Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 2003 year started with the 7.3L and ford introduced the 6.0L. even into 2004 there was a host of warranty problems, lots of Ford buy backs and it was warranty claims into the millions. There was a lawsuit between International Harvester (maker of the engine) and Ford. The 2005's were better but still a lot of problems. If you got a good one, it was not too many problems...but a bad one was bad.

The V-10 is a good engine and the way to go if you have been happy with one in the past. The gasser does use more fuel and is cheaper on oil changes. My 7.3L holds almost 15 quarts with the filter. Oil filers are about $12.00, fuel filter $25.00 and air filters about $25.00.

But it is a power monster and I would not easily go back to a gasser for towing.

For the size trailer you have and I had the choice of a used 6.0L PSD or a 6.8L V-10, I believe I would go with the V-10. I have know too many folks with even 2005 and a few 2006 6.0L PSDs with problems like bad injectors, blown turbos and blown head gaskets. If you chip a 6.0L you are asking for more problems.

Basically the 6.0L is an item to avoid in my opinion...much like the Chevy Vega (remember them?) or the GM 350 CID passenger car diesel.

Honestly, if I had to get another diesel truck and used, I'd look at the 5.9L Dodge Cummins and the Chevy Duramax.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #16

Thanks, you guys are really helpful!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #17
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
If you're looking at a specific 6.0 liter Ford you can always take the VIN number to any Ford Dealer and ask them for a print out of the service history. If it's one of the bad ones it'll surely have a history on it. But, as the previous posts have said, the safest way to avoid a problem would be to avoid any Ford with the 6.0 diesel.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:00 AM   #18

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
If you're looking at a specific 6.0 liter Ford you can always take the VIN number to any Ford Dealer and ask them for a print out of the service history. If it's one of the bad ones it'll surely have a history on it. But, as the previous posts have said, the safest way to avoid a problem would be to avoid any Ford with the 6.0 diesel.
To each his own.
But to paint all the Ford trucks with 6.0 diesel engines as dogs to be avoided is in my humble opinion, painting them with a VERY broad brush.

I have two Ford diesels, both with 6.0 engines. The 2005 F-250 crew cab pickup has experienced ZERO, repeat ZERO issues and has 75K on the clock. It runs great and pulls like a twenty mule team. The van, an 2004 E-350 Super Duty converted to a mobile pet grooming shop, had ONE problem. The crank position sensor, an ELECTRONIC part, failed. Replaced the sensor, the engine started back up and runs great, pulling around 5 tons worth of van. That van has 138K on the clock, and we are the second owner. It was originally a fleet vehicle.

My sister has a 2004 F-250 Harley-Davidson. She loves it. The only problem she had was a engine wiring harness that was replaced under warranty (more on that below). It NEVER gave her trouble, but Tropical Ford in Orlando replaced the harness free, and gave her a loaner vehicle while they awaited parts.

All of these vehicles have been serviced per the manufacturer's recommendations and are bone stock mechanically. I fully agree that the 6.0 engine is not a candidate for chips to give you 'more power'. Ford's engine management system already runs the engine over its original design rating in the F-series pickup. In essence, you are adding a chip to a chip when you modify the 6.0 as it comes in the F-series pickups.

The 6.0 in the E-350 van, and the VT365 International engine (which is what the 6.0 engine was when it left the engine plant in Indianapolis, Indiana or Huntsville, Alabama) is not 'hot rodded' at the Ford factory and for all intents and purposes is practically bulletproof.

Stay away from the chips and tuners, make sure the truck has a clean OASIS report, (if the Ford dealer won't give you one, ask on one of the many Ford diesel forums for help) and get a 2005 to 2007 version, and you should not experience problems. The 2004 had a wiring harness issue corrected by recall. I would stay away from a 2003, there were too many teething troubles on that year.

All the best,

Richard

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:38 AM   #19

Well, if we are going to get into the nitty gritty of reliability. Our 7.3L has had 2 wire loom failures, lost a turbo. All of which was cover under warranty. But these are systems external of the motor. The motor it self I still consider rock solid.

It is common for turbos to go, towing or not.

