Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #15

Finally got to drive it yesterday...put a 150 miles on it ... the highest the dash gauge read was 19.2 MPG….. Driving no more than 65 MPH….. I thought that to be pretty good for being new.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #16

Sounds like a great ride. Let us know how the mileage works out if you pencil it--some of the computers are pretty optimistic.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #17

will certainly pencil it ...... some time before doing that .... 5th W not due tll almost Xmas
Old 11-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
You are doing it right...
I had the 5th wheel and wanted to tow with it right away, but pushed myself to break the truck in before towing the 5er...

I made a round of East texas scoping out some campgrounds from dfw to the arkansas line then down to Losing-annie and back ....

FORCED myself not to tow with it until I got 1000 miles on it

was excruciating !

and while the mpg WILL go down as you start driving it 'normally', it's still gets good mpg solo or towing !
Old 11-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #19

You will get 21 MPG on the road after the truck has a few miles. 12 MPG towing is typical, but I did get 14 for about 50 miles in Northern Michigan. Trees on both sides of the road, driving 45 MPH, and no grade. This is NOT TYPICAL, but it does show that Ford has their act together. I became friends of the Assistant Design Engineer on this engine. He told me many positive issues that Ford included in the design. No positive information was deleted because of cost.Ford had a BIG problem with the 6.4 engine (MPG) and the earlier 6.0 Navistart that were a disaster in their first few years. Ford either got it right on the 6.7 or they were out of the diesel business. They hired several diesel engineers from other truck companies to assist in the design process.The 6.7 and the new transmissions are both winner. Look for an 8 speed tranny in another few years.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #20

Hate to keep this thread going, but I finally got the Montana RL3100 3 days ago. I am new to a 4wd truck and towing. Arriving at my driveway looking up the steep curving hill, I had to make a decision on how to attack it towing the 11300 lb. trailer. With the different varying advice I had received from experienced drivers I decided to leave it in 2W drive with the 3.55 rear ratio and don’t stop on the accent. The grade about 150 yards long, curving and tree lined. One reason not to stop was that I have never backed up a trailer and it just got dark! Starting up, I had to go slow account of maybe dragging the rear of the 5ver. I was able to get a good run on it after that but as luck would have it I hung up spinning the rear wheels slightly even before the first curve. I looked at the APPS gauge on the dash and it indicated I was stopped on a 13 percent grade. As backing was not an option and I did not want to leave it there all night, I put it in 4WD High. To say I am impressed with this F350 is a gross understatement! This truck eased away from a dead stop on that steep incline up thru the first curve on up and thru another sharp turn to the top without the least whimper of spinning or strain. While I admit I am a novice at towing, I was very impressed considering the rear end ratio. At the top though, my luck ran out because of a couple of trees that were to close for comfort. Trying to back up in the woods at night on a curve would have been pressing my luck. So I left it there till morning. I had to wiggle-waggle a lot to get it the last 100 yards down to the pad. There was another hour of learning trial and error to back it in under cover and uncouple. Hopefully after the holidays I can take it out to learn how to back up!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have a 4x4 and don't plan to ever have one. If you know how to drive, you rarely need 4x4.

But from what I've read over the years, one of the big advantages of a 4x4 SuperDuty is the 4x4 low range in the transfer case. Put it in 4x4-low before dragging a trailer up any really-steep grades, or any time when backing a trailer, but especially when backing a trailer up a grade.

Another excellent use of 4x4-low is for dragging a heavy boat/trailer up a steep/wet/slick ramp. But that's another thread.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
I don't have a 4x4 and don't plan to ever have one. If you know how to drive, you rarely need 4x4.

But from what I've read over the years, one of the big advantages of a 4x4 SuperDuty is the 4x4 low range in the transfer case. Put it in 4x4-low before dragging a trailer up any really-steep grades, or any time when backing a trailer, but especially when backing a trailer up a grade.

Another excellent use of 4x4-low is for dragging a heavy boat/trailer up a steep/wet/slick ramp. But that's another thread.
There are many camp sites around here, both state and federal that I have had to use four wheel drive to back into. Usually just four high though. They are gravel approach lanes and you spin out pretty easy. Was on I forty last valentines day with another truck, me pulling a 24 foot enclosed and them a boat. Ran into snow up at Flagstaff and we both had to go to four high just to pull the grades. Many vehicles off in the ditches. Of the 12 four wheelers we have, 10 of them are 4X4. The other two are a restored 61 Ford Falcon and a 08 Vette. Couldn't order the Vette with all wheel drive or it would have it also!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #23

And the 10 4X4s are all Fords. Do they even make another brand?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Good advice on the 4x4 low...
use it ALL the time when hitching or moving around at slow speed....

Heck, I have to use 4x4 when getting my little 8x10 utility trailer out the back yard...
REALLY sandy/silty at the back of our lot and the big truck just sinks in...

oh.. on your tight turns just remember SWINGing out to the outside of the curve gives the 5er the most room to cut the corner...

you'll get the hang of it quickly enough... just keep practicing !

Tags
ford