Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2014, 03:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
I'm on the edge on this decision. I haven't made the purchase yet because I don't want to make a big financial mistake. I will go out next week and test drive the F250 & the Ram 2500. I do understand the benefits of the diesel. Will let you know my feelings. Happy Thanksgiving!
Pulling a 31 ft. cougar 28RLS (Loaded weight &all my fishing & camper gear probably puts me in the 7500 to 8000 lb. range .)
My 2012 2500 HD Dodge 5.7 Hemi 4x4 pulls this with no issues .
Gas mileage 10 to 12mpg depending on Head wind

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #16

Just came in from a trip yesterday and my 6.2 got 10 mpg at 60-65 mph in light hills bucking a pretty good wind pulling a 30' TT with a GCW of 15k. Not bad, the 6.0 GM it replaced got only about 7.5 on a similar run. The 6.2 did it using less gas and with greater ease and power to spare.

L.C.Gray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
I wouldn't touch any full-size 4WD US pick-up truck with a 10' pole. They're way too big, particularly crew-cab types, have difficult ingress/egress and burn enough fuel per mile to feed a small country and you can't find parking spaces big enough.

Maybe being brought up in a country where a Honda Civic is a "big family car" and where BMC Mini-based pick-ups are typical private trucks has an influence on my views.
I'm glad I was born and raised in the USA. I don't understand why people move here and then pick apart the country. Why move here if you don't like the freedom to do what you want. I like big trucks and would love to lay my hands on a used Hummer H1. Now that is an American SUV. We live in the best country in the world, the one that has done the most to help other countries around the world. The world is better for the acts of kindness that we do daily. Ebola is the latest example. We are proud of who we are and what we do and don't feel the need to apologize for our success which was earned through hard work, not government handouts.
I took out four trucks last week. An F150 XLT 3.5 EcoBoost. Great truck, good power and would suit my needs. Took out two F250's. One was XL the other XLT. I prefer the XL because it has rubber floors like my van. I use it like a truck not primarily a people hauler. I don't want to worry about having dirt on my shoes or boots when I'm out fishing, hunting, boating or RV'ing. I can add extras to spruce it up if I want. The advantage of the 250 is that it is a step up in all capabilities over the 150. I would rather have too much truck than just barely enough. I doubt if I will have a trailer over 9 or 10k. I drove the 250 diesel and it was a great truck, but too much for my requirements. That baby could pull! The bottom line is that I will go with the 250 XL with a couple appearance package upgrades and will keep it for 10 -12 years or longer like I usually do.
My sons 250 gasser gets about 17 -18 around town, he drives like a little old lady. Towing is an unknown. It has to get better than my 5.4 which averages 10 overall. Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Old 12-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #18

Harl, meet Menthol.... Menthol's maybe a lot like you describe. 2011 XL CCSB 4x4 6.2 Gas 6 spd Auto. She's pretty bare bones, ordered as a company truck with all the good stuff I like instead of the fluff.... Rubber mats, plain seats that I don't worry about getting dirty. Has 10k and tow packages, integrated brake controller, E-Locker, FX4 suspension and HD everything else. It does have a convenience groups that include tilt/tele, cruise, power windows, locks, mirrors and mirror heat. It also has a BW turnover hitch installed. Menthol ain't fancy or pretty, but she's very utilitarian and awfully affordable. I daily drive a newer Mustang and only use a pickup to haul or tow and that adds up to about 3,000 miles per year. I don't want to park 60k in the barn no more than I use it. Menthol stickered for 40k in 2011, I picked her up for just 15.

Like the first responder said.... a huge incentive for someone who can see it....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	80341  
Old 12-02-2014, 09:52 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The bottom line is that I will go with the 250 XL with a couple appearance package upgrades and will keep it for 10 -12 years or longer like I usually do.
Take your time in studying the F-250 Order Guide, then order your truck exactly the way you want it. Yeah, that will take 6 to 8 weeks order and ship time, but since you'll have it "forever", you'll be glad you ordered it exactly the way you want it.

For an F-250 XL, order those options you'd like to have that are std on an XLT. Be sure to order the Power Equipment Group that gives you power locks, mirrors, windows and other gizmos. The XL Value Pkg gives you cruise control and chrome bumpers and wheel covers. I'll keep the rubber floor covering, but I'll order the 40/20/40 cloth seats that are the same as the XLT seats. With those options the price is a coupla thousand less than an XLT. Order the fifth wheel prep pkg, even if you think you don't need it. It's a bargain compared to installing it aftermarket, and the 5er hitch that plugs into it is outstanding (though expensive).
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
Harl, meet Menthol.... Menthol's maybe a lot like you describe. 2011 XL CCSB 4x4 6.2 Gas 6 spd Auto. She's pretty bare bones, ordered as a company truck with all the good stuff I like instead of the fluff.... Rubber mats, plain seats that I don't worry about getting dirty. Has 10k and tow packages, integrated brake controller, E-Locker, FX4 suspension and HD everything else. It does have a convenience groups that include tilt/tele, cruise, power windows, locks, mirrors and mirror heat. It also has a BW turnover hitch installed. Menthol ain't fancy or pretty, but she's very utilitarian and awfully affordable. I daily drive a newer Mustang and only use a pickup to haul or tow and that adds up to about 3,000 miles per year. I don't want to park 60k in the barn no more than I use it. Menthol stickered for 40k in 2011, I picked her up for just 15.

