Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2011, 05:48 AM   #15

Thanks for all the input, the tire sidewall ratings do say 80psi, damn thats ALOT. I will measure the trailer to make sure its level, i think it is, several RV mechanics at the dealership where i bought the trailer helped me hitsh the trailer and look it over, because i thought the hitch in the truck was set too low. i will look into building my trucks rear axles suspension to a tougher degree, and get this truck and trailer weighed soon. not sure where i would take to get it weighed?
aspeyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:27 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Any truck stop with a CAT (or equivalent) scale, a farmer's co-op where they weigh in grain trucks, a gravel pit where they weigh trucks in and out, etc.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:34 AM   #17
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeyrer View Post
Thanks for all the input, the tire sidewall ratings do say 80psi, damn thats ALOT. I will measure the trailer to make sure its level, i think it is, several RV mechanics at the dealership where i bought the trailer helped me hitsh the trailer and look it over, because i thought the hitch in the truck was set too low. i will look into building my trucks rear axles suspension to a tougher degree, and get this truck and trailer weighed soon. not sure where i would take to get it weighed?
Look for a truck stop that has a CAT scale sign. It will cost a few bucks, and if it's not busy, you can do the trailer alone, the truck front and rear axles separately - and be prepared for a surprise there and the pin weight. The operator will (may?) help you.

80 pounds is fine - you will have a capacity probably of 3042 per tire where at 65, it will be in the 2500-2600 pound range(Goodyear and Tire Rack each have a chart, which, of course I can't find this morning, that gives capacity based on psig). I use 65 w/o my 5er and 80-85 with it attached.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Ditto what RustyJC said. I have a Demco Glide Ride pin box on my 5er and almost never feel any chucking. It's the real deal! Watch the video at Demco. Doing our Best to Provide You the Best - Glide Ride Video
KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #19

looks like a good product, i watched the video. Unfortunately i think this product would void the frame warranty on my new 5th wheel. It seems like anything anyone does to the stock pin box, voids the frame warranty. I was going to add a king pin extension, asked the manufacturer, they said it would void there warranty. Anybody want to buy a RV5 king pin extension, its new in the box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Guy View Post
Ditto what RustyJC said. I have a Demco Glide Ride pin box on my 5er and almost never feel any chucking. It's the real deal! Watch the video at Demco. Doing our Best to Provide You the Best - Glide Ride Video
Old 03-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
As long as the Demco Glide Rite is dimensionally identical to the OEM pin box "stinger", the manufacturer shouldn't have a problem. In fact, he should be tickled pink since the Glide Rite will reduce shock stresses imposed on the 5th wheel's pin box and frame attachment areas.

The heartburn the manufacturer had with the pin box extension that you mention is that it is NOT dimensionally equivalent to the OEM pin box "stinger" and increases the moment (torque loading) forces applied to the 5th wheel's pin box and forward frame attachment area - perhaps beyond design safety levels. In layman's terms, you're asking for permission to install a longer "cheater pipe" to apply torque to the pin box area. That's a whole different kettle of fish!!

Rusty
Old 03-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #21

Quote:
looks like a good product, i watched the video. Unfortunately i think this product would void the frame warranty on my new 5th wheel. It seems like anything anyone does to the stock pin box, voids the frame warranty. I was going to add a king pin extension, asked the manufacturer, they said it would void there warranty. Anybody want to buy a RV5 king pin extension, its new in the box?
A lot of members on "Turbo Diesel Register" recommend the Demco Glide to eliminate the for aft chucking. Which the Demco Glide and the MorRyde, both will do the same thing but with different parts in their design.
The TraiAir pin box does the same thing, but it also handles the up and down bouncing of the 5er in relation to the tow vehicle. Other wise called Porpoising.
All three are compatible with the frame of a 5er. They all make different pin boxes that will interchange with the stock pin box on the trailer. By un-bolting the old box and re-bolting on the new box.
Check out Tweety's site: http://tweetys.com/fifth-wheel-pin-boxes.aspx
On this site you pick out the style you want then put in the stock OEM pin box model number that is on your trailer. You will then get the interchangeable pin box that you need and should not cause any issues with the frame..
Jim W.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had a 04 F250 4x4 short bed with air bags, & it hauled better than an 08 F350 4x4 long bed without air bags. I would think that if you modified your suspension & balanced your load, you would be good to go.

