Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Gas or diesel

We need a bigger truck to haul or 32 ft Rockwell I think our GMC 1500 is not big enough to go out west.So any thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
I'm towing a Surveyor SV-264 with a 5.0 F-150. It is adequate, but I'd rather have a 3/4 ton diesel. If you are going once or twice and not towing far, the 1/2 ton gas is fine. If you're towing a lot and long distances, go diesel...

Just my $.02 worth...

Old 04-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #3

Since you already know how the 1500 gas engines tows that will give you some indication how hard the engine will work if you buy a 3/4 ton truck that will weigh 2,000 lbs. more than a half ton truck. As you head west as you gain elevation a gas engine will lose power. 3% for every 1,000 feet elevation.

A 32' trailer is big enough for a 3/4 ton diesel. But how much longer before you want a 5th wheel? IMHO a diesel is the only way to go. I would buy a SRW 1 ton truck since it will be the same as a 3/4 ton buy will carry a little more weight.

Good luck
Old 04-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks guys I'm thinking maybe 1ton is the way to go and diesel yup.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #5

I went from a 10 F150 5.4 to a Ram 2500 CTD, both 3.73's, towing 7300lbs. 3/4 ton and the diesel is awesome. The stability and the overall control the 3/4 has over a 1/2 ton can only be experienced to believe. The diesel is the best way to go also, much more relaxed towing. Better mpg when towing also. Maybe a little more on maintinence but like anything else you can't have one w/o the ohther. I thimk you're wise in looking at 1tons if your definately going to step up from a 1/2 ton. I wish I would've bought a 1 ton now, but with the Ram the 2500 is really a softer sprung 3500. So mechanicly I can tow what a 3500 can but the payload is limited by the door sticker.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks seems like Dodge Ram is the way I'm thinking yup.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #7

I am waiting to see the new 2014 beefed up heavy duty Rams with a better high strength frame. I want to see how the 3500 SRW will be rated as far as cargo weight.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #8

Diesel really is the only way to go when your using the truck to tow, they dont have to work nearly as hard as a gas engine does, and the mpg difference is night and day. I went with a ford just because i think the truck as a whole is built a little better than the dodges but the cummins is a beast of an engine. if you do go with a dodge if its a used one be sure to pay speacial attention to the tranny (if its an auto) and the front end, those tend to be the weak links.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the info nice to hear from campers that know this stuff and like to help out fellow campers.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #10

All three, Ford, Ram, Chevy make very nice HD trucks. I almost bought a Ram with the Ram Box. You know, with the nice storage along the sides of the bed. Wow - those are nice if camping.

But I also liked the Ford step in the tailgate. Now that is also very handy. The Ford rearview camera was also better.

Chevy probably has the best combination of ride, tough frame and powerful engine.

The trucks will cost a lot but you also get a lot. I would look at all three to see which one you like the best. Warning, you will like all 3.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
I think you are right they all great stuff on them just have to decide which one I want yup.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #12

you will probably see some great deals on 6.0L fords
search the 6.0L web sights before you get one of these great deals.
mileage
I pulled my 27' 10,000 lb +or- a few Phx. to Parker Az. and back, 14.7 mpg hand figured. worth my diesel investment
Old 04-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #13

A diesel 1 ton is definitely the way to go. Spend some time looking at the diesel truck forums for each brand and see what owners are saying about their trucks before making your purchase. If buying used then make sure they've got maintenance records showing regular oil and fuel filter changes. You'll love the power in the hills and the exhaust brake coming down the other side.
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #14

What I find strange is that when comparing the 2013 F250 and F350 both SRW, 355 rear end, they have the same CGVW of 23500 and 5er tow rating of 15900.