Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post

Rusty
Nothing is really crazy. If 5000+ lb loaded car can stop itself from 90 mph, 10000 lb car with trailer can stop from 60 mph. Same amount of energy to be absorbed, as far as basic physics is concerned. It's not safe for everyday use, but if trailer brakes fail, the combination still can be stopped.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
My comment is directed to the situation where one tops a hill and finds traffic at a dead stop. Those situations will arise, and a 10,000 lb car and trailer rig is going to be in BIG trouble at 60 MPH with no trailer brakes. It is NOT going to stop in the same distance as the car alone, or the car with properly working trailer brakes.

Yes, the car will stop an unbraked trailer - eventually, if the brake pads don't melt.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #17

Sure, and it will be like stopping from 90 mph, more than twice longer distance and significantly longer thin with brakes. Brake pads should be able to do it definitely once, may be more. I did not try it
Old 09-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Please re-read the passage I quoted in post #13. No problems stopping an unbraked trailer? I'm sorry, but that's stretching things - even with the huge disc brakes on my 1 ton dually, stopping an unbraked 16,000 lb 5th wheel is NOT a "no problem" situation! It certainly wouldn't be for that 300 towing the Airstream, either.

Rusty
Old 09-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Please re-read the passage I quoted in post #13. No problems stopping an unbraked trailer? I'm sorry, but that's stretching things - even with the huge disc brakes on my 1 ton dually, stopping an unbraked 16,000 lb 5th wheel is NOT a "no problem" situation! It certainly wouldn't be for that 300 towing the Airstream, either.

Rusty

Agreed. My hobby trailer is around 1500LBS and my Jetski trailer is almost 2000 LBS. Even though my SUV's have great brakes, there is a noticeable distance in stopping. Even though not required for under 3500LBS, I have considered adding brakes to them. The jetski trailer would be difficult because it sees water but the 6X12 trailer would be easier. A buddy of mine had a Chevy 1500 with a similar trailer. He did a few panic stops and was not happy with the stopping difference with the trailer. He added trailer brakes and was much happier.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #20

The guy that writes those articles is a freakin' idiot. Not the first time he's come out with insane stuff like that. It just defies just about everything to do with weights and capacities in a tow vehicle and setting up a trailer for towing. No mention of the Taurus's towing capacities or WDH setup.

Ford says the Taurus SHO with 3.5l V6 ecoboost is not rated to tow and is otherwise limited to 1,000 lbs tow capacity and 100 lbs tongue wt. with an aftermarket hitch according to Ford's Towing Towing Selector.

It turns my stomach to think that some readers might think that's perfectly okay with a Taurus or similar vehicle and head out onto the roads endangering everyone.

I will never, ever again pick up a copy of that magazine.

Here's a link to the article: http://http://rvlifemag.dgtlpub.com/...2013-03-31.pdf
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
The guy that writes those articles is a freakin' idiot. Not the first time he's come out with insane stuff like that. It just defies just about everything to do with weights and capacities in a tow vehicle and setting up a trailer for towing. No mention of the Taurus's towing capacities or WDH setup.

Ford says the Taurus SHO with 3.5l V6 ecoboost is not rated to tow and is otherwise limited to 1,000 lbs tow capacity and 100 lbs tongue wt. with an aftermarket hitch according to Ford's Towing Towing Selector.

It turns my stomach to think that some readers might think that's perfectly okay with a Taurus or similar vehicle and head out onto the roads endangering everyone.

I will never, ever again pick up a copy of that magazine.

Here's a link to the article: http://http://rvlifemag.dgtlpub.com/...2013-03-31.pdf
.... and let's built a fence along Canadian border so his setups will not disturb the minds of G-d fearing Americans!!!
My E550 has zero tow rating with all its weight, power, torque and brakes. (BTW the ML on the picture is 2WD and rated only for 4600 lb) In Europe and elsewhere E class is good for 2 metric tons, up to 4600 lb. Why is the difference? American lawyers is only one reason and not a big one. The main reason is marketing. Mercedes is strictly luxury brand here and the value and prestige of it will definitely not increase if people will start towing ugly trailers with S class. Higher towing capacity is irrelevant in the marketplace for these vehicles.
Ford on the other hand will earn very little cash if any, by outfitting and certifying there sedans for towing. Big pickups is there real cash cow and they will do everything to force the customers to buy one.
The Ford Towing Guide is first of all advertisement and then information, quite limited and misleading, so they can promote tow capacities of there vehicles without mentioning the payload capacities.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGene7001 View Post
.... and let's built a fence along Canadian border so his setups will not disturb the minds of G-d fearing Americans!!!
You did notice that the poster that you quoted and aimed this response to is from British Columbia, right?

Quote:
The Ford Towing Guide is first of all advertisement and then information, quite limited and misleading, so they can promote tow capacities of there vehicles without mentioning the payload capacities.
Payload capacity is ultimately limited by the manufacturer's GVWR and GAWRs. That data can be found on the sticker on the driver's door jamb. One doesn't even need a towing guide for that.

Rusty
Old 09-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #23

Yes, I noticed it. Just kidding, aren't we allowed to have some fun??
What is more serious is that people buy trucks based on Towing Capacity, then they go and buy trailers based on Towing Capacity of these trucks. And only later they come home, hitch the things up, encounter sway our poor performance, go to the scales, and only then they start looking on the stickers and go to various forums. The next step is either limiting their travel range or going to the dealership to buy a bigger truck. and pay another $ 40k.
I am happy not to participate in this game.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Yes, I noticed it. Just kidding, aren't we allowed to have some fun??
What is more serious is that people buy trucks based on Towing Capacity, then they go and buy trailers based on Towing Capacity of these trucks. And only later they come home, hitch the things up, encounter sway our poor performance, go to the scales, and only then they start looking on the stickers and go to various forums. The next step is either limiting their travel range or going to the dealership to buy a bigger truck. and pay another $ 40k.
I am happy not to participate in this game.
That is their problem for not learning and researching before buying.
And same goes for trailer purchases.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #25

Quote:

Rusty
yes, i asked the age old question "what would happen if the trailer brakes failed, will this 300 be able to stop?" and the driver turned off the brake controller and jumped on the brakes and holy shlt it stopped just fine.
Im sure the braking distance was longer than with the trailer brakes working however much to my surprise, it came to a stop rather quickly without drama.
I cant find the link but back in the day, cam am rv tested a 94 Dodge Intrepid in a braking test against a 1500 Suburban and guess which one stopped shorter with AND without trailer brakes? yes the little Intrepid did.
The man behind the articles is not an idoit. He has been doing this everyday for over 43 years, testing hundreds of different combos and setups. There has been no accidents(i know of), has broken no laws and offers each of his setups for test drives to the public. Some of the setups are a little extreme however i still pat tha man on the back for going against the grain and not being fooled like sheep from all the automotive manafactures.
Some vehicles are over rated and yes some are even under rated.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #26

I know Ford is doing some great things with the Ecoboost engines. What couldn't be done before, is now possible. TT are also coming a long ways.
I may not get in a hurry to take it across county, but across the state, if it was set up correctly, I'd have no problem with.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #27

If it was me, I would not want the ecoboost in a Taurus for towing. I would not tow with a Taurus beyond the manufactures limit but thinking out loud here. The Taurus platform is pretty tight under the hood and pulling under a load will likely create a lot of high temps with lower air flow than normal under those loads. The standard NA 3.5L I would think I would like better do to lower exhaust heat. Like I said in another post, that engine and transmission is rated for up to 5K of towing in an Explorer. Not sure what the Ecoboost Explorer is rated at but the Explorer has better potential for more air flow to keep things under control for heat.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #28

Have to remember. The Taurus in question was not stock. Can Am heavily modifies those front wheel drive cars to tow. So yeah if you can pay 35k + for a Taurus, and then a few thousand more to make it tow. It will.

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford