Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2018, 06:22 PM   #1

Full-timer Travel Trailer with Rented Tow Truck

We are looking at different setups for full-timing. A first thought is/was a class-C RV pulling a commuter car. As we walk around the RV stores, we see some nice interiors in the travel trailers and the fifth wheels. We like the idea of having a commuter car at camp rather than a towing truck. Since the plan would be to stay at each location from 3 to 24+ months (because of work assignments), it seems that the tow truck could be rented (enterprise trucks, etc.) to pull the trailer, while the other spouse drove the commuter car along with. Is this done? Of course if renting became unwieldy, a truck could be bought later, or some other change to the equipment could be made.
GoForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2018, 06:54 PM   #2

If those trucks have a hitch, they'll probably only have a 4 terminal trailer plug and not set up for trailer brakes....U.haul worked around that, as their trailers have surge brakes....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:10 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
https://www.enterprisetrucks.com/tru...-personal.html

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForth View Post
... it seems that the tow truck could be rented (enterprise trucks, etc.) to pull the trailer, while the other spouse drove the commuter car along with. Is this done?
Yes, it's done. But as Bob mentioned, you have to shop around to find a properly-equipped tow vehicle.

"Properly equipped" means it must have a 7-pin RV plug near the rear bumper, and wiring provision for installing an electric brake controller near the dash. It must also have a receiver hitch rated for more tongue weight (TW) than 15% of the maximum gross trailer weight of your trailer. A one-ton pickup would probably work best, but you could also "make do" with a box van. And if your full-timer RV trailer was small/light enough, you might even get by with a three/quarter ton pickup.

Before you commit to this strategy, do some shopping at truck rental outfits to see if a properly-equipped tow vehicle is available.

If you cannot find a properly-equipped rental van or pickup, then consider hiring a trailer moving business to move the trailer for you. If you don't move often, hiring the trailer moved would probably be less expensive than buying and maintaining a suitable and reliable tow vehicle.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:28 PM   #5

Call them and ask if they're set up to pull a travel trailer.....doubt it...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:53 PM   #6

Cool, I checked that Enterprise link. They have 3/4 ton trucks set up for towing travel travelers...I did not know that.

Funny, last year I saw a Enterprise F-150 and it did not have a hitch on it.

One thing that would be needed would be a WD and Sway Control hitch. Especially for a full time travel trailer since it is probably going to be a 30 plus footer.

As you think about different ways to go full time you will find every option has issues. There is no right simple way to go full time. If you walk around an RV park you will find all kinds of combinations. I will say if you are going to stay on the same place for 3 to 24 months I think you will want a trailer and not a motorized class 'C' or 'A'.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #7

You can have trailers moved very reasonably with Uship.

https://www.uship.com/
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:09 AM   #8

Thanks, All, for the ideas. I have been reading about the towing capabilities, costs, and trailer options. The "half-ton tow-able" seems like a sweet spot that manufacturers are trying to serve at the moment. Some folks are concerned that it would really stress out the tow vehicle - especially in the mountains. I am not sure one way or the other if I would want to have NO tow vehicle and would have to call up a mover for short moves around town. But there could be a hybrid idea where trailer and tow vehicle are bought as a half-ton-towable plan, and then a towing service could be called upon just for any over-mountain parts of the travel. I think that would allow a truck/trailer combo to compete cost-wise with a class-C option.

We really like these trailers that are called bunk houses, not because there are more than 2 of us, but because they could act as great storage areas, such as in a model like "2018 Open Range Ultra Lite 2950 BH", which might also be known as a "Highland Ridge UF2950BH 2018 Ultra Lite". I notice how the same layout might be found in different trims under different model/brand names.
GoForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:59 AM   #9

If you can keep the trailer to be half ton towable then you could use the truck as a daily driver. You can put a cap on the truck to add storage space if needed. Agree, the bunkhouse does offer a lot of storage in the bunks.

The trouble you will have is keeping the trailer half ton towable. Now the newest half ton trucks have increased capability with new half tons like the Chevy due on dealer lots in 5 or 6 months.

Now, the newest half ton trucks are really refined. Comfortable, quiet, capable with some really nice options. The Ford Eco-Boost 3.5 probably is the best towing engine. The 2019 Ram with air suspension probably the best ride. The new Chevy 1500 will be worth waiting for as it will also offer a great ride followed close buy the F-150.

