Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2014, 03:45 PM   #1

Ford F250 Super Crew 4X2 6.2 gas. Good, Bad or Ugly?

Currently have a Ford E250 Econoline van. Love the vehicle and will miss all the enclosed space. Trailer weighs 7000 and may go up to 8500-9000 in the future, or not.
Want to stay with 3/4 ton because of added strength over 1/2 ton.
Is the gas engine a good choice because I sure don't need the diesel.
Also don't like the idea of the twin turbocharged engine in the F150 for longevity. I tend to keep vehicles at least 10 years.
Would love one of the new Transit vans if they could only tow anything.
Thanks!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #2

Someone is going to come along after my post and tell you the exact opposite of what I'm going to say. Now the 6.2 gas job will probably suit all of your needs and then some with a trailer 10000lbs and under, especially if you have already decided you will be happy with a gas truck.

A 2wd gas 3/4tn can be had at a very good price less than a loaded 1/2 ton. The simplicity and dependability of a gas truck along with a sale price $10k lower than a diesel is a huge incentive for someone WHO CAN SEE IT. The guy who pulls a 10k trailer a half dozen times a year can easily be happy with gas. If you fulltime or run in the mountains and pull a 42ft toy hauler yes you need a DRW diesel.

I would not rule out a diesel if it is within your budget as it is the better tow vehical, but I also would not listen to some of the guys who will tell you basically to "get a diesel or walk".
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #3

As someone who's currently got a 6.2 doing just what 2500HD said above, I concur with him completely.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:03 PM   #4

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Exactly the truck we'll be buying when this darned house building project finally gets done next year.

Fits our prospective needs for a TT puller, with a TT not to exceed GVWR of 8000-8500 pounds. Truck will also be a second vehicle after our Volvo Turbo wagon and ahead of my BMW R1100S. Not full timing, not pulling a mega fifth wheel, etc, etc. And like the OP, tend to keep vehicles a long time and not overly charmed by the F-150 EB. Last truck was with us for 16 years and 208,000 miles, and yes, it was a Ford...
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the feed back. I can afford a diesel but can't see any advantage for my situation. If my TT weighs 9K or less why waste the money. I want a truck that is more than capable but not way over capacity. The F250 is a big step up in durability compared to the F150. My understanding is that with the change to aluminum on the 2015 F150 that the brakes and transmission are being down graded in capacity. Hate to see that, bottom line is all that matters.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Is the gas engine a good choice because I sure don't need the diesel.
Good choice for what? The 6.2L gas engine in an F-250 is a good choice as long as you understand and accept the limitations. The biggest limitation is it will get horrid MPG (compared to a diesel) when pulling heavy. Another limitation is that the gasser cannot tow as heavy a trailer as the diesel. But if the TT you want to tow has GVWR less than about 12,000 pounds, the F-250 with 6.2L V8 gasser can be built with options to tow that trailer with no problems.

But if you order a new F-250 and you want the most-popular configuration of CrewCab 4x4 with 6.5' bed, then you need to order the 4.30 axle ratio along with the 6.2L engine. That will result in 22,000 pounds GCWR and 12,500 pounds tow rating for a TT or 14,800 pounds tow rating for a 5er. (The TT tow rating is limited by the weight capacity of the factory receiver. The 5er tow rating is overstated by a couple thousand pounds because of the way the truck manufacturers calculate tow rating.)

GCWR is an accurate engineered number, but the tow rating is overstated. On an F-250 gasser, the 10,000 pounds GVWR of the pickup is the limiter as to how much trailer you can tow without being overloaded. If you load the truck to about 8,300 pounds including driver, passengers, pets, toolbox, jacks, full tank of gas , hitch head for your weight-distributing hitch, normal options and maybe some campfire wood in the bed, that leaves you with 1,700 pounds for max hitch weight. For a TT with average hitch weight of 13%, that's a TT with the 12,500 tow rating that's restricted by the factory receiver.

For a small 5er with normal pin weight of 18%, that's a 5er with GVWR of up to 9,444 pounds. You won't find many 5ers with GVWR less than 10,000 pounds, but there are a few available.

