Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2014, 11:01 PM   #1

Ford F150 Ecoboost Brake Failures

I am currently looking at buying a 2014 Ford F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine. Today I've run across a Youtube video of a repair worth knowing about if you are an owner of one of these trucks. Have a look-
Ford F150 Ecoboost No Brakes First Thing In Morning- Here's Why - YouTube

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #2

Good Grief! Further evidence that this engine is an afterthought for a truck application and while platform/drivetrain sharing is good in some applications like a Camry/Lexus RX, I would not want it in my tow vehicle. Just my opinion.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The power brakes on my EcoBoosted F-150 work just fine at 47,000 miles, with about half of those mile towing. If they later stop working, I'll have my Ford tech fix them. It looks like the labor charge would be only an hour or less to R&R the vacuum pump, so only the cost of the pump would be a stumbling block for a pickup out of warranty.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:33 AM   #4

That's a pretty big "IF".
I would get that thing replaced ASAP... before the brakes stop working.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Good Grief! Further evidence that this engine is an afterthought for a truck application and while platform/drivetrain sharing is good in some applications like a Camry/Lexus RX, I would not want it in my tow vehicle. Just my opinion.

I guess you prolly ought to lump all the diesels in there as afterthoughts to truck applications.... Since nearly all diesels run unthrottled they create no manifold vacuum. If the vehicle they're in requires vacuum to operate switches, valves, doors, etc, then that vacuum has to be produced mechanically, ie, an external pump. Been that way from the beginning with all the diesel pickups. That's why most of the diesel pickups used hydraulic pressure from the power steering to augment the brake system so they did not exceed the output of the small vacuum pumps that had to run all the other systems on the vehicle.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
That's a pretty big "IF".
I would get that thing replaced ASAP... before the brakes stop working.
The brakes don't stop working just because the vacuum pump stops working. The normal vacuum produced by a gasoline engine will still be produced. Instead, the "power-assisted" brakes have a lot less power assist. But the brakes will still stop the vehicle if you mash harder on the brake pedal. So it's not dangerous for a strong driver who is awake, paying attention to his driving, and has more than two brain cells to rub together. But it's no fun, so I'd want to get the pump replaced ASAP after it shows indications of going south.

Plus that looked like the corrosion inside the pump was caused by high humidity = moisture in the pump. We don't have that problem out here in the desert, so much less chance of my vacuum pump going south. But I'll try to remember to ask my Service Manager if the vacuum pumps on EcoBoost engines has been a problem here.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
I guess you prolly ought to lump all the diesels in there as afterthoughts to truck applications.... Since nearly all diesels run unthrottled they create no manifold vacuum. If the vehicle they're in requires vacuum to operate switches, valves, doors, etc, then that vacuum has to be produced mechanically, ie, an external pump. Been that way from the beginning with all the diesel pickups. That's why most of the diesel pickups used hydraulic pressure from the power steering to augment the brake system so they did not exceed the output of the small vacuum pumps that had to run all the other systems on the vehicle.
Exactly ,all school buses as well .
Lets not get our female undergarments in a bunch.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #8

Thanks, Smoky Wren, for the added info. At least some of the braking power is still available. Now if i can just get that Ford sales guy to bring that price down.....
Old 11-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87_Fixr View Post
I am currently looking at buying a 2014 Ford F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine. Today I've run across a Youtube video of a repair worth knowing about if you are an owner of one of these trucks. Have a look-
Ford F150 Ecoboost No Brakes First Thing In Morning- Here's Why - YouTube
It's probably not a problem on a '14. On my '13 they relocated the vacuum pump to the rear of the passenger side cam and it mechanically driven by the cam.

Of course, Ford would never admit to a bad design which might be a warranty issue.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
I'm not really sure what your point is. All I was saying is that this engine and it's systems were not originally designed for truck duty and that this is a potentially dangerous situation.
I am also well aware of how Rudolf Diesel's engine and it's systems have opperated since long before the first diesel pickup truck.

Any engine (gas or diesel or other) with a turbo has manifold pressure most of the time, not vacuum, and most modern diesels (particularly any with an EGR) do, in fact, have a form of throttle body butterfly in the manifold that causes significant vacuum.
I know this because mine is in a box in the basement.

Tags
brake, ford