Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #15

The trailer gvwr is 7850 but I'm likely well under that because I've been very careful not to over load. I will have the payload that I'm missing on the Expy. Tow capacity with the Expy was never a problem nor was power. Never felt under-powered with the 5.4. And I'm gonna check at warranty now!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #16

I had a 5.4 f250 to pull a 6,000 pound trailer...what a dog. It was a 2010 and could barely maintain hiway speed without a trailer...downshifted all the time even on small hills.

I upgraded to a 7,300 pound travel trailer, towed it once and swapped trucks. I looked for a v10, but could not find a good one. Bought a GMC 6.0 and it pulls very well. I was absolutely amazed at the difference between a 5.4 and a 6.0.

I liked the Ford better overall, but the GM is a betterr hauler....just my opinion

Zogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #17

$150 oil change? Wow...somebody's getting in your pocket unless you've changed the system to the Lucas dual filter system and are running the 16 qts of Lucas full syn. and both Lucas filters, but that's a once a year deal.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #18

No contest for towing. Diesel will blow gas away EVERY time. Even big blocks can't compare with the D towing torque. Despite what you might hear, diesels require no more maint than gas, BUT, you need to keep up with D maint., as replacing a neglected diesel engine is more expensive that replacing a gas engine. GM has the Allison trans.....blows all others away and every since they change the engine design to the LBZ, (then the LLY and now the LMM), the Duramax can't be beat.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFPD View Post
No contest for towing. Diesel will blow gas away EVERY time. Even big blocks can't compare with the D towing torque. Despite what you might hear, diesels require no more maint than gas, BUT, you need to keep up with D maint., as replacing a neglected diesel engine is more expensive that replacing a gas engine. GM has the Allison trans.....blows all others away and every since they change the engine design to the LBZ, (then the LLY and now the LMM), the Duramax can't be beat.
Just a quick question, I am new to the Duramax Diesel have heard for years the same thing. I am looking to buy one in the future. What is the differnce between the LLY and LMM?
Thank You for your response.
Scott
Old 06-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFPD View Post
Despite what you might hear, diesels require no more maint than gas,...
That's contrary to my experience.

I owned a '99.5 F-250 with 7.3L diesel for over 10 years and almost 200,000 miles.

Oil change required 15 quarts of oil vs. 5 or 6 on most gasoline engines. My oil change interval (OCI) as determined and verified by oil analysis was 5,500 miles, which was about the same as a gasser back then.

Oil filter was twice as big and cost about twice as much as an equal-quality oil filter for a gasser.

I've never replaced a fuel filter on a gasser, but my fuel filter/water seperator filter on the diesel had to be changed about once a year.

Coolant on the diesel engine had to be maintained by periodically adding supplemental coolant additive (SCA). I've never added anything to the coolant on my gassers.

Diesels don't have spark plugs, but they do have glow plugs that have to be replaced periodically. Glow plugs cost a lot more than spark plugs.

So everything considered, the cost to maintain a diesel will be a little more over the long haul. Not a huge difference in maintenance costs, but definitely a difference.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post

That's contrary to my experience.

I owned a '99.5 F-250 with 7.3L diesel for over 10 years and almost 200,000 miles.

Oil change required 15 quarts of oil vs. 5 or 6 on most gasoline engines. My oil change interval (OCI) as determined and verified by oil analysis was 5,500 miles, which was about the same as a gasser back then.

Oil filter was twice as big and cost about twice as much as an equal-quality oil filter for a gasser.

I've never replaced a fuel filter on a gasser, but my fuel filter/water seperator filter on the diesel had to be changed about once a year.

Coolant on the diesel engine had to be maintained by periodically adding supplemental coolant additive (SCA). I've never added anything to the coolant on my gassers.

Diesels don't have spark plugs, but they do have glow plugs that have to be replaced periodically. Glow plugs cost a lot more than spark plugs.

So everything considered, the cost to maintain a diesel will be a little more over the long haul. Not a huge difference in maintenance costs, but definitely a difference.
SmokeyWren is right, as usually is the case. Me personally, I'm not sold on me getting a diesel. While it would be nice when towing, I also use my truck as a daily commute back and forth to work. Diesels aren't made for that type of "work".

My truck has a 7.5 liter engine. I don't see any change in gas mileage when I tow, but even with that big of an engine I do slow significantly going up hills, but I don't mind. I take it easy when I drive, I'll get there when I get there no worries.

