Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #1

Gas or Diesel.

Currently I have a Toyota Tundra, 38' 8000 lb. TT and a pro pride hitch. With this set up I have had no towing issues, but I pull only about 1000 miles a year in mostly flat areas of NC, SC and Va. It is about time for me to get a new truck and while I love the Tundra, I am thinking of upgrading with either the Silverado or Ford F-250. Ram and GMC fans can weigh in but have pretty much decided .i want to expand my visitations as I am getting older and want to know about pulling through mountains. I will still be keeping it east of the Mississippi but would like your opinion on the whether I should buy a gas or Diesel engine and what difference it makes. Weigh in on any issue I have not thought of. Thank you for your comments.
Encpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #2

I have my first diesel pickup (Ram dually) and have determined that as long as I am ever towing anything I will never go back to gas. I love this truck, both as a tow machine and as a daily driver.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #3

I would not limit yourself to just one make until you have test driven all big three makes of trucks. I was a Chevy /GMC person until I test drove my 2008 Ram Mega Cab with the 6.7L Cummins engine in this truck. I am now a Ram fan totally. My truck has the 6 speed 68RFE auto transmission with tow/haul mode and the exhaust brake. I have towed this truck out east and west pulling a 34RL Cedar Creek with ease through the mountains.

I would try and test drive a 1 ton SRW Ram with the 6.7L Cummins and the AISIN transmission either in the Big Horn trim level or above. You will be surprised on how will this truck handles and tows a load. These trucks will tow up to a 17,000 LB + trailer with ease. The truck is equipped with a two-stage exhaust brake and with tow haul mode this will maintain the set engine speed down a 6% slop. They are all SAE J2807 Compliant for towing.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #4

You don't need a diesel to pull the 38' TT, but going diesel one ton now will future proof yourself, maybe you might get the bug to find a 38' 5er for more storage, or just the layout and shorter towing length.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #5

OP:

You'll get many different opinions on the "right" truck. They all have pros and cons, but as far as the gas vs. diesel argument, in my opinion you will be much more pleased with the diesel. As long as your doing the upgrade, go BIG and do the crew cab DRW models. The 4x4 thing can be debated both ways also, so you need to determine that for your particular driving needs.

I have a 2002 Silverado 3500 CC DRW 4X4 long bed w/ Duramax/Allison drive train and love it. The newer trucks of similar model have a bit more weight/tow capability now, but I own it and it's only got 143,000 miles so it's gonna work for me for a while longer I think. One advantage with the older model is I don't have the DEF issues, or some of the newer EPA restrictions.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #6

I agree to buy a truck for your next trailer -- if you're going to start traveling more then a 5th W. could be in your future, so diesel... if your current TT is the last 1 you'll own then I'd say ur fine with gas!

Ur going to to wish u had a diesel 20-30 days a year when ur towing the mountains IF you're not ok with low MPGs & 4800rpm up those long grades...

I went back and forth ALLLLLL winter on F250 6.2 vs 6.7 -- ended up going 6.2 because I'll only do 75 South 2-3 a year (mountains) and will only tow 10 times a year!! (10 trips to/fro = 20times I might say I wish I had a diesel)

>
I LOVE my F250 gasser... pulls by 38' TT /8000lb Passport easily
6Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:17 PM   #7

***side note; I've towed only 80 miles with new truck and ZERO highway -- avg 8mpg that 80mile trip
Old 03-14-2017, 06:54 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
I went diesel and I'm glad... towing power and better towing mileage can't be beat! I can't say for sure but if I had it to do over, knowing what I know now, I might be driving an F-250 instead of the Ram. I do believe the Cummins is the better engine but I've had too many small problems that keep turning into major hassles. But, really getting the truth out of my Ford-monger friends, they've had about the same. And... GM = Chevy = GM = Chevy. They're the same truck. I really think it's a toss up anymore as to which one of the big 3 is better. Buy the brand you like and best of luck with it. As has been said so many times... I'll never go back to a gasser for towing.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Chev or GMC. Same girl different dress. [emoji3]
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:06 PM   #10

As in all, ALL, Gas vs Diesel debates it comes down to $$ 1st (then NEED)!!! If you can afford new gas - you can afford used diesel! No one should ever debate pulling power/characteristics in the 2.....

my camping buddy bought a 2017 RAM 6.7 and he loves it - got 15mpg on the same trip as me (above)...... BUT, he paid about $16k more than me too!!! (Mine was used 15' ford w/22k miles).... I can pay for a lot of maintenance and gas with $16k!!!

We will both end up at our destinations -- he will do it much quicker over the next few years but we will only "break even" when we go to sell em' & his sells in the first week as mine will sit for a while!!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #11

And, make sure and look closely at the cargo capacity on 3/4 ton trucks. On the RAM the cargo capacity of the beastly CTD is actually pretty wimpy. If a guy were to stay within the listed cargo capacity on a RAM 2500 4 door truck and go with a 5th wheel he couldn't get a very big trailer. Most of them run in the 1800-2000 lb range. By the time you load up the truck that gives you very little pin weight capacity.
I have a gas RAM and although it's cargo capacity is 1,000 lbs more than the comparable CTD, I wish I would of got a 3500 CTD.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #12

To the original poster, we towed our 10000 pound (scaled) 30 ft 5th wheel for 2 years with a 2011 Tundra. We tow about 10000 miles a year as we are retired and snowbird from Alberta, Canada to Arizona and California and in summer pull all through mountains of British Columbia and Alberta. So have some experience of how Tundra tows. However because I was over GVWR on Tundra by approx. 400 pounds I sadly traded it off on a 2011 Ford Super Duty with 6.2 gas with 4.30 rear axle. As far as handling goes no discernable difference. I would compare the Tundra to a race horse and the Ford to a plow horse but have gotten used to the dead response feeling. As to pulling the Tundra handled steep mountain uphills with less RPM than the Ford as it peaks its torque 900 rpm lower. On level pulls I prefer the Ford as it will pull better in 6th gear which the Tundra seldom did. For instance yesterday we pulled from Tucson west to Why, AZ, light head wind but pulled mostly in 6th gear at 1800 RPM at 60 mph. Mileage towing is very similar, not towing on highway Tundra was atleast 3 MPG better. Would advise you to try and get the 4.30 axle, hard to find used but if buying new probably need to order as few dealers stock them. For 2017 Ford had raised the torque and lowered the RPM it peaks so should pull stronger than mine. Of course many say you need a diesel, who wouldn't love more power but I like the simplicity and reliability of the gas. Some comments make me wonder how we ever towed anything before the days of our powerful diesels! Good luck with whatever you decide.
TECH 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #13

If you are now towing with ' no issues' why look for a different 'bigger' truck? Just keep the perfect set-up you already have. Try it and then make a decision if you need a bigger truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #14

To the OP, you already have several opinions on gas or diesel. Thats why they build both. You mentioned a Silverado,,, This is my first Chevy, (bought new, now 1.5 yrs old see sig) and so far I Love it !!! It is comfortable on long trips, I like that it has gauges the rams I looked at did not. (don't bash me ,, all I have owned until now was Mopars) I liked the looks of this truck, had more rear room for our kids (Great Danes) etc... It is my daily driver, but also pulls a 9000 lb 5vr. The wife even said its more comfy than our previous class A . Its a pleasure to drive,, even in winds out west. being a trucker off and on for 37 yrs. I LOVE the diesel, especially as noted before the exhaust brake. Price, sure they cost more,,, but for me, I hope this is my last truck... I'm a happy camper !!!! (well, I'd be happier retired so we could camp more,,,,)
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas