Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #1

Ford f150 heavy duty

I'm looking to buy a 2012 f150 with the heavy duty package. I'm just confused on which engine to get (5liter or ecoboost)? The extended 8 foot bed or the new crew cab 6 1/2 version. I do know, all I need is the 2 wheel truck. Does anyone have one? What type and your opinion could really help. Also what type of mileage are we talking about. Any opinions would be helpful. Thank you.
Jeffinthebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #2

According to the Ford website, the ecoboost engine has more HP and torque than any of their gas engines, even the V8. The F150 makes a fine tow vehicle IF you stay withing it's designated ratings. This weight calculator makes calculating what your particular vehicle will safely tow quite easy. For towing a 5th wheel there is a consideration none of the online calculators address. That is trailer frontal area, which is somewhat like towing a huge flat wall behind you, and makes the tow vehicle's engine work much harder than when towing the same weight travel trailer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #3

There has been a "ton" of articles on Ford's Ecoboost engine in the various enthusiast magazines and on their websites. Overall, Ecoboost has gotten rave reviews for both performance AND fuel mileage. In fact, Ford is even surprised at how well folks have accepted the V-6 Ecoboost engine in place of the traditional V-8.

You might want to do a google search and browse several of these articles. I have read a number of them online, and they would undoubtedly be of help to you.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:24 AM   #4

OK, I'm not a big Ford person, nor do I know a lot about the new crop of Gas engines, BUT back in the olden days when you squeezed more power out of a small engine that was produced by it's big brothers and sisters, they generally didn't have an extremely long life span. To gain all those extra horses generally means you are pushing everything to the Max. Just some idle thoughts from someone who once built up a 65 Mustang Gasser for use on the Drag Strip.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Hi
We have a 2012 F150 with HD tow package std cab 8 foot bed, 2wd with ecoboost motor. Its rated to handle 11,300 lbs. We have gooseneck 24' loaded to 12k and 5ver about 10k to really work the truck.
5 Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:42 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
dont know for sure, but the torque of the 5.0 is probably at a lower rpm. And as mhs4771 says, you are dealing with a small motor that has twin turbos on it to get the power up. may b more to go wrong especially considering you are going to tow with it.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm under the thought if you were to buy the vehicle new and plan to use it to tow, I would go ahead and get a Ford extended warranty. I bought one for my Toyota 4-Runner back in 05', and thank God I did. I have had some issues where added together the repairs over the 7 years would have cost me many times over the $1100 I spent for a 7/70 / $0 deductible Toyota warranty. Best $$ I ever spent.

Talked to a few mechanics, who said "towing" in general is going to be hard on "any" tow vehicle.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #8

I have the Eco boost in my sig...I find the towing ability outstanding....The torque is available at a lower rpm than the regular engines and it seems to like to work (and I'm coming from a diesel F350 ! ) I hope it is dependable long term but will find out in a few years! BTW I suspect that it will use just as much fuel as the other engines towing however will do a better job most of the time and use a little bit less fuel empty. If I were still building things I would have gone for the 8' box but the 6 1/2 works fine for us now. If you intend to tow a lot and anywhere near the 10,00 lb + mark I would opt for the 3.73 rear end and the trailer tow extendable mirrors (I missed this...). Otherwise the 3.331 or 3.55 would give better economy.
Groveite
Old 01-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
OK, I'm not a big Ford person, nor do I know a lot about the new crop of Gas engines, BUT back in the olden days when you squeezed more power out of a small engine that was produced by it's big brothers and sisters, they generally didn't have an extremely long life span. To gain all those extra horses generally means you are pushing everything to the Max. Just some idle thoughts from someone who once built up a 65 Mustang Gasser for use on the Drag Strip.
Thats probably true with the old ford model A's.