I have driven a 6.0L, in stock form, it did out perform my 'chipped' 7.3L.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:45 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
The gas mileage is now bending in favor of diesels--on my trip up north I have seen places where diesel is cheaper then gas and if it wasnt it was only an average of 5 cents more--so the gas mileage goes to diesel now.
steelpony555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #21

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
To each his own.
But to paint all the Ford trucks with 6.0 diesel engines as dogs to be avoided is in my humble opinion, painting them with a VERY broad brush.

I have two Ford diesels, both with 6.0 engines. ......
Exactly, and again, that is my thoughts too,
I put more value in hearing about the years to avoid, or the engine to avoid, from those who have driven them for years.

The highly respected 7.3 diesel that everyone rants favorably about was backed up with the 4r100 tranny which kept some service repair shops quite busy, including mine for the first couple years. So what was worse ... the tranny problem of some 7.3's or the CPS problem of the 6.0's ?
(notice my overkill solution to that diesel's 4R100 tranny problem in my sig)

I don't know what kind of tranny the gassers were running in the same years the 7.3 diesels were being sold. Maybe the gassers had their own problems.

But I think that painting all 6.0's as avoidable is a huge overkill. My 7.3's tranny will never fail again, and I suspect that any problematic 6.0's are now also stabilized. So the bulk were solid performers. The ranting about 7.3's tranny in those years also convinced many squackers to stay away from them. Now they are considered gold. ?!

The Ford v Dodge v Chevy 'ONLY' arguement is better suited for barroom chatter.

I think it all boils back down to just 'Gas v Diesel' not brand wars, and the number of miles you really intend on towing. The extra $4k for diesel can buy a lot of gasoline.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #22

Since we're being "fair" here, I should say that first model year Dodge 6.7 Liter diesels (debuting 2007) are possibly problematic. Also a computer "flash" problem. My company truck ate it's particulate filter because of a bad computer process. All fixed under warranty.

I own a second year 2008 Dodge 6.7 with no issues to date.

Older 5.9L Dodges also had tranny problems with the 4 gear automatic. Make sure you don't get the 'shift of death' at 35 MPH. To test this, drive at 35-40 mph smoothly for about 3 miles and see if the tranny jumps between 3rd and 4th gear. My 99 dodge had that problem, and I was looking at having to put in a new tranny. It was just a lucky thing that I flipped it first :(.

I have heard the duramax has had similar computer tweaking issues its first year, so let's kind of ease up on that Ford 6.0. All first years kind of suck. S'why you never want to buy one

OVERALL, I'd say diesels are more reliable and long-lasting than their available gas brothers currently and recently available.

If I had to go gas again, I'd go Chevy 350 pre-Vortec, though. Mine was a reliable one, it just ate gas.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #23

How do I know if a truck has a chip or tuner?

What's an OASIS? Can I get one on any used vehicle?
Old 05-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayvd View Post

don't know what a OASIS is, I have used CAR FAX before and recommend that.

As far as knowing if a truck has ever had a chip or tuner, no way, other than someone telling you that they had one, then it a gamble if you want to buy one that had a HOT tunner/chip and that any damage had been done to shorten life of motor or drivetrain.
That reason alone, I will never buy a used diesel.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:35 PM   #25

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayvd View Post

1. You don't know if a truck HAD a chip or a tuner without getting a FACTORY diagnostic computer attached to the OBD-II port and knowing what to look for. Older trucks can have any trace of a chip or tuner erased by removing the battery power for at least 1/2 hour. Newer trucks have non-volatile memory chips that store the out of specification readings in memory. If the manufacturer finds this evidence, your warranty is voided on the engine.

2. OASIS = Online Automotive Service Information System. It is Ford's proprietary database that shows the warranty and dealer service history of every Ford vehicle from womb to tomb. Any recall work, any warranty work, any maintenance done at the dealership will show up on an OASIS report. Getting your oil changed at an independent shop WON'T show up on an OASIS report, but MAY show up on other databases.

The factory reps look for things like non-factory wiring and holes in the firewall, evidence of after-market equipment that has been removed, gauge packages that show exhaust gas temperature and boost that are not factory installed, and plumbing for nitrous and propane injection. Even a K&N air filter will make them look harder for a chip or tuner. If they find one, your engine warranty is void. That information ALSO goes into OASIS.

Find a bone-stock vehicle that shows good maintenance records, and you should have no problems. If the Ford dealer will not give you an OASIS report on the Ford truck you want, go elsewhere.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote