Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #1

My question is directed primarily at fulltimers. I am wondering if you tow with a 4x4 and if you do, what caused you to make that choice and what has been your experience releted to needing it? I grew up and lived in WI all my 61 years and we never owned a 4x4. I grew up on a farm and my father was also in the Road Construction & Washed Sand & Gravel Business. He drove off road a lot and never wanted a 4x4 because of what he described as more problems and maintenance, but I never knew what those were.
We have been pulling a 5th wheel for 8 years & I have never needed one. I chose not to purchase one because of the $2500.00 cost, extra weight that reduced tow rating by 500 lbs., reduction in MPG, having to step up so much higher to enter the vehicle, extra 4" height of trailer needed to hook up and tow level compared to 4x2 & still maintain clearance between bed rails & trailer.
Have often wondered why they are so popular other than with people that really need them for ice fishing during rough winters, off roading to see what you can go through, beach driving etc.. The beach driving as a fulltimer is the only condition I cam imagine doing.
I will be considering another truck in the next few years and thought it would be good to find out if I've missed something about the need for one while fulltiming.

1999 Ford F-350 XLT Crew Cab SB, SRW, V-10, 4.30 Limited Slip, Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive, Borla Headers & Exhaust, K&N Filter, BF Goodrich Velvet Ride Shackles , Turbowing, Power Programer, Amsoil By-Pass Oil Filtering System.
LIKENIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #2

My question is directed primarily at fulltimers. I am wondering if you tow with a 4x4 and if you do, what caused you to make that choice and what has been your experience releted to needing it? I grew up and lived in WI all my 61 years and we never owned a 4x4. I grew up on a farm and my father was also in the Road Construction & Washed Sand & Gravel Business. He drove off road a lot and never wanted a 4x4 because of what he described as more problems and maintenance, but I never knew what those were.
We have been pulling a 5th wheel for 8 years & I have never needed one. I chose not to purchase one because of the $2500.00 cost, extra weight that reduced tow rating by 500 lbs., reduction in MPG, having to step up so much higher to enter the vehicle, extra 4" height of trailer needed to hook up and tow level compared to 4x2 & still maintain clearance between bed rails & trailer.
Have often wondered why they are so popular other than with people that really need them for ice fishing during rough winters, off roading to see what you can go through, beach driving etc.. The beach driving as a fulltimer is the only condition I cam imagine doing.
I will be considering another truck in the next few years and thought it would be good to find out if I've missed something about the need for one while fulltiming.

1999 Ford F-350 XLT Crew Cab SB, SRW, V-10, 4.30 Limited Slip, Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive, Borla Headers & Exhaust, K&N Filter, BF Goodrich Velvet Ride Shackles , Turbowing, Power Programer, Amsoil By-Pass Oil Filtering System.
LIKENIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:37 AM   #3

ya know ive been trying to decide what to do for a month now... ive got a 2002 Ford f-150
ive got a thor Glide Lite 5th wheel that weighs 5500 lbs, but we are thinking of getting a new trailer its only 22ft long, idlike to get a toy hauler to stick my Kawasaki in...
ive been thinking of getting a f-250 2006 4x4
because we have blm camping here (that means its free) camping but you have some narrow roads and steep hills, i have neven gottin stuck
but some of the hills were past my 2wheel drive
expectsation (spelling) i had a friend there with a 350 chevy with 6wheel drive to pull me up if he had too.. never did... but i didnt like having to go fast up a hill to make it to the top with out spinning my wheels...and i figure ill be going to cali. to the beaches....
im thinking about a diesel too... so im sitting here still thinking...
Old 01-08-2007, 05:45 PM   #4

New Horizons Owners Club
LikenIt,

I do not meet your requirement of currently being a fulltimer but I have just made a truck purchase decision for the purpose of fulltiming.

I have owned a 4X4 truck or SUV for the better part of 30 years. The last one was a truck I used to tow a pop-up and then later a 5th wheel.

Towing these two trailers and subsequently visiting/exploring the places we went with those rigs showed me that my preferences for what I do do not need a 4X4. It was only on the rare occasion that I used the 4X4 feature and even then it was not really necessary, I just did it for the heck of it.

One of the real turning points for me was my last repair. The non-serviceable bearings on the front spindles had to be replaced after only 60,000 miles and it cost me almost $1800. In fact, it seemed like no matter how hard I tried to do preventative maintenance, breaks happened and they were all expensive.

So, because I don't really put myself in 4-wheelin' situations, the cost of upkeep and the loss of fuel economy I decided to not get a 4X4 for my fulltime rig.
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #5

Having been in Wisconsin during the winter, though the weather can be pretty harsh, they really seem to spare no expense in plowing and sanding (salting) compared to Oregon.

With the heavy diesel in front, my truck is absolutely worthless in 2WD in snow and ice unless I have a ton of weight in the back. In 4x4 it is surprisingly sure footed and capable.

One summer I was towing my 5th wheel up a steep, loose, switchbacked mountain road. With my 5th wheel's pin weight I didn't figure I'd need 4x4, but it started spinning the back tires (in 1st or 2nd gear at pretty steady low speed). Putting it in 4x4 solved that. Otherwise I would have been backing down a very narrow road to turn around...

Growing up I drove a 2wd car, and getting up the 2 mile hill home was a balancing act in the winter: trying to carry enough speed around the corners to not get stuck in the steeper part after the turn... Once I got my first 4x4 (55 willys) I could drive up the hill as slowly (read safely) as I wanted and not worry about bogging down and getting stuck.

Though lifting the 5th wheel was a pain, and there is a milage penalty, I use the 4x4 on my pickup and wouldn't be without it. Also, you usually get the price of the option back when you sell (at least around here).

I guess the bottom line is that if you will use 4x4, I'd have it. If you don't use it, though, I could see where the lower profile and better milage of 2wd would be appealing.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #6

I am not a full timer but I do tow a trailer about 8000 miles per year. Many times on gravel roads with any grade you could not get the load moving again if you had to stop , Having said that every spring when I go up to Nh to get my 31' holiday rambler (7900 lbs dry) I cant get it out of its parking spot in the spring... 4 years running I have had to pulled up this 2% grade even with a 4x4. I can honestly say there has been more then a few camping sites that are gravel roads and slightly up hill into the camp site that without 4 wheel drive it would just spin the rear tires even with a locker in the rear end.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #7

Kind of a personal thing. If you never plan on camping in gravel or dirt camp sites, never plan on going outside of paved roads, then a 4X4 is definately a waste of time. But on the other hand if you do like camping in the back woods away from others, travel on back roads in bad weather or pull loads in akward situations then a 4X4 is a definate necessity.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:05 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
After 10+ years of towing 5th wheels with 2WD duallies, both in Ohio and Texas, I've never been in a situation where I needed 4WD, nor have I been stuck. It all depends where you intend to go and when - if you need (or even want) 4WD, by all means get it. It certainly isn't necessary for everyone that tows an RV, however.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #9

I think in the long run, its a preference thing.

I got my last 4x4 2500 stuck, with the (smaller) trailer attached, in a KOA campground.

I think it mostly comes down to what you do with it, when not moving park to park.

As you said - fulltiming, which means probably not dealing with much snow, or deadlines that dictate how far you need to go when things get miserable. So, realistically you will stay on the beaten path, and not force yourself into driving when the conditions are not favorable.

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #10

All good comments above, but I have a few other thoughts.

First, a 4x4 doesn't STOP any faster (infact longer in some cases) in slipery weather.

Secondly, when slowin, with a 4x4, one needs to be aware of the "Negative" tourqe placed on the front (read steering) wheels, which can and will cause them to lock when decelerating with just the the "Engine Braking".

Next, take a look on the next bad snow storm, who do you see in the ditchs? I'll bet most of them are 4x4 SUV's.

All that being said, I wouldn't be without one. It is my preference,and frankly rarely use it, but I do have it when I want/Need it. I do like the low range for tight manuvering. I too have had my truck and past trailer stuck to the frame. I blame that incident purely on the fact I have 4 wheel, since I wouldn't have gotten that far into the "Thick" If I wasn't depending on it.

Again, if you want it get it! But, the maintence is higher, the chances of getting into trouble may be increased, and you most likely will rarely use it. The truck will hd its value a bit better, if you maintain it.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #11

You have gotten all the answers. I personally have it because I want it.

05 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ
skooter driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:15 AM   #12

The decision is based solely on where you plan to camp? If you never plan on leaving the pavement, then you'll probably never have to put it in 4X4.

We've only been fulltiming for a little over a month now and have used our 4X4 twice. Once when we were camping in Northern Michigan and needed to get to some out of the way campground that only had sandy two-track leading to it, another time was in Virginia coming south through an ise storm where the road was covered in snow and we just kept sliding untill I switched into 4X4.

Once we head out West and the desert trails and out of the way campgrounds are more prevelant, we think we'll have made the right decision.

For a full timer who only comes to Florida and sits in a campground all winter, 4X4 is a waste of money.

Every Miles A Memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #13

I have a 4X4 because I want it!!!

Other reasons are, better resale, low range for backing trailer up, did I mention better resale? the 4X4 looks better, my personal preferance for a vehical, and last but not least, resale!

My father never had a 4X4 truck and never will and always got by, but he also never boondocked or towed his trailer onto our beach property to camp. I do camp on the beach and use the 4X4 once or twice a year to get the trailer through the sand.

You must get what makes sence to you. If your wallet allows and you think you might want/need 4X4, then get it.