Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2019, 04:39 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ford F-350 death wobble

After hitting a bad pot hole, whenever I came to rough pavement, I had a terrible wobble at 55+, that would not stop until I braked down to 30 or so.
Alignment and wheel balance checked out ok, but mechanic said these trucks are known for the problem. At only 24k miles, I wonder if Ford will fix under warranty. Will know more on Monday visiting the Ford dealer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2019, 04:46 PM   #2

I had death wobble on my 2016 F250 just before hitting 38k miles while pulling my 38' 5th wheel. I took it to dealer in El Paso TX as it was the closest dealer to us at time as we are from Houston. They fixed the death wobble but said it was not covered under the 60 mile drive train warranty. I had a ford full extended warranty that did cover it less my deductible. I have 4k more miles on truck and no issues yet, but pretty sure it will return one of these days.

98 Ford F-150 4x4 Triton 5.4L
Whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:10 PM   #3

2018 or 2019 by any chance? We had this exact discussion on a low miles F350 in a mechanics forum I frequent. Seems the track bar tends to develop slack at the bushing ends and ANY freeplay tends to create this wobble on this design front end. Apparently one solution is adding a lot of positive caster when aligning them, even going out of spec a bit.

Good luck. I'd be PISSED if they didn't cover something like that even on base warranty.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:12 AM   #4

Do Fords use a steering stabilizer on their straight axle trucks?

There are several issue for steering wobble inputs. Some of these inputs can come from worn suspension components such as ball joints, tie rods and/or over size tires. Another item could be a steering stabilizer.

I have owned 4 vehicles with a straight axle design such as Jeeps and Dodge/Ram trucks! All 4 of them have used a steering stabilizer to help with road dampening inputs due to the road and or off road surfaces. When these start to wear out or are worn out you can get the symptom of steering wobble!

I have always replaced my stabilizers on my vehicles to eliminate the steering wobble feed back with excellent results!
Old 12-02-2019, 10:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Do Fords use a steering stabilizer on their straight axle trucks?

There are several issue for steering wobble inputs. Some of these inputs can come from worn suspension components such as ball joints, tie rods and/or over size tires. Another item could be a steering stabilizer.

I have owned 4 vehicles with a straight axle design such as Jeeps and Dodge/Ram trucks! All 4 of them have used a steering stabilizer to help with road dampening inputs due to the road and or off road surfaces. When these start to wear out or are worn out you can get the symptom of steering wobble!

I have always replaced my stabilizers on my vehicles to eliminate the steering wobble feed back with excellent results!
A stabilizer is just a bandaid for whatever the actual problem is. Ford does use a stabilizer but that wont fix a death wobble issue. It may cover it up temporarily but it wont fix the actual issue.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:08 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Part wear should not be a problem as the truck as only 24,000 miles. At the dealer now, and waiting for a diagnosis, repair, and hopefully covered by the warranty. But I miss my trouble free GMC 3500!
Old 12-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #7

There are aftermarket solutions to fix the problem. But I have extended warranty to 150k miles that does cover the repair. So I will not be putting any money in aftermarket parts until the warranty expires.

98 Ford F-150 4x4 Triton 5.4L
Whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #8

I have an '06 F 250 with 190K mile on it. The only complaint I have ever had about the truck is the wimpy front end. It's never developed the death wobble but it's always felt sub par.....
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:14 PM   #9
IC2

I fixed both the '06 F350 FX4 and the '11 F250 w/Fords heaviest 250 suspension with new shocks, Bilstein in the '06 and KYB in the '11. The Bilstein's were pretty rough riding and why the different brand. I also installed a new steering stabilizer in the '06 as well as new sway bar links and bushings in both. The death wobble - gone from both.

OEM Ford shocks, even the FX4 faux Rancho branded are pretty crappy with 25-30K miles if lucky. When I took the originals off the '06, I stood them in a corner. 3 of 4 collapsed on just the weight of the top cover- any gas or valving was gone. The '11 weren't quite as bad. The 06 had 90 K when traded, the '11 has 125K and no sign of wobble has returned after 80 K with the KYBs.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
I have an '06 F 250 with 190K mile on it. The only complaint I have ever had about the truck is the wimpy front end. It's never developed the death wobble but it's always felt sub par.....
Dana 60 is sub par? The next step up is going to be rockwells out of a 6x6. They use that dana 60 in the medium duty trucks with only a couple changes.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
A stabilizer is just a bandaid for whatever the actual problem is. Ford does use a stabilizer but that wont fix a death wobble issue. It may cover it up temporarily but it wont fix the actual issue.
Sounds like somebody who has owned a jeep or bronco

If only btbrv had a video on this we would be set
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobert View Post
Sounds like somebody who has owned a jeep or bronco

If only btbrv had a video on this we would be set
I had a 75 f250 for a long time. Over 20 years it had factory tires and steering, then 36s with manual steering and no stabilizer, then stock with manual steering after the tendonitis from steering 36s and no power steering, then 36s with power steering. Still no stabilizer and that truck never had any kind of wobble. Stabilizers have a use for sure, but fixing death wobble isnt it. Theres an actual problem that needs addressed.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just talked to the dealer...waiting for parts...I was told there is a "technical bulletin" on the problem and they are replacing steering stabilizer, track bar, and ball joints...under warranty.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesg View Post
Just talked to the dealer...waiting for parts...I was told there is a "technical bulletin" on the problem and they are replacing steering stabilizer, track bar, and ball joints...under warranty.
Good to hear, thats alot of parts.

Tags
ford