Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
I put over 200,000 on my 2005 GMC dually and never spent a cent on engine other than normal maintenance. It was in as good a shape and power as new also. No way gas will do that especially towing 17,000 lb camper.
Glad to hear of your good luck with your truck. There are a couple guys at work that suddenly experienced $6000.00 + hits to their Visa cards from the repair shops fixing head gaskets and other problems.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #16

How about a 6.2 litre eco-boost? If a 3.5 litre eco-boost can produce 420ft lbs. torque just think what a 6.2 could produce.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #17

Isn't the 3.5 eco-boost a V6? How about a 6 liter V6 with a turbo and big flywheel (grin).
Old 12-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I had not heard they were going to build bigger gas engines.

Could you point me to any articles on this subject?
Me too...have not heard of any new large displacement gas engines in development for on-road applications.

There are no currently produced gas engines that even fit the old term "big block" that was given to the gas engines over 400 cubic inches (7ish liters) from the past.

The last and only news I heard about a new big block gas engine was just a teaser from 11/2012 that Spartan was considering putting a 8.8L V8 from PSI into a new chassis named Extol:
Spartan Chassis
Nothing new since then...and PSI hasn't received EPA approval for that engine (that I know of).

IMHO, Ford is doing a good job with their RV line, but competition is a good thing...and not everyone wants a Diesel rig.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwithrow View Post
Glad to hear of your good luck with your truck. There are a couple guys at work that suddenly experienced $6000.00 + hits to their Visa cards from the repair shops fixing head gaskets and other problems.
Were they 6.0 Powerstroke? They had some serious problems early years. Also lots of people like to put huge programers on their trucks, boosting power 150-225 hp, and wonder why head gaskets pop. You can bring big power out of these diesels cheap but it costs in the long run.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #20

Well, I probably have diesel in my veins as a retired farmer. But i know one thing when it comes to power and torque as well as cost per mile or hour the diesel can not be beat. We replaced our old truck with a 2013 Ram 3500 dually this year and we pulled our 19500# 5th wheel 2500 mls through the Canadian Rockies averaging 9 mpg US with trailer and 18 mpg US cruising down the highway without trailer plus I have the physical mass and power to handle the beast uphill and downhill. What's holding you back with a gas engine freewheeling - 4 undersized trailer brake drums. Btw. this truck is the most fuel efficient I've seen. With proper and regular maintenance it is not hard to get several hundred thousand trouble free miles out of a diesel engine. But I completely understand that the initial investment can not be justified by everyone.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE
Old 12-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #21

If I didn't need a diesel I wouldn't have one. But I do and it is a towing beast. Great mpg also. Pulls 20,000 lbs like it was made to, oh it is.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 12-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Were they 6.0 Powermax? They had some serious problems early years. Also lots of people like to put huge programers on their trucks, boosting power 150-225 hp, and wonder why head gaskets pop. You can bring big power out of these diesels cheap but it costs in the long run.
Yes one guy had a 6.0 the other has a Duramax that had a glow plug quit and the shop twisted it off in the head. He said that the shop told him they could try to drill it out but if they had to pull the head it was going to be like 3 grand. They ended up fixing it without pulling the head but I guess it don't happen that way most of the time. this same guy with the Duramax said that he couldn't understand why so many guys want to program or exhaust their motors. He said his puts out all the power he'd ever need the way it comes from the factory. My sentiments too with my 8.1 and one of the reasons I went with a gasser was you don't know for sure what you are getting into when you buy used with all the gear heads chipping the diesels
for more power. Also but probably not as effective, my 8.1 and Allison has engine braking but I don't live or travel in the mountains.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #23

I have never heard of a glow plug problem with a Duramax. Not saying it can't happen but that is rare.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:44 PM   #24

Actually a free flowing exhaust benefits a diesel. It will last longer since it doesn't get as hot towing.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #25

Gas engines have no future.
In order to help the sales the EPA numbers have been boosted up and diesels been dropped.
BMW has done tests with all their models and beat the EPA fuel mileage by 38% to 52%.
VW has driven across the country breaking all kinds of fuel mileage records to gain publicity. They even hired a consulting firm to prove the EPA wrong. In the US there is a propaganda against diesel because the big 3 have miss the boat for proper engines and EU companies have to come at the rescue for miles per gallon objective.
The Diesels are the future and electric are trailing behind.
I bought 1 new diesel out of 7 and the used units have been great. The first one paid the 1st RV in fuel savings alone. I drove it for 8 years with very little repairs and it was 3 years old when I bought it.
I was in Louisiana and 2005 SD Ford gas sell for $5000 and 6.0 diesels sell for $16000. Never saw so many gas for sale before.
My truck is a 2005 and due to the bad reputation 7 years ago. I bought it used for $20000 and today I need as much to replace it with a 2 year younger 2007. So my truck barely cost me less then $1000 per year in depreciation and less then $800 in maintenance total aside from tires and oil changes. And its a 4 x 4.
I would buy a used diesel long before buying the same model gas vehicle. I usually look at 50% cost difference.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:11 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
While shipping for a new truck back in Oct, the Chevy salesman said there were more diesel regulations coming down for the 2017 model year, likely to another 5k to the price...any info on just what that might be?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:58 PM   #27

Don't know but my truck has a clean tailpipe. Don't understand how it could get much cleaner
Old 01-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
While shipping for a new truck back in Oct, the Chevy salesman said there were more diesel regulations coming down for the 2017 model year, likely to another 5k to the price...any info on just what that might be?
I didn't find any info on Tier 5, just Tier 4 Final which is supposed to be happening now. The major difference between Tier 4 Interim and Final is that NOx emissions are to drop from 2.0 grams per kilowatt-hour to 0.4 g/kW-hr.

I did find some new 2017 CARB regulations that apply to non-diesel vehicles: CARB Approves New Emissions Rules for MY-2017 Through 2025 - Top News - Legislative - Top News - Automotive Fleet

Tags
gas