Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2018, 09:16 PM   #1

Ford F550 or RAM 5500? (Cab and Chassis)

I would like some opinions that are backed by recent real life experience as opposed to just the argument based on simply bias toward one brand or another. I will be towing a 40' New Horizons fifth wheel which loaded will probably weigh approximately 24k lbs. We'll see about that once the construction is complete. It's been under construction since mid-October. If I made my decision based upon my bias, I would buy a 2019 F550 since I drive a 2017 F450 now and have enjoyed the 450 very much. Unfortunately, the payload capacity on the 450 is inadequate for the New Horizons. Also, I've already beat the semi idea to death and that just won't work for our situation so a recommendation to go in that direction is a waste. I am quite well aware that from a pure overall towing and stopping perspective that a medium duty semi or bigger would be the ideal vehicle to tow this trailer with but it's not on the table. So, I will decide between a 2019 RAM 5500 or a 2019 Ford F550. There's one more "minor" complication.....unfortunately, the 2019 RAM 5500 is currently unavailable and no one seems to have any idea when one will be available. There is some issue with the current production plant in Mexico and moving the RAM 5500 build to a rebuilt and retooled plant in Michigan apparently is the plan but will take an undetermined amount of time. The time frame on availability for the RAM 5500 is therefore completely unknown. We will have a hauler bed put on which ever truck we end up with so that will involve further delay. My guess is that our New Horizons will be finished sometime in February and we really don't want to wait forever to get a truck. As I said my bias would be toward Ford but I had already decided on the RAM primarily for the following reasons: Proven Cummins engine (approx. 20 year track history) with Aisin transmission, better exhaust brake (that may be subjective), and the Cummins is easier to work on with more room for access. The Ford 550 towing numbers are actually slightly better, but not enough to make a difference. So I had already overcome my anti-RAM bias and decided to do the 5500 when I discovered that I can't get one even in an '18 if I want it in white with the Laramie package. However, a 2019 Ford F550 with Lariat trim can be ordered right now.The truck will have to be ordered as a cab and chassis. So anybody have any ideas to add? Have I completely overlooked important information, or am I off-base with my comparative reasoning? Thanks for any ideas or help.
shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2018, 09:37 PM   #2

Sounds like the Ford is a sure thing and Dodge a possibility with no date of build. Looks simple to me
Old 12-01-2018, 09:57 PM   #3

Good evening Shill; Just got finished reading your post. Very interesting subject. I have a Monaco motorhome and have never pulled a fifth wheel. The reason I am responding is that, I am a Ford guy. That being said, I also am always open to best rig for the use it will get. I have a personal friend who 3 years ago bought a Ram 5500 4X4 cab a chassis with the 6.7 Cummin's right off the lot. Has the heavy duty auto transmission in it. He was hauling pallets of steel on the custom bed he had on his previous 1 ton Chevrolet . He needed more payload and a higher towing capacity as the company he worked for wanted him to take bigger loads. He now has 225K on the Ram's clock. He had a custom bed made for the Ram. It has served him well. He has had his share of problems with some software upgrades to the engine. Also some DEF delivery problems for the Cummin's. I don't know if Ram has eliminated these problems with their newer trucks. Otherwise, just regular maintenance. I am not 100% sure on the 2019 Rams. Are they not a redesigned model for 2019, just like the new 1500 Rams. I also heard that Chrysler was going to move production back to the U.S from Mexico. I don't know where the 4500 and 5500 Rams are built, but I thought my friends Ram 5500 was built in Michigan. I can't say for sure. Also my friend has moved up to a medium Freightliner now because he still needed more capacity for deliveries. As for the Ford. Well, I like Ford trucks. I know that makes me bias. I am sure from your post that you know all the numbers for what you are going to get in that fifth wheel. Just thought I would pass along the info on the Ram. You might have to get a dart board for a decision. Have a great evening!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loydmeeks View Post
Sounds like the Ford is a sure thing and Dodge a possibility with no date of build. Looks simple to me
Loyd..... If only it was that simple. Granted, I don't want to be involved in a huge delay, particularly if RAM skips the 2019 model year or builds some carry over trucks as 2019's very late in the model year. But, this is a very large and important truck purchase to meet personally and I really don't want to feel like I've had to compromise if I can avoid it. If by the end of January or so, there is no clarification on the RAM status, then you will be correct and the decision will be simple.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Good evening Shill; Just got finished reading your post. Very interesting subject. I have a Monaco motorhome and have never pulled a fifth wheel. The reason I am responding is that, I am a Ford guy. That being said, I also am always open to best rig for the use it will get. I have a personal friend who 3 years ago bought a Ram 5500 4X4 cab a chassis with the 6.7 Cummin's right off the lot. Has the heavy duty auto transmission in it. He was hauling pallets of steel on the custom bed he had on his previous 1 ton Chevrolet . He needed more payload and a higher towing capacity as the company he worked for wanted him to take bigger loads. He now has 225K on the Ram's clock. He had a custom bed made for the Ram. It has served him well. He has had his share of problems with some software upgrades to the engine. Also some DEF delivery problems for the Cummin's. I don't know if Ram has eliminated these problems with their newer trucks. Otherwise, just regular maintenance. I am not 100% sure on the 2019 Rams. Are they not a redesigned model for 2019, just like the new 1500 Rams. I also heard that Chrysler was going to move production back to the U.S from Mexico. I don't know where the 4500 and 5500 Rams are built, but I thought my friends Ram 5500 was built in Michigan. I can't say for sure. Also my friend has moved up to a medium Freightliner now because he still needed more capacity for deliveries. As for the Ford. Well, I like Ford trucks. I know that makes me bias. I am sure from your post that you know all the numbers for what you are going to get in that fifth wheel. Just thought I would pass along the info on the Ram. You might have to get a dart board for a decision. Have a great evening!
8.3..... It's my understanding that the 5500's have been built in Mexico, not the US. Sounds like your friend made a very good choice with the RAM as long as the tow ratings were ok. As I said, I'm with you on the Fords but there is no question in my mind that RAM has attained a huge following in towing circles and I believe there are sound reasons for that aside from brand bias. Spending that kind of money based on a "dartboard" decision is not my style...... But I may have little choice. Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:45 PM   #6