Like the first responder said.... a huge incentive for someone who can see it....
I couldn't agree more. I have not driven my gas dually 50miles since I bought it. And it probably won't move far until May
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Take your time in studying the F-250 Order Guide, then order your truck exactly the way you want it. Yeah, that will take 6 to 8 weeks order and ship time, but since you'll have it "forever", you'll be glad you ordered it exactly the way you want it.

For an F-250 XL, order those options you'd like to have that are std on an XLT. Be sure to order the Power Equipment Group that gives you power locks, mirrors, windows and other gizmos. The XL Value Pkg gives you cruise control and chrome bumpers and wheel covers. I'll keep the rubber floor covering, but I'll order the 40/20/40 cloth seats that are the same as the XLT seats. With those options the price is a coupla thousand less than an XLT. Order the fifth wheel prep pkg, even if you think you don't need it. It's a bargain compared to installing it aftermarket, and the 5er hitch that plugs into it is outstanding (though expensive).
We are on the same page. I'm going with the power equipment group, the XL appearance package, heavy duty alternator, tailgate assist, running boards, trailer brake controller, cloth seats and bed liner. Not sure about the 3.73 E Locker. Is it a real advantage? The stock rear end on my van has been fine. Thanks for your input, I respect your opinion.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:05 AM   #22

I have tested the E Locker, but haven't really needed to deploy it yet. As far as I can tell the E Lock differential acts as a conventional limited slip on its own with the option of a full manual lock at will.

I've had a 4x4 with a rear locker on every truck I've had for the past 20+ years and wouldn't want to be without either.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #23

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I'm pretty impressed with the E- lock style axle option.

In my early Fire career operated 3/4T 4x4's, 1T dually's both 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive, 1 1/2T & 2 1/2T 4x4's, in mountain and desert regions of NW Nevada. True off roading in many instances...fires go where they want to go, LOL.

Recently tried my brother in laws Silverado 4x2 with the E-lock. With one back wheel completely off the ground crossing (on purpose) a ditch diagonally, that truck just kept moving forward. Not as well as a 4wd, but darned close.

Never intend to, and will consciously avoid, any situation that would require 4wd, but next truck will have E-locker. Limited slip axles never did it for me, and don't need the extra expense of buying/maintaining a 4wd rig.

Just sayin'! Cheers and good luck!
Old 12-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not sure about the 3.73 E Locker. Is it a real advantage?
Howdy, from near Knoxville TN.

I'm on the road without my order guide library, so I cannot easily see the optional axle ratios. But whichever ratio you order, be sure to include the electronic locking rear axle. That thing is wonderful compared to either limited slip or open axle.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:09 PM   #25

I'll be sure and do it! Thanks
Old 12-09-2014, 01:43 AM   #26

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
I'll be sure and do it! Thanks
And, don't leave home without it!

Cheers and best wishes for your future travels!

Bill J
Old 12-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #27

The only XL's I see on the road are in trucks used by construction companies, governments, utility companies, etc.

If you're so worried about getting your carpet dirty, you should be able to delete carpet in a XLT. The last XLT I ordered had colored rubber mats.

The XLT is just so much better looking without the rubber front end and with the "euro" headlights.

And in 10-11 years when you sell it, the XLT will sell much faster and at a higher price.

My SuperDuty Lariat crewcab is the last of the 7.3's, and it's been fantastic. But I agree about going gas if you're towing 10K or less. The 6.2 is a new generation, high tech motor and gets about 17 mpg unloaded on the road per TheDieselStop.com.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
The only XL's I see on the road are in trucks used by construction companies, governments, utility companies, etc.

If you're so worried about getting your carpet dirty, you should be able to delete carpet in a XLT. The last XLT I ordered had colored rubber mats.

The XLT is just so much better looking without the rubber front end and with the "euro" headlights.

And in 10-11 years when you sell it, the XLT will sell much faster and at a higher price.

My SuperDuty Lariat crewcab is the last of the 7.3's, and it's been fantastic. But I agree about going gas if you're towing 10K or less. The 6.2 is a new generation, high tech motor and gets about 17 mpg unloaded on the road per TheDieselStop.com.
I'm not so worried about getting the carpets dirty. I use my truck and my van as work tools. I keep them clean and serviced and I don't abuse them. I haul many different materials in both. Most trucks are used as cars and that is not what they were designed for. 5% of 4 wheelers go off road. Most people don't haul more then 1000 lbs in their beds.
I like to keep things simple. I would get a new truck with roll up windows if not for my wife. I'm even getting power mirrors, wow! There is an option that adds a chrome grille surround and chrome bumpers. I am not making a statement with this purchase other than I know what I want and I know what I can live without.

Tags
ford, gas