I just test drove these trucks. All would be very easy to live with. One reason trucks sell twice as many units as cars.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #10

If your really only going to move occasionally or every year or so skip the motorhome - get the biggest 5th wheel you can 40'+. You cannot beat a 5th wheel for storage and spaciousness while stationary.

Buy a commuter car.

Skip the big $$ truck payment, insurance, and terrible city driving economy and either rent a Enterprise truck, or just find a RV moving company to move the RV for you when you need. Plenty of guys in Craigslist looking to move RVs.
It won't be cheap each time you do it.....but neither is the payment on a 1 ton diesel.....
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForth View Post
The "half-ton tow-able" seems like a sweet spot that manufacturers are trying to serve at the moment.
Most so-called half-ton towable TTs are not towable by most half-ton pickups without overloading the tow vehicle when the tow vehicle and trailer are loaded for a full-timer's move.

For example, my F-150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost engine is a great tow vehicle, with tow rating of 8,400 pounds. But it's slightly overloaded when towing my 19.6' (box length) TT that weighs only 4,870 pounds with tongue weight of 650 pounds when wet and loaded on the road. That's just me and DW, less than 60 pounds for our two dogs, toolbox full of tools and a camper shell.

Pulling power for climbing hills and mountain passes is not the problem. My F-150 can pull a TT that grosses 8,400 pounds without breathing hard. Payload capacity available for hitch weight is the problem.

There are half-ton pickups available that can tow a 7,000 pound BunkHouse TT without exceeding the payload capacity of the half-ton tow vehicle, but those are rare, not stocked by dealers, and probably not available from rental firms.

If you really want to pursue your dream of a half-ton pickup towing a 7k BunkHouse TT, without being overloaded, you can do it. But it requires advance planning. You'll probably have to order the half ton pickup with enough payload capacity to haul your stuff as well as the max tongue weight of the trailer without exceeding the payload capacity of the half-ton pickup. Ford F-150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost engine, heavy duty payload package (HDPP), and max tow package will fit the bill. Count on at least 8 weeks for order, build, and ship time of the new F-150. (I plan to order a new 2019 F-150 with those specs as soon as the order bank opens for 2019 F-150s.)

With that truck, don't try to tow a TT that weighs more than about 7,000 pounds when wet and loaded on the road, and you'll be a happy camper.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:05 PM   #12

Smokey's limit of 7,000lbs towing a wet trailer for a 1/2 ton truck is spot on. Maybe even a bit high as I use 6,500lb towing as "a comfortable" limit.

When looking for trucks look at the door sticker for occupant and cargo capacity. Every truck will have one and two trucks that look the same will have a different cargo capacity. You will see cargo capacities from 1,450lbs to 1,900lbs on 1/2 ton trucks. Smokey's special order 1/2 ton will be 2,500lbs or so lbs capacity.
(Smokey, correct me if I am wrong)

Now let's talk about 3/4 ton trucks.

Inside they are just as nice as 1/2 ton trucks but can carry a lot more. I would test drive a 3/4 ton truck to see if that would be a ride and milage you could live with. It is easy to find a gas powered 3/4 ton truck with a cargo capacity of over 2,800lbs. I saw a gas Ram 2500 with 3,300 lb capacity and my gas F-250 has 3,495 lb. capacity. To me, the real downside of a 3/4 ton truck is the milage.

1/2 ton trucks have an EPA milage sticker. 3/4 ton trucks do not. Expect 22ish mpg highway for a 1/2 ton truck and 16ish mpg highway for 3/4 ton.

Upside of a 3/4 ton truck is they do not cost much more than a 1/2 ton truck and can carry a lot more
Old 06-26-2018, 12:32 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Settle down folks. The OP isn't buying a tow vehicle. He's renting a tow vehicle. And the careful reader of rental contracts will note that most contracts exclude towing. The careful observer of rental vehicles will note that most rental 1/2 pickups don't even have a hitch installed (sure, hitches are standard equipment for retail purchasers, but you'd be amazed at what they'll change for a fleet buyer purchasing a few hundred units at a time...). The careful reader of the Enterprise truck rental site will also note that the truck rental places aren't going to let him get out the door with anything less than a 3/4 ton, once they find out he's towing a travel trailer.

The OP merely observed that trailers advertised as "half-ton towable" seem to be a sweet spot for size and pricing and options. So the OP is really considering buying a trailer marketed as "half-ton towable" and pulling it with a rented 3/4 ton or 1-ton pickup. Which is an excellent plan, although it's probably cheaper to simply have the trailer moved by a transport company.

Tags
tow, trailer, travel, travel trailer