There are 2018 Rams available, if you're interested.

https://www.bluebonnetchryslerdodge....996285bc57.htm
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:47 PM   #7

Ive got a ton of experience with both. None with buying, but the companies i work for use them to haul pressure control packages around the northeast. Fuel filters on the rams are a son of a gun to change. Theyre positioned so you cant get a strap wrench on them and its an awkward position to get much arm strength on. I never got the thing off, i walked away to get a crew driver and when i got back the guy helping me was holding it said he just turned it off by hand. He happens to be one of the strongest human beings ive ever met. The fords are way easier to get to. As far as driving them, theyre pretty much the same running gear with different sheet metal and engine. Get whichever one feels better as far as seats and interior layout. Personally i like the ford seats better. The suspension is pretty much nonexistent. We haul slightly more than your new horizons may weigh and no matter what the 5500/550 trucks are going to do a number on you. Im not sure what our gearing is either but the cummins tops out at about 85mph so i do know theyre low.
Gm is supposed to be reintroducing the topkick soon, have you looked into one of those?
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:59 PM   #8

I just took a look at the gm fleet site and it looks like their medium duty trucks will begin production late 2018. Theyve got a solid front axle like the fords and dodges and the duramax which has been a great motor. The 2 big plusses for the chevy are a tilt front end and available air suspension. Both of those would be really nice things to have.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
I just took a look at the gm fleet site and it looks like their medium duty trucks will begin production late 2018. Theyve got a solid front axle like the fords and dodges and the duramax which has been a great motor. The 2 big plusses for the chevy are a tilt front end and available air suspension. Both of those would be really nice things to have.
Thanks for the reply, Jshop. I'm actually having a Kelderman rear air suspension installed along with the haulerbed so the ride should be compensated for to some extent.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Ive got a ton of experience with both. None with buying, but the companies i work for use them to haul pressure control packages around the northeast. Fuel filters on the rams are a son of a gun to change. Theyre positioned so you cant get a strap wrench on them and its an awkward position to get much arm strength on. I never got the thing off, i walked away to get a crew driver and when i got back the guy helping me was holding it said he just turned it off by hand. He happens to be one of the strongest human beings ive ever met. The fords are way easier to get to. As far as driving them, theyre pretty much the same running gear with different sheet metal and engine. Get whichever one feels better as far as seats and interior layout. Personally i like the ford seats better. The suspension is pretty much nonexistent. We haul slightly more than your new horizons may weigh and no matter what the 5500/550 trucks are going to do a number on you. Im not sure what our gearing is either but the cummins tops out at about 85mph so i do know theyre low.
Gm is supposed to be reintroducing the topkick soon, have you looked into one of those?
Gearing on either will be 4.88 but I'm kinda used to that or close to it with the 4.30 in my f450. Not familiar with the topkick but will take a look. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:42 AM   #11

I'd look at the topkick for sure. The 5500 ram will work well. If looking price bed etc. Comparibly how about a year old or two Sport chassis. Quite a bit more truck, gvw, air ride all in one package. The topkick or ram are great I drive a topkick daily. But for new truck money that sport chassis is a 1/2 step up but no where near semi.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:10 AM   #12

When I was looking at buying a New Horizon a few years ago I looked at the Freightliner M2 Sportchassis. My wife at the time really liked that truck. It was a small MDT. But things change and I got a new wife and a house instead.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
There are 2018 Rams available, if you're interested.

https://www.bluebonnetchryslerdodge....996285bc57.htm

Thanks, but all they have is one black one and as I mentioned, I want white.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #14

The advantages you mention for the cummins are real. However you like your F450 so you will like the F550. I would not want the last truck from a closing production line. Nor the first truck from a new line. I would call a dodge dealer and do a nation wide search for a 2018 5500 in white and see what you come up with.

Tags
chassis, ford