Quote:
Also don't like the idea of the twin turbocharged engine in the F150 for longevity. I tend to keep vehicles at least 10 years.
Your choice, but Ford understands turbocharged engines and has lots of experience designing and building them. My previous Ford tow vehicle was a '99.5 F-250 turbocharged diesel. I kept it over 11 years and 197,000 miles, with absolutely no signs of any engine or turbocharger problems. So when Ford came out with the EcoBoost, I waited a bit over a year to be sure it wasn't going to be the typical new trouble-prone "American" engine, then ordered mine. I've had it almost three years of mostly-towing service, with not a hint of any engine or turbocharger problems.

Quote:
Would love one of the new Transit vans if they could only tow anything.
Yeah, they won't tow much. A wagon has a max tow rating of 5,000 pounds, which is a realistic max trailer weight of about 4,000 pounds. That's a decent pop-up folding tent trailer. A van has a max tow rating of 7,000 pounds, but that's with nothing behind the front seats . Add some seats, insulation and floor covering back there and you're down to a realistic max trailer weight of about 5,500 pounds. That's my Nomad Joey 19.5 TT with GVWR of 5,600 pounds and an actual wet and loaded gross trailer weight of 4,870 pounds. It's great for two old folks, but gets crowded in a hurry with more people in the trailer.

Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #7

I wouldn't touch any full-size 4WD US pick-up truck with a 10' pole. They're way too big, particularly crew-cab types, have difficult ingress/egress and burn enough fuel per mile to feed a small country and you can't find parking spaces big enough.

Maybe being brought up in a country where a Honda Civic is a "big family car" and where BMC Mini-based pick-ups are typical private trucks has an influence on my views.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #8

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
I wouldn't touch any full-size 4WD US pick-up truck with a 10' pole. They're way too big, particularly crew-cab types, have difficult ingress/egress and burn enough fuel per mile to feed a small country and you can't find parking spaces big enough.

Maybe being brought up in a country where a Honda Civic is a "big family car" and where BMC Mini-based pick-ups are typical private trucks has an influence on my views.
Whoa...a gent comes here looking for a bit of feedback, and you use his question to make caustic remarks? And such hyperbole, "enough fuel per mile to feed a small country..."! Really? My last big truck used about 20 cents worth of fuel per mile when hauling a load about size of a BMC Mini-based pick-up, so guess you are referring to a pretty small country. And if you can't find parking spaces big enough, I'm glad you're not driving a full size US built pick-up truck....

Peace out dude!
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post

Most foreigners seem to feel the same way you do. But if you haven't noticed we like our big-ole horses. Plus if you want to tow anything bigger than a pop up comfortably you are gonna need a 1/2,3/4, or 1ton truck.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:40 AM   #10

09 - you might want to look for a used F250 WITH A V10 engine. 2010 was the last year for the V10 in the F250. I'd look for a 2007-2010 to be sure it has the 5sp trans with tow/haul mode. Good Luck, Dave
Old 11-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #11

I have never seen a satisfied man pulling an RV with an F250 gas. But see many satisfied people towing with F150s. Just my observation.
Most gas F250 gas are usually used as company service trucks. They don't care about fuel mileage as long as it's trouble free and easy to maintain for drivers that don't care much. They pull small equipment trailers. Just look at construction sites along the highway. They are the bread and butter for Ford.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:02 PM   #12

If you can afford the diesel get it. You will get your money back and be alot happier when towing.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
If you can afford the diesel get it. You will get your money back and be alot happier when towing.
I'm on the edge on this decision. I haven't made the purchase yet because I don't want to make a big financial mistake. I will go out next week and test drive the F250 & the Ram 2500. I do understand the benefits of the diesel. Will let you know my feelings. Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2014, 11:55 PM   #14

The 2500 Ram has a 5 link airide rear suspenson that has a great ride with auto leveling bags when towing. Has a Cummins motor which is a very good and reliable motor. They know how to make a diesel engine that is all they make.

I have used thier 15 liter engines since 89 and. Had six of them and hardly spent a dime. Also 3 Dodges 2 with 5.9s and a current 6.7. Other then maintinence l have spent zero on them. I am not saying anything bad about the other brands just sharing my experiences with what l have owned.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, gas