Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #1

Game Changer?

Charge while being towed behind MH? Throw in a kitchen sink?

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/05/now...-behind-an-rv/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #2

It's amazing how many vehicles are going to battery power but, it's not saving the planet or fossil fuel . Electricity still needs to be produced not only to build the vehicle but to power it and that uses fuel, batteries need to be made and that uses fuel and the list goes on and on
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:11 PM   #3

But we all feel better, right?
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #4

I would think that folks with motor homes would be excited to not have to buy fuel for their toad on top of their house on wheels. It charges while being towed...400+ mile range...pretty cool is all I'm saying.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinntoMich View Post
No.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo View Post
Charge while being towed behind MH? Throw in a kitchen sink?

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/05/now...-behind-an-rv/
Sure, that energy will be coming from the tow vehicle ahead, IF it has the guts and endurance to do so. Might be difficult to calculate tow ratings with a "charging vehicle" tow.

I have the funny feeling that company will evaporate and just as "Ballard energy systems" hydrogen cell system was developed, we'll never see it done.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Sure, that energy will be coming from the tow vehicle ahead, IF it has the guts and endurance to do so. Might be difficult to calculate tow ratings with a "charging vehicle" tow.

I have the funny feeling that company will evaporate and just as "Ballard energy systems" hydrogen cell system was developed, we'll never see it done.
It might be called something different, but it's the future (probably not for me), but inevitable:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...ment-ford.html
Old 05-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That is cool! I'd like to see that chassis setup in a Rubicon....no axles, no transfer case, no transmission and a crap load of ground clearance and power!
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo View Post
It might be called something different, but it's the future (probably not for me), but inevitable:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...ment-ford.html
I've read that. I know a lot of makers are going the electric route and there's a reason many don't know about. The previous U.S. administration had set tight CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) ratings for all sellers of vehicles in the USA. Although HD trucks don't get thrown in the mix 1/2 ton trucks do. You need a lot of small vehicle sales to attain the CAFE standard that was set for less than a decade from now. Current admin has rolled that back but the wheels were set in motion a decade ago.

Bringing a few full EV in the mix adds tons of credits and raises the ratings substantially. They will all be pushing for EVs for this reason in North America.

In Europe, many cities are placing bans on internal combustion engines in certain downtown zones. Sales of ICE will be banned or severely restricted in some places, EVs are the only viable way out right now.

I didn't want folks to think a Rivian would miraculusly charge on its own while driving without burning some fuel or other energy from the tow vehicle.

I am all for electric cars, heck, my GF is even looking into one to replace her aging Camry. They don't fit all needs however.

The Rivian is uglier than a toad with extra warts. Ford will use their technology and make the brand disappear.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I've read that. I know a lot of makers are going the electric route and there's a reason many don't know about. The previous U.S. administration had set tight CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) ratings for all sellers of vehicles in the USA. Although HD trucks don't get thrown in the mix 1/2 ton trucks do. You need a lot of small vehicle sales to attain the CAFE standard that was set for less than a decade from now. Current admin has rolled that back but the wheels were set in motion a decade ago.

Bringing a few full EV in the mix adds tons of credits and raises the ratings substantially. They will all be pushing for EVs for this reason in North America.

In Europe, many cities are placing bans on internal combustion engines in certain downtown zones. Sales of ICE will be banned or severely restricted in some places, EVs are the only viable way out right now.

I didn't want folks to think a Rivian would miraculusly charge on its own while driving without burning some fuel or other energy from the tow vehicle.

I am all for electric cars, heck, my GF is even looking into one to replace her aging Camry. They don't fit all needs however.

The Rivian is uglier than a toad with extra warts. Ford will use their technology and make the brand disappear.
Agreed.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:49 PM   #11

Styling is different...I was nonplussed at first...but now growing on me. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. Give it time...you may change your mind too. I hated the early to mid 70’s Pontiacs with huge snouts. Now I kind of like them. Very different. Not cookie cutter.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #12

The laws of physics say it will take more energy to charge the toad than you will get. There are no freebies in nature.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinntoMich View Post