Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #43
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 933
I second the Scangauge II. I have one and it's great. I hate to think your oil cooler is plugged up already but Ford suggests flushing the system AFTER installing the oil cooler which is insane because all that gunk goes right back into the new oil cooler!

In order to do it right you need to spend a whole day flushing your system and use restore to get rid of the gunk, put in Cat EL coolant and then put in a coolant filter to catch any left over. Run it around 500 miles, change the coolant filter and then put in a new oil cooler. I hope it's just your gauge...
__________________

__________________
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #44
ljr
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
I second the Scangauge II. I have one and it's great. I hate to think your oil cooler is plugged up already but Ford suggests flushing the system AFTER installing the oil cooler which is insane because all that gunk goes right back into the new oil cooler!

In order to do it right you need to spend a whole day flushing your system and use restore to get rid of the gunk, put in Cat EL coolant and then put in a coolant filter to catch any left over. Run it around 500 miles, change the coolant filter and then put in a new oil cooler. I hope it's just your gauge...
Just to level set, changing the oil in my lawnmower stretches my mechanical abilities to the limit. So I'm regurgitating what my Ford dealer's senior diesel tech, who has worked on my trucks for years, said when I called and asked. If anybody finds this upsetting please cuss at him.

He didn't think the oil temp going up and down within the 225-235 range while towing almost 15k was a problem. What he wants me to watch for is an upward trend that can't be explained by an increasing grade or something.

He also said the computer could set a code based on "coolant efficiency" which comes from several factors but its an over simplification to just look at the EOT/ECT delta. A 30 degree delta might indicate a problem or it might not. With no code and the oil temp varying within a range rather than steadily climbing, he didn't think I should be concerned.
__________________

__________________
ljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 933
The oil temps reaching 225 while towing really isn't a big concern but the water should be with in 15* of the oil temp or you do have a problem somewhere. If it's under warranty then I would demand to have it checked out and a new oil cooler put in or the problem solved. You may have a bad thermostat that stays open or bad gauges. Or your turbo oil return line is the older style that crimps and doesn't let the oil flow. Ford under warranty states that if the delta is over 15* they will replace the EGR cooler and the oil cooler no questions asked.

My truck had 245* oil temps and 194 water temps when I got it and no codes were set. Now that I did the EGR delete, replaced the turbo oil line, flushed the Ford coolant out and replaced it with Cat El, added a coolant filter, replaced the thermostat and put in a new oil cooler my delta is just 5 -8* even towing my 14,700 5th wheel. The highest oil temps I've seen are 219*. It's a shame we have to do Fords dirty work in order to have a reliable truck but that's the way it is. Dodge and Chevy also have their share of problems.

If you are going on a long trip I would make sure it is up to the task because if not you could blow your head gaskets and cook the motor which is a $15,000 big deal. Good luck my friend.
__________________
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #46
ljr
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
The oil temps reaching 225 while towing really isn't a big concern but the water should be with in 15* of the oil temp or you do have a problem somewhere. If it's under warranty then I would demand to have it checked out and a new oil cooler put in or the problem solved. You may have a bad thermostat that stays open or bad gauges. Or your turbo oil return line is the older style that crimps and doesn't let the oil flow. Ford under warranty states that if the delta is over 15* they will replace the EGR cooler and the oil cooler no questions asked.

My truck had 245* oil temps and 194 water temps when I got it and no codes were set. Now that I did the EGR delete, replaced the turbo oil line, flushed the Ford coolant out and replaced it with Cat El, added a coolant filter, replaced the thermostat and put in a new oil cooler my delta is just 5 -8* even towing my 14,700 5th wheel. The highest oil temps I've seen are 219*. It's a shame we have to do Fords dirty work in order to have a reliable truck but that's the way it is. Dodge and Chevy also have their share of problems.

If you are going on a long trip I would make sure it is up to the task because if not you could blow your head gaskets and cook the motor which is a $15,000 big deal. Good luck my friend.
No its not under warranty. I've already had the Oil and EGR coolers replaced even though the Ford dealer told me there was nothing wrong and I was wasting my money. I also added a filter, they kind of liked that idea. I had it flushed but it still has Ford coolant. I guess that leaves the thermostat. Despite the fact this truck has never let me down so far, I'm starting to hate it. I'll never get a new one if I keep pumping money into it like this.