Good Luck!
Dirtbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #23

i cant decide if i should do heavy duty leaf springs( to carry more load) or air bags. kinda funny, i had two f150 crew cab trucks, then i bought my f 250 crew cab 4 by 4 king ranch with 6.0 turbo diesel, now i have been looking at a f 350 dually crew cab, 4 by 4 turbo diesel. my wife says i have a disease? I looked ( online ) at a dealership about 45 minutes away, they had over 40 f-350 new and used, 1 f-450 crew cab, and 1 f-550 crew cab. I wish i had the rest of the day off work , just to go check out those trucks!
I wonder how much worse my fuel mileage would be with a f 350 crew cab 4 by 4 dually? Currently i am getting 12 to 13mpg with my f 250 in town. we averaged 10 to 12 pulling our 5th. i have gotten as high as 19mpg on the HWY not towing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbuster View Post
I had a 04 F250 4x4 short bed with air bags, & it hauled better than an 08 F350 4x4 long bed without air bags. I would think that if you modified your suspension & balanced your load, you would be good to go.

Good Luck!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #24

i test drove a 2008 fordf 350 crew cab, 4 by 4, long bed, dually yesterday. it had the 6.4 twin turbo diesel with the Lariat package. I think that test drive was enough for me to say, i don't want a dually
I think i will look at some heavy duty leaf srpings and or air bags.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
I think that test drive was enough for me to say, i don't want a dually.
IMHO, it's not a question of WANT, it's a question of NEED. There are many single rear wheel (SRW) trucks, especially 3/4 ton trucks, attempting to pull large 5th wheels that put the SRW trucks substantially over their GVWR or even their rear axle GAWR. Unlike "bumper pull" TTs, a 5th wheel transfers around 20% or more of its loaded weight to the truck as pin weight where it counts against the truck's GVWR.

This is one of the problems with using "manufacturer's trailer tow ratings" to size a truck/5th wheel combination. The manufacturer's trailer tow rating is calculated as the truck's GCWR minus its manufacturer's curb weight, the latter number being fictitiously low as it is established for a base truck (no options or accessories) with only a 150 lb. driver. Furthermore, it completely ignores the truck's GVWR until one gets to the fine print that states something like "None of the truck's other ratings are to be exceeded when towing." The manufacturer's objective is to get the highest possible manufacturer's trailer tow rating for sales/marketing purposes, but a trip to the scales with a loaded truck/5th wheel usually provides a sharp, painful dose of reality.

JM2CW.....YMMV.

Rusty
Old 03-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #26
CD

What are your specific complaints. If it was too hard of ride, it could be that they have max air in the tires which you won't need, at least in the duals. If you put heavy springs on your present truck, it will ride rougher. To get a truck that will haul heavy, your won't have a car ride.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #27

complaints on the 2008 f 350 dually, interior wasn't as nice as my truck, acceleration was pitiful, avg fuel mileage according to the info display on the dash was 7.5mpg, thats half of what my 2006 6.0turbo diesel gets in town. Duallys maybe great when your hauling a 5er, 85% of the year i won't be hauling anything, so its really hard to justify the extra truck, and extra fuel cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
What are your specific complaints. If it was too hard of ride, it could be that they have max air in the tires which you won't need, at least in the duals. If you put heavy springs on your present truck, it will ride rougher. To get a truck that will haul heavy, your won't have a car ride.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #28
CD

Quote:
complaints on the 2008 f 350 dually, interior wasn't as nice as my truck, acceleration was pitiful, avg fuel mileage according to the info display on the dash was 7.5mpg, thats half of what my 2006 6.0turbo diesel gets in town. Duallys maybe great when your hauling a 5er, 85% of the year i won't be hauling anything, so its really hard to justify the extra truck, and extra fuel cost.
It would seem to me that you looked at the wrong truck. I get 12/13 towing and 15/18 on the highway. As for acceleration mine will set you right back in your seat. I don't think anyone will questio that yor present truck can tow your trailer and get decent milage but can it handle/stop it in any situation?

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote