Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2016, 01:28 PM   #1

Fuel Filter Chev 2500 Diesel

My fuel filter on my Chev 2500 diesel tow vehicle needs to be replaced again. The first time I replace it, it was awful. I couldn't get the fuel filter to thread by hand. I had to get a 2X4 and leverage the filter onto the threads by placing the 2X4 on my front tire and pushing the fuel filter up onto the threads. I had to have my wife hold the 2X4 while I screwed in the filter. It was difficult keeping the filter straight and took about 2 hours before I could get it seated. Is this normal? Someone said they may have sold me the wrong filter. Anyone else change their fuel filter that may have this problem? I am thinking of taking it to the dealer to change because I don't want to go through this again.
graycarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #2

Did you get a WIX plastic filter. They are a pain. I use metal housing filters.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #3

I did mine last week.
Took about 8 min and 10-15 pumps on the primer.
I get the filters from dealership.
Make sure the old gasket comes off with the old filter...you might have 2 gaskets now...
boondockonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:14 PM   #4

Dear lord are you for real? I can imagine anything good about applying that kind of force... Clearly there was a problem.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:57 PM   #5

I've done mine twice, the last time was in a campground. Super easy. One, don't use a WIX fuel filter on a diesel. They allow too much dirt past them. The one to use is an actual AC Delco. Better yet is to get an adapter kit to run a Cat filter on it. The cat filter had the best filtering compared to any other filter. I was told all this by a diesel mechanic who does a ton of injectors. Don't skimp on the filter.
rrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:14 AM   #6

I'm going to try again. I'll post what happens
Old 03-04-2016, 07:24 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
graycarpet,
Boondockonly probably said it correctly, you have the center gasket doubled. this won't allow the filter to engage the threads without a lot of upward force. Also the tip about using only the AC Delco filters is a good one, If you read on any of the Duramax forums, this is what they tell you, unless you switch to the Cat filter w/adapter, which is just as good but a lot cheaper to change.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #8

The rubber seal in the middle of the filter (about 1" diameter) is a tight fit on the part it mates to. I lube it with a finger dipped in clean motor oil.

Line it up, then give it a strong shove up. You should feel when the seal slides over the other part. Until then the threads won't engage.

Try sticking your head into the wheel well, so you can get both hands on it and push harder. Try turning the steering wheel all the way (to the right I think) to make more room to reach in there. I leverage my arms on the top of the tire.

Or take the tire off for better access. I have never taken the tire off, but have thought it would make the filter easier to get on.

I have been using the AC Delco TP3012 filter.
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #9

Are you turning the filter in the right direction? You may need to get a longer calibrated 2x4.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.
Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:02 AM   #10

Ha Ha
Old 03-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #11

I replaced the fuel filter today. went on without a problem. I think the one I had was the wrong one for my vehicle. I think the pin that goes against the ball seal was too long thereby pushing the ball seal to the limit. I think I am lucky that it didn't pop the ball out of its socket. I think I purchased the filter from NAPA but don't have the receipt so not sure.

Thanks for everyone that responded.

Tags
diesel, fuel