Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Fueling a diesel F350 pulling a 5th wheel

I will be driving a F350 diesel pulling a 40ft 5th wheel. What can I expect when it comes to fueling. Will I fill at truck stops only or what? I have been driving a gas MH and not given diesel much thought. Thanks for any thoughts from those with experience.

P J Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
I recently switched from a gas Class A to my current setup. I prefer the trucks stop due to the easy access truck lanes. I'm enjoying my +5 mpg increase with plenty of hill climbing torque over the gasser.

2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 CTD, 45 gallon gravity tank, Cooper A/T3's, Bilstiens
2012 Arctic Fox 22H 300 watt Solar, Morningstar TS-45, 460 AH batteries, Xantrax 1000 watt PSW
Abnmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
The Flying J's have a RV pump area. You can use the truck pumps at the truck stops if your fuel filler will take the large hi speed nozzles at the truck pumps. If you can then just fill at low setting to keep the diesel from burping back. If you have a smaller sized filler there used to be a firm that sold replacement large sized filler necks. Some people enlarge theirs but understand that may possibly not be to legal depending on state/fed inspection
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
I also have a dually and 40' 5er. I only use truck stops because of length. My driving plan is to consult my GPS for a truck stop when we reach 1/2 tank. We always stop every hour or so for exercise anyway. A truck stop has room for our rig, room for walking and stretching etc.
Often the truck pump closest to the building has a auto nozzle, which is what we prefer. The large truck nozzles must be trickled into the tank to prevent splashing fuel. Flying J has RV lanes, built to accommodate us. They may not be the lowest price around, but IMO worth the extra pennies.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
Truck stops are good for access, but I don't like to maneuver around the big semis, and the lanes seem to always be filthy with overfill splash. So--I use the Rand-McNally WalMart Atlas and check for diesel stations at WM along the way--tho many of the WM stations have limited access for a 5th wheel setup; also check with gasbuddy.com ahead on my route for best fuel prices along the way. I have a 60 gal tank in my truck bed and it works real good for choosing where/when to refuel at the best prices. The tank also allows fueling at regular stations when not hitched up--can often save 10-20 cents/gal if I plan ahead, sometimes as much as 35-40 cents.
If you haven't towed much yet, you can expect 8-9 mpg, maybe 10--with a 38 gal tank, you need to be thinking ahead for fuel at the 1/2 full mark.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
Well, we have a 35' and a dually. We fuel where ever the price is good. Never found a station yet that posed a problem for either ingress or egress.

Truck stops w/RV islands?? Forget it. Theres too many inconsiderate clowns that pull into the RV islands, fuel, leave vehicle(s) there while the go inside, pay, shop, use restroom, and one time were actually eating. (I know cause I had them paged to move the damn thing).

Whats so hard about pulling forward and go into pay so the folks behind you can get fueled?

Further, if you pay attention, you'll find that these large stations are almost always priced way more then some neighborhood station just down the road.

No brainer.
Rick & Carolyn

'01 34'Carri-Lite, 5ver
h2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #7

I also prefer fueling at truck stops, but will fill up in a regular station if I absolutely have to. Just be aware of how the pumps are positioned. If you have to pull in facing the station, there may not be room for you to pull through and turn to get out. When looking for a station other than a truck stop I always look for one that has the pump lanes parallel with the store. If you do much long distance traveling consider a 60 gallon auxilary bed mounted tank.
2002 Jayco Eagle 300FSS Travel Trailer, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 w/Duramax, RDS 60 Gallon Toolbx/Tank Combo, Edge EZ, Boost Stick, Bilstein Shocks, Michelin 265 MS2, Isspro Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, ARE Topper, Honda EU3000
Roy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
I like truck stops because they are huge. However, I avoid the big names...Pilot, Loves, Flying J, etc. Most are crowded, dirty, more expensive than others and not user friendly...stand in line take your credit card in, leave it, refuel, stand in line to pay and get your card back. I look for big truck stops that sell lots of fuel, but are individually owned.
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
My 03 Chevy I could use the large nozzles, but had to go slow. The 06 I now have has a larger filler neck , so no problems with the large nozzles now. I would think all the companies have larger nozzles now.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
What you will find is the trailer has a different turning radious than the gasser. It has a different height, and the rear overhang is also different than the MH. So, what you need to do before entering into a stations lot is to know what the above mentioned measurments are for your vehicle and make the decision before making that turn into that lot! If the change of the pavement elevation between the street and the lot will make your trailer drag, you do not enter! same goes for the overhead clearance of where the pump is located. Pulling into to a lot where the other customers block your exit because of where they are parked may be an obstacle that you may not want to attempt.
Therefore the answer is, you need to know what your abilities are and do everything in your power to think about what will happen should you attempt that particular situation. Just remember, if you drive in the only way out may mean backing out! Do you want to back out into a busy street? Is there an escape route if I find myself in a position with problems? By going in there will "I" be the problem? Take the time to think before it occurs! And that is just what you are doing by asking the question here! The phrase to remember here is "Leave yourself an Out"

Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote