Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
Ford F250 SD 4x4 Wheel Hop

I call it wheel hop cuz I don't have a better term for it. New to me pickup. Traveling down the cr@ppy highways in Calif, unloaded, the rear wheels want to hop to the left when I hit even a minor pothole.

Any solutions.???

I do need to add airbags as the truck sags in the rear more than I want to accept. But, other than that, What might help this road bounce?

No problem when towing the 5er.. just unloaded. Never had the problem with my '00 F350 SD or my 05 Chev diesel 2500.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #2

Do you adjust your tire pressure when you're not towing ?
Old 08-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
No.. 80# rear; 60# front. That's what the sticker says. I'm sure I could do 60, 60.. but, don't think it's recommended.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #4

How many miles do your shock absorbers have on them? Many shocks don't have a 30K lifespan.

Have you had a wheel alignment recently? I had my first F250 alignment ($50) at 115K miles, and a bad tie rod end caused some minor tire cupping.

I installed a set of Air Ride air bags on my truck last week, and am running them with 11 lbs. of pressure. It firmed up the rear end, and I can actually feel the front suspension much better. I like them. Worst part about the job was figuring out how to assemble the air bags (many, many nuts and bolts) with a very poor, illegible instruction manual.

You should start at an alignment shop.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:15 AM   #5

Bilstien shocks and run 45 rear solo and 70 front loaded or solo. Weigh your rear axle loaded then compare to the load/inflation chart for your tire then add 5psi to what it says. Do these things and you will be amazed at how much better the ride is and how much longer the tires will last.

Try it out and report back.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:04 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Crewcab weighs 7500. When not loaded, I run 65 psi up front and 55 psi on the rear. My F350 bounces around when I forget to air it down from 80 psi, when finished with towing for awhile. It does make a difference. I have 'E-rated' tires. If you have higher rated tires, the ride will be rough. I, also, have Bilstein shocks.

Also, there is this product that's been around for awhile:
Sulastic. SA-06 Sulastic Shackle for Rear Axle
They are on my future modifications list.

Good luck,

Rich
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #7

You should ride in our Dodge doully. It rides horrible. Bounces all over place.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhite View Post
No.. 80# rear; 60# front. That's what the sticker says. I'm sure I could do 60, 60.. but, don't think it's recommended.
The 80 rear is on the sticker to support the full payload capacity of the truck. If it was me (and I do this on our fleet vehicles) get the front and rear weighed empty. Then weigh it fully loaded the way you have it. Once you have your numbers go to the tire manufacture website and determine the correct tire pressure per your circumstances. Over inflation and under inflation will actually decrease tire life. Having the pressures set to your circumstances will increase tire life and ride. For instances I manage over a fleet of medium duty truck ambulances. We run Michelin tires. Based on our running weight the tire pressures in the rear need to be 85 PSI while the tire side wall says a max of 120 and the tire sticker on the door plate says 120. I even had a Michelin rep stop by to go over all the tire basics with my guys so they are up to speed also.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford