Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #1

FORD TRANSMISSIONS in a 2012 F-350

Hi, I do not post much.I bought a new 5th wheel and now looking at Trucks..... I know the Allison transmission I had in a MH was outstanding when using the EXHAUST BRAKE. GMC are ok, but….. I just like the Ford 6.7 Diesel looks and it’s other packages. That said, anyone out there got any good or bad to say about the transmission Ford is now are currently using? Is it any good holding the speed when going down grade? Overheat? THANKS

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #2

I went from an "07 Duramax Chevy to my 2012 Ford F-350 and couldn't be happier. I prefer the Torqshift to the Allison actually. The Torqshift does have the built in grade braking when in tow/haul and the exhaust brake is always on in taul/haul. The Ford's exhaust brake works great if used as intended. It really kicks in at 3000 RPm and above. I use it going into NC and SC coming out of TN and it holds me at 50 MPH easily coming down the mountains, 7% grade, I have 14.5K fiver. Actually can go almost to slow. No heating issues on tranny going up or down hills. I like that when you tap the brake it will force a downshift immediately unlike the Chevy which required at least 2 or more braking efforts. Also like that you can leave tranny in automatic but still lock out gears if you want to without having to go into manual. Trailer brake controller works with electric, or electric/hydraulic and is nice. Brakes smooth at highway speeds or if in town with traffic. Also can set to memory for different trailers, the gain, and truck remembers setting for each trailer you have set up. I had 2 D'maxes before this Ford, both were good trucks, no problems, but no regrets with getting the Ford. Only issue is wife is tired of me saying how much I like the truck every time we drive it.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #3

The engine braking is not quite as aggressive as others other than that I like my 2011.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the info.... Hope I have as good luck..... We just signed for a F350 today
Old 11-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Love my 2012 F350 and the tranny. Does a great jog as far as I can tell. Put in tow/hauls, set the cruise and it takes care of things.
pretty well.

You are going to love that truck.

ken
Old 11-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Most of the Ford diesel nuts hang out on www.TheDieselStop.com. They don't have any problem telling you everything they don't like about their Ford diesel trucks. But they also don't have any problem bragging about the good things. Check them out, including their towing/hauling forum.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUCWV View Post
Thanks for the info.... Hope I have as good luck..... We just signed for a F350 today
Congrats on the new ride. Now when you look in the rear view mirror, this is what you will see. Of course pics are required of new trucks.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #8

picked up the new 350 lariat friday.... 18 miles to my garage ..... will have a big learning curve for all the features before really driving it.... just in that distance the dash gauge did not show any better than 9 mpg.... hopefully i will get 10 more than that after break in.... other stuff like a hitch to figure out now.....
Old 11-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #9

Quote:
9 mpg....
Old 11-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No WAY!

9 MPG? That can't be right. Somewhere in the manual there has to be a sentance about how to reset it. Who know how long it sat there idling, burning fuel and getting 0 MPG.

I have a 2001 F250 with a 7.3 and if I reset it once I get on the freeway (not towing) it will stabilize at 24-26 MPG at 75MPH. But what I'm actually getting is 18-20. We don't call it the mileage guesser for nothing.

When I was towing an 11,000# Montana I got 12 to 16 consistantly. Now I have a huge brick that gets just over 7. But the DW is happy....
Old 11-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #11

Yeah I know..... scary .... i got a lot to read about it...... among other things i am to busy now trying to clean the garage out so i can keep it covered....hope to drive it some this week end....
Old 11-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #12

I am getting 16 mpg around town and 19-20 on interstate unloaded. Pulling 14.5K fiver I am getting over 11 mpg and that is pulling through mountains of TN, NC and SC. If it happened to do a regen during your time going home, that would hurt your milage. I would reset and check, then hand calculate after next fill up. The electronic package is something else on these trucks, takes some time to learn all of the features it has to offer.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The new tranny is my favorite thing with my 2012 superduty....

it is an automatic, a manual, a tow haul, a 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 speed depending on which gears you lock out, it just WORKS !

the last 4 diesels I had were tuned to get the most out of the enigne/tranny....
Haven't felt the need to do this one with 400 hp and 800lbft stock

here ya go --> http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/

login here: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...VehicleDetails
with your vin number and you can get online manuals, tsb's, everything about YOUR particular truck....
Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2012 F-450. I am fairly confidant that the tranny is the same as the F-350. I think it works great. When I am towing in Tow/Haul mode and cruise control on, the truck does everything it can to maintain that speed. With cruise off, a tap of the brake will maintain that speed. A second tap will start slowing you down.

I also agree that if you want to know how something works, go to www.thedieselstop.com and someone will help you. There are many technicians as well as factory reps on there that will help you out.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford