Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #1

Future Truck purchase

We currently have a 26' travel trailer and are looking to the future to purchase a 39' 5th wheel. We have looked at and picked out an Dutchmen Infinity with a front end living room. So what kind of truck do we need? I am looking at either a Chevy 2500 or a 3500. But my question is long bed or short bed? I understand the turning radius etc but which is best for overall performance and gas mileage? Help............

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No doubt...the 3500 with dual rear wheels....pay no attention to what the salesman told you. It comes with an 8' bed.

Ken

Old 01-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #3

FWIW, We bought a 40' Grand Junction by Dutchmen. I tried twice towing it with a 2500 Dodge CTD. IT DOES NOT WORK! The truck was overloaded, I was nervous and tense all the time behind the wheel. I bought a Chevy Duramax 3500 dually, and towing once again was relaxing and fun.
The pin weight of a 15,500 GVW 5er was just too much for the SRW truck to handle safely. I could feel the truck rear being pushed sideways in a sharp corner by the 5er.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #4

I like fords,more power, better trany.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
I pull a 35' high profile 5vr. Tried initially to use a 2500HD gasser - didn't work. Upgraded to 3500HD Duramax/Allison and couldn't be happier. Stable ride (DRW), double the fuel mileage, no slowdown on hills, and engine brake for downhill.
& 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Toad
"Get It While You Can"
jwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I would recommend reading the Tow Vehicle Sizing and Weight Calculators thread at the top of this Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion forum. There are a number of useful tools there that will help you select enough truck to tow your 5th wheel. I suspect that, at a minimum, you'll need a 1-ton dually from any of the big 3 manufacturers - pick your preference.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #7

I can tell you that you do not need a duely, I have a one ton F 350' that I was pulling a 30 bumper pull trailer, and I had no issues what so ever.
In fact I was able to pass just about any thing I wanted on the road! Just runningin tow haul mode, and let the truck do what it's designed to do.
Most happy results, again I own a Ford, Power stroke, 2008, and it don't play nice, it pulls man. Plus I don't have to replace two extra tires$$$
MartyB,
Old 01-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
No doubt...the 3500 with dual rear wheels....pay no attention to what the salesman told you. It comes with an 8' bed.

Ken
Excellent advice. A 5th wheel of that size needs a dually.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #9

Marty, with due respect, pulling a travel trailer is much different than a fifth wheel trailer.The two cannot be compared when selecting a truck for towing. It is not about speed, it's about handling and capacity.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #10

I have had both! My opinion is a 5 th wheel, is much easier to pull than a bumper, simply due to the weight distribution being over the axel. Much less stress on the running gear with a 5 th wheel.
I am just saying! That's my call and I am sticken to it.
My neighbor has a 40 foot 5 th wheel, and pulls a 18 ft boat, tagged together with the very sane truck!
MartyB.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If so, he's significantly over his truck's GVWR. We don't recommend that to someone who has asked for input on selecting a truck - thus, the recommendation for a dually. If he chooses to run overweight, that's his choice to live with. It's a far different matter to recommend that OTHERS do it, however.

With a 5th wheel, it's not just how much weight the truck can PULL, it's also about how much weight it can CARRY. The 5th wheel can transfer 20% or more of its loaded weight to the truck as pin weight on the hitch. That's the advantage of the dually with its higher GVWR to CARRY this weight.

Rusty
Old 01-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyB View Post
I can tell you that you do not need a duely, I have a one ton F 350' that I was pulling a 30 bumper pull trailer, and I had no issues what so ever.
In fact I was able to pass just about any thing I wanted on the road! Just runningin tow haul mode, and let the truck do what it's designed to do.
Most happy results, again I own a Ford, Power stroke, 2008, and it don't play nice, it pulls man. Plus I don't have to replace two extra tires$$$
MartyB,
Marty, a 30' bumper pull is a LONG way from a 39' 5er. TT has a hitch weight of about 12% of the trailer weight, BUT a 5er is more like 20% of the trailer weight.

You need to read up on the information at the top of the towing section like Rusty recommended.

Ken
Old 01-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #13

Truck replies

Thank you to everyone in regards to help with our truck purchase. All the information has helped me in which way we are looking. Probably toward a dually. My only concern is parking the dually in a regular spot when are out camping, like at a grocery store etc. but that is something we will have to get used to. So back to my big question.. long bed vs short bed? Anymore input.. Thank you again for all your input...
Old 01-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
See my signature. With a long bed, you won't have an interference problem between the front of the 5th wheel and the rear of the cab on turns. With a short bed, you MAY - if so, you'll need a sliding hitch.

Rusty

Tags
purchase