Also my trailer is a low profile lite fifth wheel. I don't need a big dually diesel to tow it. Gvwr for the trailer is 5700 lbs. I had it fully loaded and didn't even see my truck squat with it on there for a 10 day camping trip.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
I would buy a diesel if I was only hauling groceries from the store. In fact, that's pretty much what my wife does with her F-250. We have been a 2-diesel family for the last 16 years and I have been driving them since the early 80's. I have my reasons, some being personal preferences and some being economics. Personally, I like the torque and lack of down shifting and the overall feel of a diesel.

On the economics side, go price a used V10 and a comparable diesel, with over 100K. All of our fleet trucks are diesels and it's not due to towing heavy loads, it's because of the longevity. Granted it is more expensive to change oil but with today's diesels, that is much less often. I pay $65 for a Rotella T oil change and filter. I change the fuel filter every 20K. No need for synthetic oil unless it makes you feel better. Out of all my diesel trucks, a couple over 250K, I have only had to change glow plugs once. Then there's always the fuel mileage of a diesel over a comparable gasoline truck, both towing and empty.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #23

I drive a new F450 bucket truck that has a V10 gas burner. At 4500 miles it is getting a grand total of 6 MPG and it only has a fiberglass bed on it, instead of the steel ones that we are used to having. These new trucks have a hard time running interstate highway speed without anything behind them, and on moderate hills they are at wide open throttle to keep up with the loaded 18 wheelers! I am sure glad that I did not invest my money on a ford V10 tow vehicle.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinc2011 View Post
I drive a new F450 bucket truck that has a V10 gas burner. At 4500 miles it is getting a grand total of 6 MPG and it only has a fiberglass bed on it, instead of the steel ones that we are used to having. These new trucks have a hard time running interstate highway speed without anything behind them, and on moderate hills they are at wide open throttle to keep up with the loaded 18 wheelers! I am sure glad that I did not invest my money on a ford V10 tow vehicle.
An f-450 is really different than an f-250. F-450's are classified as a medium duty truck, as such they should have something more significant than a V-10. Or if they have a gasser they need to have a lot of gears. I work with old farm trucks hauling hay that have 454's in them, what makes those effective is the gears that they have. They have a standard 5 speed with a four speed gear box behind that.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #25

These new F450 aerial lift trucks have the special suspension and are factory equipped wilt 105 psi load range G tires. I was remarking about how little power they had when compared to a worn out 1997 truck that it replaced
Old 06-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #26

Seems to me something else might need to be considered. Based on your picture, you seem to have a growing family. Most families outgrow what they are camping in currently, so why buy a truck that is marginal for what you currently have when in a few years you'll most likely need/want a bigger trailer? If you donít buy a little extra truck now you wonít have enough truck to grow in the near future.

Most replies have recommended staying away from a 5.4 and going diesel. I would also recommend going diesel with this exception; stay away from a Ford with a 6.0l. The engine itself is sound but has some serious shortcomings that can be expensive to repair.
FishaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #27

Thanks again all, the family isn't getting any bigger I made sure of that 6 years ago and almost 40.. Just look great for my age . Also, I jumped at the 5.4 F250 Lariat. Test drove a few diesels and essentially at my price point, I was giving up comfort and a newer truck for one with more power. There were some negative posts about the 5.4 but there are plenty good reviews too. So far we love the truck and this weekend we are going to be heading to jellystone in Java New York which is about a hour drive, so I will update on my towing experience when I get back. I know it will be fine since for the most part my expedition towed it fine, just a lot of bounce and bad with any wind on the thruway. Never feel under powered though. We shall see!!
Old 06-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Something doesn't seem right here. Folks ard talking about shifting in and out of gear and down shifting. Look at my sig. I have.some issues but NEVER hang a tranny jump around on me. Are you folks driving without over drive? Sounds like most of you are towing in over drive. I tried it once years ago and the tranny did just what most of you describe. I personally wouldn't tow with a 5.4 either. My pop has one and it does suck. But, you stated you have no issues with your expedition then why worry about it? Like someone posted, plan for the future. You will most likely gain the need to tow more as you camp so think big now. I want to add a golf cart in the bed of mg truck so pick up only for me. And possibly a small boat on a ladder rack...

poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote