Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #29
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 115
terryallan Have to remember. The Taurus in question was not stock. Can Am heavily modifies those front wheel drive cars to tow. So yeah if you can pay 35k + for a Taurus, and then a few thousand more to make it tow. It will.

They may put a transmission cooler, but I doubt high performance Taurus needs it. Sport sedans have cooling covered in almost all cases. What they do is typically include making a unique custom hitch receiver, or reinforcing the existing one. In essence it is a three-legged receiver with very strong extension of the 2' squared tube upward which is then welded to the rear suspension (or frame) crossbar, so the receiver is super-stiff and very effective in weight distribution setup; cant be even compared to any stock receiver, be it in truck or crossover; they guarantee 1200 lb of receiver carrying capacity, and Canam is A+ rated by BBB as long as I can remember.
In addition I got custom welded Eaz-lift head which was made specifically for my ML and Passport. The towbar is very short so rear overhang is the shortest possible; hitching is not a problem with backup camera. Plus I got Prodigy P2 hardwired, Mercedes dealers had no clue how to do it. Tension bars and sway bars were included as well. I paid $1700, unfortunately Canadian government did not return the sales tax.
My combination is almost fifth wheel-stable. 90% of 18 wheelers produce zero effects on me, i have no trouble passing them if I need. The other 10% cause very soft and gentle pull on the steering wheel, all I need to do is to hold it firmly in other not to get to close to the them. The truck sits absolutely level, like no weight is hanging on the tail.
But the most important asset from dealing with Canam and reading Andy's articles is acquired knowledge of towing and RVing in general.

Gene//////'16 Passport 2670 BH
'11 Mercedes ML 350 gas, Reinforced OEM hitch receiver,1000 lb Eaz-Lift with custom welded head, 2 sway control bars, P2, tst 507 trailer TPMS
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.