This is all my high school guidance counselor's fault. I kept asking to take auto shop but he insisted that was silly because I was "college prep".
__________________
ljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #47
ljr
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljr View Post
No its not under warranty. I've already had the Oil and EGR coolers replaced even though the Ford dealer told me there was nothing wrong and I was wasting my money. I also added a filter, they kind of liked that idea. I had it flushed but it still has Ford coolant. I guess that leaves the thermostat. Despite the fact this truck has never let me down so far, I'm starting to hate it. I'll never get a new one if I keep pumping money into it like this.

This is all my high school guidance counselor's fault. I kept asking to take auto shop but he insisted that was silly because I was "college prep".
Very long story since this post but it turns out that my only problem was a defective Aeroforce Tech gauge. I have an Edge CS now and all is well.
__________________
ljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #48
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 95
Bullettproofdiesel.com they make a aftermarket air cooled oil cooler, and egr cooler, they have been installing these items in thousands of 6.0 trucks over the last 5 years, there product is sooo good they offer a lifetime warranty! So when your ready to fix your oil cooler and egr cooler one time the correct way. give them a call !


Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
Got tired of the very expensive class A repairs so decided to switch to a diesel dually and a 5th wheel. Bought a 2007 Ford F-350.

Well, I had heard the Ford 6.0 motors had problems but thought it was because of the EGR coolers. I found a truck that had the EGR cooler removed, a Banks inner cooler installed, a cat back 5" exhaust installed and new brakes and alt. I thought I was in fine shape,

I got on ford powerstroke forum and found out that the first thing you need is a Scan gauge II to see what is going on with your motor. I bought one. It showed my oil temps were reaching 240 degrees so a new oil cooler was needed or my head gaskets would go and so would the motor. That was the start. It seems Ford really screwed up this motor and you need a lot of after market products to keep it running. Different coolant, a coolant filter, banjo bolts, blue spring, EGR delete kit, stronger head bolts and the list goes on and on.

I suspect a lot of Ford owners don't know about this and just look at the stock gauges and think everything is ok. That is why so many are blowing up. If you own a Ford diesel 2003 - and up you owe it to yourself to check out the following forums and see what is going on...

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

PowerStrokeNation.com

It will take you weeks to find out about ICP, IPR, SCT, EOT, ECT, and the rest of the lingo but it may save you a lot of $$$....
__________________
aspeyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #49
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 46
Good thing I ran across this thread!

I started another thread about a 99 F350 7.3 diesel (non turbo) International engine. The replies I have received are that the truck is a dog and I seem to be a bit confused about what is considered a dog. I assume that this means it loses momentum going up hills. If this is the case, how bad could this be?

Someone mentioned that the truck would be screaming in second gear to the point that it would almost be ready to go into first gear, but it still did the job. By no means do we need to race up the hills to get to our destination.

If this is the case, what would I need to add to this truck to remedy the problem? I do not want to blow the engine or transmission up and may need to take some measures to assure this does not happen, if we do decide to purchase this truck.

Also, would I need to add a Trans or oil cooler (not sure if my terminology is correct) and would I need to add a turbo to this engine?

I have had a dually before when we towed our sailboat, but never ran into these issues I have been reading about on the forum.

Can anyone tell me what we should look for regarding diesel trucks?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have got some good advice so far, but am looking for more input from fellow F350 individuals.

Our other option which may be overkill, as mentioned in my other thread, would be to purchase an older Pete built with sleeper, which I can fabricate a flat bed on it to haul our toad, this would make my wife happy as she really does not want to get rid of her new car....so many questions.....

Below is an image of the truck, looks good and is in relative good shape, transmission has been rebuilt.....and the truck runs good. My buddy is in no hurry to sell it, so I have time to consider the purchase.


__________________
77 Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
BCooke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,523
You will find guys that will tell touting get the HD truck. If you are familiar with then you can understand why. You have better torque and a vehicle that should by itself be able to stop the trailer. I ended up with a 2011 F-350 diesel, but a nice Volvo converted to single axle....... sigh......
__________________

__________________
2017 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.