right. He is a friend and has been working on diesels a long time. He told me all these things are "normal" for the 6.0 - 6.4 Fords and he fixes them everyday.

This truck had a lot of stuff done to it so it could breath better and run cooler. It should have all worked but didn't. There were no chips or tunes in it to up the HP or change the factory settings. So Mekanic so much for the reliability factor.... If you leave the EGR cooler in it and it goes, you put coolant into your oil and blow the motor that's the reason for the EGR delete. The EGR also Plugs up your turbo which I guess no one checked mine whan they did the EGR delete.

I hope after all this I get at least 100,000 more miles out of it. I also hope those of you who don't have custom gauges buy a ScanGauge or other unit to monitor your truck so you know what's going on and can fix it before it blows up the $12,500 motor.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #24

So, how many miles on your truck, and how long have you had it? Did you ever check the OASIS report on it?
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well I will go against the grain here. I've got an 06 6.0 that I bought new and put an Edge Juice with Attitude on it with only 5K miles. I set it on 5 and leave it there. I also installed a full MBRP dual exhaust system. I don't baby the truck and have yet to have a problem. I have been reading on Powerstroke.org about the problems of the 6.0 and have already installed a coolant filter. Next on the list is a complete flush and EGR delete. Right now on my scangauge my delta never exceeds 11 and on average is around 8.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
So, how many miles on your truck, and how long have you had it? Did you ever check the OASIS report on it?
Joe
There is 181,000 on it. I never got an oasis report but the truck was a lease for it's first 3 years so it must have been maintained well. The second owner put the Banks inner cooler on as well as the EGR delete and 5 inch exhaust. I have had the truck for a little over a month now and have put only around 200 miles on it.

So in the last 30 days it has gotten a trans flush, oil change, coolant change (to Cat-EL-1), coolant filter, new turbo, new oil cooler, new fuel regulator, new set of injectors, new alt. pulley and a new thermostat and belt.

I can't see all this going bad in just 1 year from lease end...
Old 09-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #27

Do yourself a favor and take the VIN to a Ford dealer and run it thru OASIS--see what they did in their shops. Probably need that background on it. Any Ford dealer should do it without a problem.

Or post it here, and someone will be able to run it for you.

That shop pic of the truck looks familiar?

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
......This truck had a lot of stuff done to it so it could breath better and run cooler. It should have all worked but didn't. There were no chips or tunes in it to up the HP or change the factory settings. So Mekanic so much for the reliability factor.... If you leave the EGR cooler in it and it goes, you put coolant into your oil and blow the motor that's the reason for the EGR delete. The EGR also Plugs up your turbo which I guess no one checked mine whan they did the EGR delete.
I agree those items would make it run cooler. and last longer. I remember you saying you bought with things allready installed on it. but I have NEVER seen anyone buy those type of items and install them on a diesel and then not turn up the fuel for more power. I worked for the nations largest cam company in the 90s as a techinal consultant so i have seem thousands of modded vehicles.
If it ran always with extra air it would smoke less and there would less soot in the exh side of the turbo, and EGR system.
I am positive someone in that trucks past turned it up and then probibly turned it back down before selling it.

I didn't mean to imply all mods are bad. I do think the parts on your truck now do sound like the ones to keep.

Tags
ford