Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #15

Trls not really that heavy. Any of the duallies would haul no problem. Driving a clas 8 trk is alot of work. I know because l have been doing it for 35 yrs.
If you go that route you are going to need a car once you get there another expense and added maintence.
You will also need a CDL to drive one which involves a phsyical.
Get a nice dually and it will do you fine put it in D and enjoy the drive.JMO

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
You will also need a CDL to drive one which involves a phsyical.
Not necessarily. If you are using it commercially, then a CDL is required, but for pulling a private camper, not needed. Most FL60 trucks are under CDL weights too.

1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:18 AM   #17

My class 8 is now a motorhome so none of the commercial experiences apply,I also 'daily drive' it on vacation so does the wife - not hard work - it is a bit tiresome wait for it to air up after it sits a few days.
The freedom line transmission make the wife look like a pro when she uses it.
cheaper
more comfortable
whats not to like?
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #18

My combined weight is near 29K. I tow a 36' MS with a 11 HO RAM Dually. In all weather and road conditions it is a rock solid towing experience.

The fact is the newer 350/3500's tow heavy loads so well many MDT's are being sold and going Dually.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
My combined weight is near 29K. I tow a 36' MS with a 11 HO RAM Dually. In all weather and road conditions it is a rock solid towing experience.

The fact is the newer 350/3500's tow heavy loads so well many MDT's are being sold and going Dually.
Wouldn't be interesting if just a few of the many would post just how they compare to each other.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post
Wouldn't be interesting if just a few of the many would post just how they compare to each other.
I tow a 20,000# Teton with a 2012 Durmax dually. It has power to spare. It is stable. The Teton weighs 2.5 times my truck. In an emergency situation I will loose and Teton win. If my brakes fail I am in trouble. I am over our factory rear wheel rating on my truck. Have air bags. We are within Chevy rating for tow though. I see an HDT in near future.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #21

Thanks Glennhttp://https://www.youtube.com/watch...JdABRH-gpylAmE

If I did this right it should linc to Jack Mayer's newest video of his Volvo 780 and the reasons for it over F550 and MTD's
Old 10-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #22

I used to drive fl-60 quite a lot at work. I hated the ones that had automatic transmissions in comparison to those that had a 6 speed manual simply because they slowed down so much. We would have about 20k on the back and going up hills would be slow process having to stop because the transmission temp would skyrocket. Let it cool for a long time then try it again. But they were easy trucks to drive. While I had a CDL, most of that towing was under the requirements to have a CDL.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:31 AM   #23

Kewi there is a difference between automatics and automated transmissions.Automated transmissions are 10,12,or 18 speed transmissions that are air shifted and clutched under computer control ,can't over heat like a trans with a torque converter.
No CDL required for what Jack is using.(motorhome plated)
Old 10-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post
Kewi there is a difference between automatics and automated transmissions.Automated transmissions are 10,12,or 18 speed transmissions that are air shifted and clutched under computer control ,can't over heat like a trans with a torque converter.
No CDL required for what Jack is using.(motorhome plated)

I'm just sharing my experience with the fl-60's that I have driven. If they have updated the transmissions that would be great.

Tags
freightliner